What is so special about Johnny Rockets?

I am not a fan of JRs either. Greasy burgers, fries and onion rings are just not my thing. There is one about 4 miles from my house, and I almost never go there. :eek:

Now, if they only had a good Chinese restaurant on board, I would be there every day!! :p

I guess to answer the OP's question about what is so special about Johnny Rocket's the answer is its a blast from the past. And if you don't know what I mean, it means that you are too young to know or remember growing up with the diners, juke boxes blaring, girls and guys on rollter skates bringing you your order, real chocolate malts, and people dancing in-between the booths and tables.

Are you old enjoy to remember "Happy Days?"

Johnny Rockets has the very best onion rings! But, it wouldn't matter to me one way or the other if the ships have the restaurant on them or not. I certainly don't book a ship for the Johnny Rockets restaurant. In fact, I only went there, because it was free with the coupon from our C&A booklet. If I had to pay, I wouldn't be eating there!

The onion rings at the seaview cafe on the Jewel are about as good as Johnny Rockets! Maybe it is the view that makes them taste sooooo good! :D :D :D

I think the appeal is you get to eat whatever you want and as much of it as you want.

People can pig out elsewhere on the ship, too.

Perhaps it feels different when you're sitting in a restaurant with a menu and you can still order as much of whatever you want. That, to me, seems to be the difference.

Okay good point, you can do that in the MDR, but JR feels more like a restaurant.

And greasy burgers and fries and onion rings are delicious.

Although I must admit I've only been on one ship since they put JR onto any of their ships and I DID have the free coupon...and I didn't use it. And now without that free coupon, chances are even less. Oh well.

We only went once...on the Freedom...because we had a coupon. No desire to go again. I'd rather they replace JR's with a Seaview Cafe.

I, too, would like to see the Johnny Rocket's venues replaced with Seaview Cafes. But the Seaviews will have to significantly increase their use of grease if they want to also please the Johnny Rocket's lovers!

We only went once...on the Freedom...because we had a coupon. No desire to go again. I'd rather they replace JR's with a Seaview Cafe.

I also will not be going there again without a free coupon. It's not worth the cost IMHO.

I don't think they are all that special. I only ate there because I had a coupon in my C&A book. Only item I liked was the onion rings. Would I go back? No not unless I had another coupon. I heard the new C&A books do not have a coupon for a free trip to JR.

only reason I went was with the free C&A coupon... not anymore

Johnny Rockets is totally overrated. Without the free coupon we will simply eat elsewhere.

In fact, I only went there, because it was free with the coupon from our C&A booklet. If I had to pay, I wouldn't be eating there!

If you read Adam Goldstein's blog, you'll know that this is the reason that they changed the coupon.

Sure, WE love getting things for free, but the coupon books, from RC's point of view, are NOT about freebies.

They are about getting us to BUY something.

If most of us (and I count myself among you) only go the one time, with a coupon for a free visit, then RC is not accomplishing its goal. If anything, it's counterproductive from Royal Caribbean's viewpoint.

So, that's the reason that the coupons have changed, Johnny Rockets being Exhibit A.

Well i think its GREAT! We dont have a Johnny Rockets here in Wisconsin (we really dont have much lol jk :D) i think the burgers are GREAT and i love how the workers will dance! :D

chris you are 15! if you DIDN'T LOVE JRs, we would have to question whether or not you are 15 or a heck of a lot older!!!!!!!!!!:p

go pack for camp!!!!;) and have fun! and don't get in trouble! why aren't you a camp counselor???

I will not go anymore....we used the coupons and bought shakes (which are pretty good) but it really isn't THAT good!

If you read Adam Goldstein's blog, you'll know that this is the reason that they changed the coupon.

Sure, WE love getting things for free, but the coupon books, from RC's point of view, are NOT about freebies.

If most of us (and I count myself among you) only go the one time, with a coupon for a free visit, then RC is not accomplishing its goal. If anything, it's counterproductive from Royal Caribbean's viewpoint.

So, that's the reason that the coupons have changed, Johnny Rockets being Exhibit A.

It's amazing that I could actually HEAR your voice when I read that! :D Miss you already! :o

My husband and I have eaten at Johnny Rockets several times; always with the coupon from the book. We both really enjoyed it! After so much "real" food, hamburgers and fries were a welcome change for us. In fact, even without the coupon, I'm sure we'll still go just for the change of venue and food.

How do you get a free coupon?

Apparently, you don't, anymore.

If you are a Crown & Anchor member, you would get a coupon book in your cabin. There are coupons for many different things, a free Johnny Rockets coupon is/was one of them.

Now I understand it is a buy one, get one free shake offer.

JR is much overrated. I would take In N Out Burger anyday.

Great New York type deli would be nice or a Mexican Restaurant...warm chips and salsa and margarita. Maybe a taco thrown in.

JRs are so small could not fit much in that space though.

Laura

My husband and I have eaten at Johnny Rockets several times; always with the coupon from the book. We both really enjoyed it! After so much "real" food, hamburgers and fries were a welcome change for us. In fact, even without the coupon, I'm sure we'll still go just for the change of venue and food.

Back in the old days when the food in the MDR was the level you now have to pay for, we used to say that by the time we got off the ship, we were ready for a Big Mac. We'd had enough of the flambed, sauced, sauteed food to last us for awhile (lol). Back to the basics!

As another poster mentioned, it was the only decent hamburger you could get on the ship although the ones in the dining room were at least freshly made and not sitting on a steam table for hours in their "juice." Actually I loved the sundae dessert and onion rings more and would sometimes order a weiner or grilled cheese to save room for the rings and dessert. It was a good change especially on a sea day on a 14 day cruise when the ship was empty and the same ole, same ole was in the WJ.

Notice the past tense in my post because we won't be going there anymore. While $4.95 is a very reasonable price for the meal, it is not like that is the only alternative for food. We don't have a JR around here but we do have Fuddruckers which has a pretty decent burger and a very good bun for our greasy hamburger fix.

I understand it was not heavily populated on our last cruise.

Tucker in Texas

If the board room's reasoning in canning the C & A freebie coupon was cause not enough C & A cruisers bought a "second round" of JR's then maybe they should have looked at either 1- improving the product offered since not too many were willing to pony up the tarriff or 2- can the program and change to something else that people would be willing to pay for. Any competent marketing and accounting department could tell you that! If their marketing department & accounting department figured that a 2 for 1 on those shakes that were 1/2 the size of the ones we got on out 1st cruise with the C & A coupon are going to be an enticement they must be joking. They would have to at least go back to the old size to have any chance!

We've only been to JRs once .... :D or as my DH would say, "Twice ... our first and last time!"

Honestly feel we went the wrong time! It was absolutely dead and so was the food! :eek: Even the fries were stone cold!

Hi Carol, I thought that the reason they started charging $4.95 was to get rid of the kids who used to hang out in there all day and night. At one time it was free do dine there. :confused:

Hi Carol, I thought that the reason they started charging $4.95 was to get rid of the kids who used to hang out in there all day and night. At one time it was free do dine there. :confused:

Back in 2004 the reason they started charging the $3.95 cover charge was supposedly to reduce waste and prevent it from being a teen "hang out" area, it worked in our opinion.

I think Carol is spot on with her explanation as to why they removed the coupons and upped the charge to $4.95.

###

The whole reason for the JR charge was the teens who would supposedly take over JR sit there for ever, order a lot if food only to leave it. Now the reason given was a lie. So now no "free" coupon because people don't go back a second or third time on a cruise. Huh? The two reasons don't jive.

Back in 2004 the reason they started charging the $3.95 cover charge was supposedly to reduce waste and prevent it from being a teen "hang out" area, it worked in our opinion.

I think Carol is spot on with her explanation as to why they removed the coupons and upped the charge to $4.95.

###

It will be interesting, however, to see how many people will now pay to dine in there..... Only time will tell. ;)

Archived