What is so special about Johnny Rockets?

I have read quite a few posts on people making such a big deal of Johnny Rockets to the extend that it could be a deal breaker in picking a RCCL ship. I don't quite get it.... I have been in a Johnny Rockets restaurant both on land and at sea and I did not really think much of it. It is just a shake and burgers restaurants, nothing extraordinary.

Please help me understand what is so special about this place on a cruise.

thanks,

I have read quite a few posts on people making such a big deal of Johnny Rockets to the extend that it could be a deal breaker in picking a RCCL ship. I don't quite get it.... I have been in a Johnny Rockets restaurant both on land and at sea and I did not really think much of it. It is just a shake and burgers restaurants, nothing extraordinary.

thanks,

I am with you, certainly nothing special. We have them here also, and never go, so don't go on the ship either. Actually, when we have gotten something on the ship from there - onion rings or fries, I get sick, so now I just never go there at all.

thanks,

nothing special at all. I didn't 'dine' there but am pretty sure it's as unhealthy as all the other JR's. Probably popular with the teen/younger croud as it is located by the sports deck/flow rider/rock climbing/teen area.

I keep saying I wish they'd get rid of it and put a chops in its place for the ships that do not have it. The only thing I like at JR is the oreo cookie sundae. I think the burgers are terrible.

I don't think they are all that special. I only ate there because I had a coupon in my C&A book. Only item I liked was the onion rings. Would I go back? No not unless I had another coupon. I heard the new C&A books do not have a coupon for a free trip to JR.

I think it's the novelty that you're in a Johnny Rockets on a *cruise ship* that brings the appeal. As others have pointed out, it's really no different than the land-based JRs. But like the Flowrider, rock climbing wall, ice skating, etc.. even if you have no intention of using them, it's neat to know they're there.

FYI: On both occasions I've been to Johnny Rockets on an RCCL ship, I kind of felt bad for the staff. They have to stop what they're doing every 30 mins or so and do a song and dance routine. They were obviously not into it and to be honest, the patrons provided attention only out of courtesy to them.

The onion rings are GOOD though.

It was ok to go to on a port day with the crown and anchor coupon. I hate the burgers. I liked the chicken sandwich. The fries are good but only if they are served piping hot. The onion rings are too greasy. The blt is paper thin, and the apple pie is very good. Other than that, I see no reason to go if I would have to pay. I think the appeal is you get to eat whatever you want and as much of it as you want. The singing waiters are cute the first time! I will not miss it.

Well I am one of the people in this world that do like them, we hve them locally and it is one of my favorite burger places. To each their own, we have a Fatbuger here and some people rave about them, I think THEY are overrated.

I also will not be going there again without a free coupon. It's not worth the cost IMHO.

It will be very interesting to see if attendance at JRs drops when there no longer is a coupon. We usually go once per cruise using the coupon, but will most likely not be going if we have to pay! Agree, not worth it.

My last trip on the Freedom, I let my kids go to JR once, and only because of the coupon. I'm not against JR, but when I go on a cruise, I want something different than I could get 10 minutes from my house. I would feel the same way if it was Chili's, etc.

Well i think its GREAT! We dont have a Johnny Rockets here in Wisconsin (we really dont have much lol jk :D) i think the burgers are GREAT and i love how the workers will dance! :D

Agreed! We don't have any in New Hampsha and we found that it was a great diversion on a sea day. The burgers are terrific. Those found in the Windjammer are like hockey pucks!

It seems as though this thread has a great many whiners today!;)

thanks,

Nothing that I can think of!

We always go to JR's at least once & depending on what we get up to on a cruise, sometimes more, it has nothing to do with the freebie coupon that has been done away with. We enjoy the "show" that the servers put on and the food is what we expect from a fast food joint, not the best for you for sure but hey once in a while, why not.

I have been to a JR's on land and thought it was terrible service and food.

For us JR's is part of the cruise experience, right up there with having at least 1 cup of the "Seattle's Worst" coffee and each venue that serves it just to see if it taste any better than it usually does, we've yet to be plesantly surprised.

I like JR's but not so much for the food but the experience. I enjoy the servers' dance. Everytime we have been they seem to enjoy it and the diners enjoyed it as well.

The food is okay. I loved the fries and the apple pie.

I also think it is a nice changed from the WJ. And if you want a burger, JR's are much better than what is in WJ. Fries are better too.

Archived