How can Norwegian improve it's 'image'

Giantfan13

Are you telling me that the cruiseline does not control lines on its ship? I find that hard to believe. TSA doesn't won the ship, the cruiseline does.

If the line you're referring to is the line of people on the ship waiting to get off, I agree it is the cruise line's responsibility.

If it was the line waiting to clear through customs and immigration on the pier after the passengers were off the ship, it is not in the cruise line's control.

I find lots of free t-shirts & towels up by the pool. On my last cruise, I scored some Crocs, a bathrobe, a Rolex watch and a bucket with two and a half beers. :D Thanks NCL!

I think it was a Frolex (fake-rolex) though.... I think I'd have left the 1/2 beer..... :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by JLC@SD viewpost.gif

How can Norwegian improve it's 'image'

This will be difficult since they own what I consider the two ugliest ships afloat.....the Prodie of America and soon to sail Epic.

I also think the "hull art" cheapens the entire fleet image.

The "hull art" is what I love the best! :p

Indeed - All I think of when I see a RCCL Ship or Princess or any other ship is, "Look, there goes another blah ordinary cookie cutter ship that looks exactly the same as all the others." Now, NCL ships may all have relatively the same profile, but their hull art makes them special. We become possessive over it. I think my heart wil truly break if they paint over (or peel off?) the Statue of Liberty on the port side of Dawn's hull when she starts living in Miami. The Norwegian Sky (FNA Pride of Aloha, but before that she started life as the Sky) now serves Florida and the Bahamas... Even though they changed her name back to Sky, she still (at least according to the pictures on the ncl site) bears her Hawaiian Leis.... I'm not saying the Art makes the ship any better. I am saying the Art makes the ship Norwegian. The Art makes the ship unique. The Art makes the ship our "home away from home."

Now, in terms of the profiles of the POA and the new Epic, I agree they are a horror to look at. However, we sail in them not around them. You'll never see me turn down a cruise because of the way a ship looked. ALL ABOARD!

And I Thank You,

JWK: NCL Hull Art Booster

Embarking and disembarking are now relatively pain free

Perhaps sometimes. But I picked my wife up in NYC from the Gem a few months back and disembarkation took nearly 3 hours (and she was in the first priority group having checked luggage--from what she told me there was no semblance of any line and it was just a slow, tedious process; there were even a couple of fistfights with some in line and line cutters). Even at 12:30 there were still people getting off the ship, and the process started around 9:00. All this time I had nowhere to park at the pier and kept being chased away from sitting by the pcik up/dropoff curb by traffic "police" and forced to drive around the blocks again and again.

That may not be the "usual" experience, but it is the last time i will pick anyone up from the NYC piers. I would think this could use improvement.

Here again is my question with people on disembarkation day! WHAT IS THE EVER-LOVING RUSH TO GET OFF THE BOAT?! You're still on vacation. Don't get off the ship until they throw you off! When My Lee and I are on any cruise (and you can see we've been on a few), we take our time in the morning. We go have breakfast (most recently at Cagney's). We take a last stroll around the ship. We go laugh at the people who (in NY) line up at 6:30 in the morning to get off when the ship is still passing the STATUE OF LIBERTY! You can't get off before the ship is docked and cleared! GO BACK TO BED! Take your time getting off the boat.

And from the perspective of picking up the person, in terms of pulling into the piers, on the west side at any rate, you can pull over before you even get to security. Wait where the Garbage trucks ordinarily line up. Call your people (or make arrangements before the cruise) and ask them when they'll be getting off the boat. That way, you don't have to shuffle all around waiting. NYC has been the easiest and most hassle-free port of which to get in and out.

And I Thank You.

JWK: Pier 88 Booster

WHAT IS THE EVER-LOVING RUSH TO GET OFF THE BOAT?!

NYC has been the easiest and most hassle-free port of which to get in and out.

I'll agree with your first statement: hang around until they throw you off.

But as far as NYC being "easy?" Sure it is, as long as you live at the pier. If you have to drive home home, there are a FEW places that are a little more pleasant to drive in than Manhattan.v:)

Here again is my question with people on disembarkation day! WHAT IS THE EVER-LOVING RUSH TO GET OFF THE BOAT?! You're still on vacation. Don't get off the ship until they throw you off! When My Lee and I are on any cruise (and you can see we've been on a few), we take our time in the morning. We go have breakfast (most recently at Cagney's). We take a last stroll around the ship. We go laugh at the people who (in NY) line up at 6:30 in the morning to get off when the ship is still passing the STATUE OF LIBERTY! You can't get off before the ship is docked and cleared! GO BACK TO BED! Take your time getting off the boat.

I'm with you wait until the very last minute until they drag you off kicking and screaming!! Seriously, savor every single minute till your next cruise:D

I'll agree with your first statement: hang around until they throw you off.

But as far as NYC being "easy?" Sure it is, as long as you live at the pier. If you have to drive home home, there are a FEW places that are a little more pleasant to drive in than Manhattan.v:)

That may be but there are very few as "exciting" as NYC.:cool:

I must jump back in here for a moment. I just used the T-shirt as an example. Plus, if anyone thought that all these T-shirst couldn't be gotten for pennies, then they are mistaken. I was alluding to just simple things, like a bag, a shirt, anything that might bear the NCL logo, which would result in free advertising. I, also, wasn't saying NCL needed a big image changing thing, maybe my wording was a bit mislading. I have an old 'Dive-In' T-shirt we got from the Norway. We got it for free when we booked a certain excursion. I wear it every once in a while, but I'll be darn, everytime I do wear it around, some one comments on the "Dive' aspect, or the Norway connection. Sorry, but when people on the street see something they can relate to, they talk about it, and the more people that talk about NCL, can't hurt the crusie line.

Again, I wasn't inferring that NCL needs a new image upgrade, but there are certain areas where people feel changes could be made. For all the money that they spend on those radio ads, advertising all their big sales, and when I check them out, I find, not much IS on sale. THAT could use a boost.

From my point of view and I am a regular NCL Cruiser I am always felt short changed by the Shrimp Cocktails so now I don't even bother. We just sailed Carnival and ordered Shrinp Cocktails every night and they were wonderful. This is a bit overboard by NCL to cheapen the overhead cost.

Platnum Member on NCL in Ohio

I have a different view of NCL as it pertains to its image as being a long time cruiser on RCL I just was not thrilled about NCL all though they had many restaurants from what I read they were so-so and that there were long waits it just seemed like it was not something I was interested in trying.

When Freestyle 2.0 came out I felt that NCL was investing in their product and was trying to raise the bar which I felt was a great step they seemed to be addressing what their customers were asking. As RCL started to cut into their perks and benefits and believe me they have taken a knife to their Crown and Anchor program I started to become less and less thrilled with RCL and NCL started to become more viable especially when I saw both TV shows about the Pearl and not only did it sway me but I booked our first NCL cruise for this December. As I read more and more about NCL the more I realized how much NCL offers.

What seems to work for me with cruising is the total on board experience, from Service which is key, to the quality and variety of food offering, activities and entertainment. What I liked about RCL was the little things they did like the coupon book which now has gone down hill, to the little gifts they left in the room for being a Crown and Anchor member which are now gone. It was those little touches they made the cruise experience special the on board experience is still good but those extra touches are now gone.

I get the feeling that NCL has up their game when companies are downsizing and cutting NCL seem to take the other road and invest in their product. It made me take notice, it made me want to book NCL and to add something more on our first cruise they offered us a fantastic OBC, a $100 discount on our cabin in addition to a military discount have you ever tried to get a military discount on RCL? I never seen one . I never ever got that kind of OBC on RCL, Our mini suite on the Pearl was less then a standard balcony on RCL. It sure made me a fan and if you asked me a year ago if I would sail NCL I would of said no.. I feel that every time I read a review about the Pearl and have seem some really awesome reviews it only enhances their image in my eyes.

Even the Epic which is one ugly ship I have warmed up to with that they are offering.

Here again is my question with people on disembarkation day! WHAT IS THE EVER-LOVING RUSH TO GET OFF THE BOAT?! You're still on vacation.

JWK: Pier 88 Booster

Gee, is is just possible they might have a plane to catch?

I can honestly say I have never had a whole lobster on an NCL ship since 1988 except for in Cagney's on the Dawn. I believe they have even gone to tails in Cagney's.

If you want a whole tail in the main dining room just ask for both half's and your request is complete. In fact on the Dawn right now you can have it every night in Venetian that we could never do in days gone by. ;)

Agree with you 100%, time2cruise1. We've never had a whole lobster in the DR on NCL, Celebrity or Cunard. Actually the only time were grilled halves done on the BBQ on Windstar on Christmas Day and they were out of this world.:D

Must say I used to order the whole Maine lobsters at Cagney's (for a fee), but apparently those suckers are a hard thing to maintain and keep fresh for long, so they've sadly been "deep sixed.":o Last time I had the 2 lobster tails at Cagney's and must say - not much flavor. Back to the lamb chops for me.

I actually found the small tails in the DR's quite tasty and you can have as many as you want.

I've lost count of my total cruises with many different cruise lines (15, I think) and of those the last 7 were on NCL. We will continue cruising on NCL because we like to pack light (no formal clothes), enjoy eating when we please, think the customer service is mostly very good. Our last cruise was to Bermuda on the "Spirit" and we found our beds VERY comfortable. We were prepared to ask our cabin stewards for "egg crates" but didn't need to. The brand of lotion and soap in the bathroom were an improvement. My daughter loved the morning stretch class and walked every day on the promenade deck.

Very good fitness center and program.

However, what we noticed is an increase in trying to extract money from us -- high-priced drinks, fees for activities on the ship (tastings, tour of the ship, etc.), a special dinner offered for $65 and a brunch for an extra charge. I'm a bingo player and I know that gambling is a choice and the cruiseline always comes out the winner, but the payouts seem to be getting smaller while the charge for the "machines" is getting higher. Classes in the spa that were advertised as educational that turned out to be sales pitches. The doctor walking around in his white coat who was a salesman for treatments in the spa. Come on!

These are tough economic times and I think NCL is offering a bargain when it comes to the price of cruises, but then depends too much on extracting money from you once you're on the ship. It's tacky and we heard a lot of complaints from fellow cruisers.

But all in all, NCL is still our favorite cruiseline. I hope they can figure out other ways to make a profit. I'd be willing to pay a higher price for my cruise if they would back off on the hard sell once we came on board.

Jeanettep - you know I recently noticed the very same thing about the bingo.

I am not a bingo player but sat in with someone who was, they would buy the machine loaded with 96 or whatever cards and it cost them $59.

If you just play from a paper card you don't much of a chance it seems, I never saw anyone win from paper, always an electronic terminal.

I saw full house wins a number of times, nobody ever won within the 46 numbers which give the $2000 payout, and the total payout after that was $200 plus, never as much as $300.

On the last day they always used to have a guaranteed full house snowball jackpot of some thousands of $$$. Not any more.

It must be very profitable for NCL, however there seemed to be many less players than there used to be on previous similar cruises I've been on, maybe they have realized its not a very fair deal anymore?

Even the cruise staff hosting the event were somewhat halfhearted as though they didn't believe in the product any more either.

As a non gambler, non drinks buyer, non photo buyer non spa user I am quite happy for those folk who do partake in those things to subsidise my ticket.

It seems unfair but that is the way NCL are playing it, and those options are, of course, optional.

gee, couldn't they have scheduled a later one?

Depends on where they're coming from. *shrug*

I'm with you though... I hope I don't have to blow the relaxation of a cruise rushing to catch a flight, or to get off the boat by 9 am. :(

gee, couldn't they have scheduled a later one?

From my reading here, the answer is often NO!!

Lack of decent connecting flights, a job with NO latitude for returning late and numerous other factors often force cruisers into making a compromise with a leisurely departure because they have NO choice.

Same thing applies on deplaning airliners. Some people have arrived at their final destination with a loved one ready to meet and hug them, while others may have forty minutes to get themself and their carry-on two terminals away to the farthest gate in an airport with broken moving walkways.

A little compassion and understanding never hurt.

No matter where the port city is we need to end up in Milwaukee. It's great when we can stay on the ship until 10:00 or later like we did last year on the Star. I original comment on sidembarking is that one NCL you can crash in your cabin until your tag is called or you can meet friends in the atrium or wherever. Other lines require you to sit in a specific spot until called. But the airlines pretty much dictate when you have to leave the ship. A lot of the times if we take a later flight there are increased numbers of stops so the total flight time is more. :)

Archived