Past Celebrity Employee - Answering Your Questions

cruiseemployee

I would actually like to get everyone's opinion on something now. You've got my opinion so far; my turn. What other, if any, theme nights would you suggest a cruise ship do at night that would work well. We tried many different things. Some with rousing success, but you have to be original in order to move ahead. Any ideas? Austin Powers night has been done...

Celebrity always gets hammered for their entertainment in comparison to some other lines, so just wanted to find out what you thought.

Just a thought for everyone who's enjoying this thread ... I suggest we completely ignore the disgruntled posters. I don't know what their problem or agenda is, but if everyone simply pretends they're not there, they'll eventually tire and go away. Or simply put them on our "ignore" list for now and we won't even have to scroll past their posts.

We all know that there are a ton of different ships and cruiselines and one person's experience working on a cruiseship is not necessarily that of another person. It's just the same as any other business. These are Cruiseemployee's perceptions of his experience.

Cruiseemployee, I hope you don't just get fed up because so many of us are enjoying what you have to say and the time you're taking to respond. Thanks.:)

Give us your 'Top Ten' list of what makes bad cruise passengers!!!

Top Ten worst cruise guests

10. Someone who continues to save seats in the theatre for 10 others after we've told them that it isn't allowed. (I've seen people save seats with shoes, books, and even pool towels; in the theatre!!!)

9. Someone who comes on and complains for the sole purpose of getting a free cruise. (It's happened to me before)

8. Someone who has made a judgment about a cruise ship before they've even stepped on it. Each has their own atmosphere.

7. Someone who nitpicks about the smallest detail. Even if it doesn't affect their cruise. I realize that detail oriented is a major attribute for a cruise line, but things do fall through the cracks. (ex. a guy complained to me that there shouldn't have been a raised threshold on the floor in a place where there absolutely needed to be one.)

6. Someone who constantly says, "well on my last cruise with (another line), they didn't do it this way." Be open minded. Try something new. We accept constructive criticism though.

5. Someone who disagrees with an answer in a trivia even though we've conducted the same trivia each week for 12 weeks in a row. But they're right cause they're the expert!!!

4. Someone who has made it their mission to let everyone know that there was a problem with a certain thing. Sort of a rally the troops effort. Like if there was a problem with a shore excursion. Everyone should all of a sudden not go on one.

3. Someone who gets so competitive in a ping pong, shuffleboard, or basketball game that they get confrontational. This isn't the NBA here!!!

2. Someone who gets intoxicated and then screams and yells at their kids or spouse for all to see. (have seen that too many times, sadly)

1. Someone who insults the crew and puts them down when it wasn't their specific fault. (like I drive the ship). We'll help you, but don't go blaming us.

I'll admit, I did have a hard time coming up with this list, but it was rather amusing for myself.

They had Marketing People on the Constellation last week. I met one gentleman at Guest Services.....they know Cirque needs to be marketed differently. But the deal is sealed...they have a 6 Year Contract with X.

Themes? Maybe I am in the minority here....but my theme is already wonderful....being on a beautiful ship and being pampered.....that is fine with me:D

Understand you don't want to burn bridges and I don't think anything you have said so far would indicate you have. I will add however, crew prices for a beer are about 70 cents, at least according to a hungover asst. waitress we had ;). She still did a good job, just a little slower.

Question. If the SOHOs are gone who got dumped with the miserable job of arranging Medevacs and folks that passed away on the ship?

Thank you Cruisee' for your effort. While Celebrity is not my favorite cruiseline, I think it is great that you are trying to give an employee perspective to multiple subjects. Maybe by your answers 'most' of us can become more considerate and fun passengers!

Somebody a few comments back insisted he/she had rather get his/her facts and straight poop on the cruise itself.

Me too! Tell you what. You all pitch in, pay my cruise fare (you can even pick the ship and itinerary) and I will make a real effort to find out all the right info.

Since I was a news reporter my entire career, I know how to ask questions from the right people, ferret behind the scenes, tell all.

Of course, you might have a problem believing I am real honest to goodness news reporter -----

love

joan

Carry on, CruiseE. Some people don't believe nothin' they read. I know. I have printed thousands of words and still some people did not believe me.

Of course, some people can't read.

Cruiseemployee. You guys working on the ships do a great job and Celebrity is still my favorite after 15 total cruises. Will be on Horizon again for my fifth with Celebrity in Feb as I prefer the smaller ships. Will never do another Voyager class since when I got home I felt like I had spent the week at

Mall of America.

Theme nights. I must admit I'm not a huge fan, though I enjoy the sock hop. Some people bring costumes for these occasions, but I don't have room in my luggage. Luau nights are fun, especially around the pool with dancing, and one cruise we were on was over Valentine Day, and they made a special point of making a romantic evening for the guests. Since "most" of us are traveling with our honeys, that was very nice.

Cruiseemployee, do you have to go through any special training to know how to handle the bad behaviors of some of the guests? I have seen some of you placed in really awful situations with drunks and abusive language and have seen such a wonderful outcomes in the way it was handled, that I assume you have to go to classes.

As far as your number 1 bad guest statement, I really get upset when I see another passenger act this way, and have made a point to engage the crew member at a later time to tell them so.

Garry

As far as your number 1 bad guest statement, I really get upset when I see another passenger act this way, and have made a point to engage the crew member at a later time to tell them so.

Garry

I will have to agree with you on this one Garry. It was a rude pax that brought my Daughter to tears this past hurricane season. Till a CC'er with a video camera came to her rescue. Like it was her fault they missed a port.

Let me add my thanks here for all the good info you've taken the time to give us, cruiseemployee. There are always going to be a few people who just have to be the center of things and the way they do that is by constantly chiming in with differing opinions. It gets kind of funny, really, when you figure out that even they don't believe the drivvle they spout - it's just all an attention thing! So don't worry about them! Just continue to answer the questions from the people on here who are interested in a good cruise experience. Once the boors figure out most of us have so little reguard we have put them on ignore, they'll settle down.

Keep up the good work and enjoy your holiday. I'll look forward to reading posts when you return.:)

Loved your Top 10, CruiseEmployee:D . Just this weekend a friend of mine came off the Caribbean Princess. The usual December bevy of much, much older passengers were aboard with quite an attitude, evidently. On Thursday when they hit really bad weather, one of them demanded a partial refund for the lousy day!!:eek: !!! He felt that they had to have known the weather in advance and could have plotted their course around it.

I thought the CD was especially funny on my last cruise (HAL) when she explained the "rules" of the trivia game. She announced that no matter what, her word was the "final answer". She reminded us, "We're playing for a FRAME, folks! ... let's not forget that":) . She wasn't questioned once.

I saw a special on PBS about the cruse industry. It show a corporate manager working for a week on the ship is different jobs. It was a real eye opner for me. I saw that the cabin person worked 12 hours a day, did not have time to eat and only made .45cents a day. The rest was made up from tips? She had to hire a wait staff to help her so she could finish all her rooms. How can this be true? It spoils my vacation. I do not want to support the cruse lines that propote slave labor. Am I that naive.

I would like to know how clean do the cabins get cleaned? If the alcohol is so cheap for the employees, why is it so expensive for the guests?

Thanks to everyone for their information.

He lost all crediability in post #17 when he was evasive about the cost of a beer in the crew lounge, less than $2, please. But once again I am not the one that is dangling waiting for a word of wisdom from the voice.

Now if his code name was 'Deep Throat' and he was talking about Watergate !

I don't drink beer. If you asked me the price of a certain brand at a bar I go to frequently, I probably would only be able to give you a rough estimate as well.

Your evidence for his "lack of credibility" proves nothing to me.

For what it's worth, given that my g/f works for X, I fully believe in his credibility. I'm just hesitant to post anything after reading the thread ["do bosses look at this?" or some topic along those lines] in the Royal Caribbean forum about Celeb/RCCL not wanting their employees to post anything about the company given that she's still working on board. In fact, I've asked the mods to delete a couple of posts where I think the info I've written has been borderline. Laura S was kind enough to do it for me.

But hey, given that you don't believe what people write on the internet, maybe you won't believe me when I say I'm dating someone on board a Celeb ship right now either...

Hey cruiseemployee--

I'm 25 and going on my first cruise with my family (and family friends) in January. I realize that there will most likely not be any passengers my age, but as you mentioned the crew/staff can socialize with guests. I'm hoping that I meet up with some fun employees. I am a very out-going person and just hoping I won't be "bored".

Also, for a ten day cruise to Mexico, how much money should I plan on spending?

If you dont work for the cruiseline anymore, what are you worried about? Give us the info, you have nothing to lose (apparently, unless....???!!!) ...

I don't see Tbelian or wallie posting their real names, addresses and phone numbers either.

These are the kind of posters who give boards a bad name.

IMHO.

JG

Archived