Past Celebrity Employee - Answering Your Questions

cruiseemployee

A couple of thank-you's:

To Cyberhankster: Thanks for your question regarding the best way to convey to ship's personnel that you are very appreciative of great service and are willing to recognize exemplary service with additional tipping. We are taking our first large-ship cruise aboard Princess in April. I do realize that each staff member has to take care of many passengers and would like to let our cabin steward know at the start of the cruise that we are willing to compensate him/her for fabulous service. This has given me ideas for the most appropriate way to go about this.

To Cruiseemployee:

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences/knowledge here. Although we're not sailing Celebrity (maybe next cruise:) ), I think quite a bit of what you have to say is applicable across cruise lines. Thanks for the insight!

Happy holidays to all!!

For C 2 C

Thank you for the reply. Actually, we are in Conceirge Class... so I'll follow Former Cruise Employees advise and send a note along expressing our appreciation for all the extra pampering opportunities.

Cyberhankster

I would also ADVISE that you get ADVICE from another EMPLOYEE (singular) or an EMPLOYEE'S advice, on how to get fewer errors in one sentence.....the CONCIERGE (A Concierge smoothes your way - making your reservations, providing directions, suggesting activities that will interest you)....

(I had to look it up because I've never used one and didn't know how to spell it)

:p

I think you're still yanking our chain.......

Thanks Cruiseemployee for some great info! I hope that there are more helpful and caring cruise staff left on Celebrity's ships -- we've noticed that the SOHOs and a lot of cruise staff have left in the past two years and we really miss running into old friends like Amanda on the M class ships.

DH and I have sailed on the Zenith, Galaxy, Millennium, Summit, Infinity and Constellation and loved every single cruise.

Merry Christmas,

Linda

Alright, just wanted to write a quick line to answer most of the questions I haven't yet. Sorry, but it'll just be a general message. First of all, regarding the tip up front. As far as I'm concerned most employees do treat everyone famously and we try to treat everyone equal. However, there are certain positions where a few extra bucks can work in your favour without anyone ever knowing. For example, in the housekeeping department; they might keep an extra eye on your door, get you that extra pillow, find a terry cloth (not sure how to spell that) bath robe, whatever you're hoping to get out of it. And in the restaurant, like was written before, having that extra lobster ready to go. It's entirely up to you. If you think it'll help, there's no harm in it.

As far as the Toga and martigras parties, thanks for your input. My guess is that the toga party would never fly. Not classy enough for celebrity. (but would be one hell of a time!!! I'd be in) Mardi Gras could work however, I like that idea. Lougee, you are right. The crew can buy liquor for very cheap. But just giving them a gift does hit home for the crewmember. Honestly, aside from cash, they usually don't recieve gifts. Or at least I never saw many. So when you do find a gift to give, they'll remember you. Trust me. The phone card idea is good as long as it's a CREW phone card. They are specially designed for crew to be used on the ship. Can only be purchased in crew areas by crew. So you would have to speak to someone to get you one to give as a gift. Sorry I didn't answer all the questions, but it's late and I have work tomorrow.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

I know that Celebrity is upscale and wants to maintain a certain image which I totally understand and actually appreciate:) . But I have to say that the Toga Night was on a very upscale cruiseline. Gosh, I'm having a brainfreeze because the line no longer exists, but it was not a low budget line in any way. It wasn't done in the fraternity sense at all. Needless to say, not everyone participated. It was actually done as a contest ... it was great fun.

Once again, thank you for a wonderful thread. Your answers and suggestions have always been professional. Even with a few doubting Thomas' along the way your responses have been courteous. Can't wait for our January cruise on board the Summitt. We'll be cruising Celebrity once again, but this time with more knowledge and insight thanks to you!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

Just want to pop in and wish everyone a Merry Christmas. I probably will be off line for today and tomorrow. 36 people coming for Christmas Eve supper and party! Whew! Seeing that in print is a bit overwhelming, but we will have fun. Then I can rest up for our Feb. 6 cruise on the Millie. Anyone else on that cruise? Bye for a while. Whoops, forgot to say a big "thank you" to formercruiseemployee. This thread is super.

Cruiseemployee, probably am opening a bag of worms, but a question: Is there a theft problem on ships? I'm usually very trusting, leaving cameras, computers, etc. in our cabin with no thought of anything happening. The jewelry is usually put in the safe. And on that same theme, is there a problem in the crew's quarters? How is it handled? I imagine you have a good security staff working the ship, but these things happen.

Garry

OK, I have been lurking in this thread since it started. I just want to say to cruiseemployee:

THANK YOU!!!

What an absolutely fantastic thread. Tips, advice and just good info from an insider. How many times on these boards have we asked a question that would be best answered by someone such as cruiseemployee. All we really would get is other cruiser's opinions, with a little insight now and again.

Cruiseemployee: Please keep it up, I have picked up on more than one tip you have passed on. Don't let anybody get to you, because all the rest of us really are enjoying this thread

TUGGERS,

I agree, I plan to tip them, because I know they work other venues throughout the day.

My husband thinks we should not tip the full I amount, I think we should (but I handle the envelopes, he will never know).

There was sushi, I think it was on the Mariner, but it could have been the Jewel.

I get my ships mixed up. They had one area in the Windjammer called Jade. It had all kinds of Asian/Oriental food. Now, that I think about it, I am pretty certain it was on the Mariner.

They had sushi on the Jewel, also, but not in a special station like JADE.

I don't know if sushi was offered at every meal, I don't like it , so I didn't pay attention. Maybe someone else will remember.

I hope I'm not repeating something someone else has said further down in the thread. Navigator of the Seas has Jade. I thought the food there was pretty good.

Cruiseemployee... do you long for the open sea? Are you happier now in your new job? Did your life at sea and interactions with passengers prepare you for your present postion?
That's a very tough question. Ship life is like a fantasy life. It's very surreal. Imagine going to beautiful beaches, smiling all the time, not having to worry about bills, not sleeping in a bed that doesn't move. Sounds ok right? And then there's the part where you're away from friends and family, working every day for 6 months straight. It's very tough to decide. Great way to live if you're young and unattached.

As far as my new position, I can't say that I'm happier as far as the job goes; but I am happy to have a stable job on land. Unfortunately, unless you're aspiring to become a cruise director, my job on the ship was a dead end position. My background included a degree and the ship job wasn't helping me use that degree.

Funny enough, when I started my position as activities staff I was not an outgoing person. I knew I had it in me, but I honestly had a very hard time speaking or hosting an event in front of people. I feared going up and talking to a random person I had never met. It was a challenge for me. I rose to this challenge and overcame that. Now I'm a very outgoing person thanks to that position. So it has helped me public speak and that sort of thing, but it hasn't helped in the current position I'm in. Hopefully some day it will when I'm CEO of a company....lol.

I'll always cherish my memories of ship life though...and wouldn't trade it for the world. In fact, if you're young and have nothing to hold you back, or know someone, DO IT!!!

Merry Christmas everyone.

Ienjoyed your responses to all of the questions.A former cruise member dates my next door neighbor and was a member of the orchrester on one of the celebrity ships.Based on your responses,you are telling like it is.Keep responding and have a Merry Xmas and a healthy and happy New Year.I am a veteran Celebrity cruiser and am sailing on my 17th Celebrity cruise on 1/7/2005

My friend and I both interviewed with NCL in Nov. He was hired!! They keep telling me that I should be getting a call and it has been weeks!! I am going nutty!

He got a job as a concierge. I am up for Activities Desk or Loyalty Ambassador (The person who co-host the Welcome Back party and books you for your next cruise.) Which do you think is the better position? Which one has the better perks and hours??? LOL!

I am so depressed waiting for them to call!!!! I hear they have 600 + to contact. They have 3 new ships in HI over the nest couple of years!

Your help would be ever so much appreciated.

P

.....Funny enough, when I started my position as activities staff I was not an outgoing person. I knew I had it in me, but I honestly had a very hard time speaking or hosting an event in front of people. I feared going up and talking to a random person I had never met. It was a challenge for me. I rose to this challenge and overcame that. Now I'm a very outgoing person thanks to that position. So it has helped me public speak and that sort of thing, but it hasn't helped in the current position I'm in. Hopefully some day it will when I'm CEO of a company....lol.........

I think that you will find one day that what you express as your learning experience onboard ship has given you a life course that will far surpass your degree.

To now be comfortable in situations where you were uncomfortable before, to be able to talk to just about anyone, to be able to get up in front of a large group and speak ... these are things that some people would give anything to accomplish.

Sometimes the smallest lessons are the ones that took the least amount of time to learn. You're going to look back someday and realize how much this experience has done for you.

May I wish you the most joyous of Christmases and a fabulous new year:)

As one of the first subscribers to this thread, it has been completely insightful on what goes on behind the scenes on things some of us passengers have always wondered about. Bravo! However, I was totally dismayed that there were portions of this thread that went very far off base that almost felt offensive. I had to scroll past ALL of those posts just to keep looking for posts that were RELEVANT to cruiseemployee's thread. Next time, please don't waste people's time by posting items that have no bearing. (Remember one thing - there are some people who might be reading the boards in a library where TIME is important!!!!!!)

Now, having gotten that off my chest........... cruisee, I have some questions for you.

What is your favorite and least favorite ports of call? I have heard that some of the crew on the Bermuda run from NYC say that it's their least favorite port since there is little to do there after dark.

I gather it's the CD/ACD that pretty much sets the activities for each trip. Does the staff have any input as to telling them which acitivities work and which doesn't and does that change from trip to trip?

Does the barstaff actually have input on which drinks to keep and which to drop off their menu, especially in the Martini Bar? We heard this from the bartender on our last cruise. It seems that my husband's drink, which could be classified as a scotch martini was taken off the menu as was the Chocolate Creamy Martini (I heard that it has since returned to the menu.)

How does the staff deal with spring breakers, teenagers and unruly children on a cruise? I know this has been a problem, especially with the holiday cruises? We were on the Century during spring break in 2002 and I have to admit that the Spring Breakers were really good.Lousy Karaoke singers, but they were good.Any idea what management has been thinking about this?

One burning question that I'm sure a lot of people speculated about: The shopping lecturer. Who chooses them and what is the criteria? Some were either very good or horrible.

Keep of the good work!

Anita

(PS to LoisR - Was Sudi one of the bartenders on the Connie?)

I was totally dismayed that there were portions of this thread that went very far off base

Well all that rhetoric practically ground to a halt (I being one who was rhetorical)... and yet, zigster (in an earlier post) and this poster seem to want to 'point it out' again to bubble it up to the surface. Why?

Next time, please don't waste people's time by posting items that have no bearing. (Remember one thing - there are some people who might be reading the boards in a library where TIME is important!!!!!!)

Now, having gotten that off my chest...........

Practice what you preach... including the time and bandwidth required to list past cruises....

:p

Archived