Need Help! Which ship?

bellamom6

Hi all you HAL experts!

Ok, here is our issue. I am driving my poor DH crazy. We are looking at either sailing on the Veendam for the Mex Riv/ 7 day, or the Thanksgiving on the Oosterdam. We did our first sail on the Westerdam and are hooked! We looked at other lines for the same dates but we keep coming back to HAL. We are going with our DD who is 7. She loved Club HAL an the attention she got there. We also have several food issues which HAL to date is the only line that really did an amazing job in handling them hands down.

Our DD is very well behaved and knows how to act like a young lady. She loves getting dressed up, and having tea and dinner with adults. On that same note, if she is too tired, we love the option of the in room dining with the same menu. My DH and I love to work out daily and only have the Westerdam gym to compare anything to. We have done the Mex Riv several times, so really it is more about the ship and enjoyment of spending time together rather than the iten. on this sail.

So all you experts, help please! Also, on the Veendam, what are the OV cabins like vs. the BB cabins? On the Oosterdam we would do a Verandah, just not sure if worth the extra $$ for a BB on Veendam? Help!

:) Kim

The cabins on both ships will look very similar (the BB would be slightly longer than a Vx), but based on your descriptions of what you liked about the Westerdam I would suggest that you choose the Oosterdam. Club HAL there is much more likely to be similar to your DD's experience on the W'dam.

The cabins on both ships will look very similar (the BB would be slightly longer than a Vx), but based on your descriptions of what you liked about the Westerdam I would suggest that you choose the Oosterdam. Club HAL there is much more likely to be similar to your DD's experience on the W'dam.

Or try a different class of ship for a change and go with the smaller Veendam! ;)

Has anyone done a holiday sail on HAL? We have had really, really, really bad Thanksgivings the past few years with family "issues". Any cruise would be heavenly. However, if we could start a new traditional for our DD and have a "magical" thanksgiving experience for her ( getting dressed up, swimming in the pool, nice dinner ( we had frozen pizza last year) it would be great. I am up really for either ship. Help!!

Actually it is less expensive for the Thanksgiving sail. Shocking I know. I thought about the extra children also. Any other thoughts? The Veendam post dry dock looks so beautiful. Has anyone been on the Oosterdam recently?

Having sailed on both type ships, I suggest the Vista-class Oosterdam would be much better than the S-class Veendam .. besides the fact that they are almost identical ships (Oosterdam and Westerdam), the fact that most likely there were be many more young persons on that ship than on the s-class Veendam will lend more support as well.

harry

We've been on the Westerdam (several times) as well as the Oosterdam. I actually liked the Oosterdam better than the Oosterdam. I liked the decor better and when we sailed, the crew was just awesome!

I actually liked the Oosterdam better than the Oosterdam.

:confused: OK, I recognize it was a brain cramp (seen enough of my own to know 'em when I see 'em ;)), but I am interested in knowing which one you did like better. I've never sailed either of these two ships, but am booked on the Westerdam for next May. I hope that's the one you prefer!

So, which one did you like better?

I've never sailed either of these two ships, but am booked on the Westerdam for next May. I hope that's the one you prefer! So, which one did you like better?
We've been on the Noordam twice (which I know you've been on at least once :)) and on the Westerdam once. We like the Noordam better ... but don't ask me why! It just "feels" better to us. :D One specific thing we like better about the N is that it has a full Crow's Nest instead of one that is half used up by the Exp Cafe.

It's three times, for a total of 31 days, on the Noordam for me. I agree, even though I prefer a smaller ship, the Noordam is just lovely. And I like the location of the Explorations/Internet area over the placement in the Crow's Nest that the E-dam has.

I'm interested in adding to my "collection" of ships, though, and have started wondering about the Westerdam. Since I'll have older grandgirl, and she's sailed the Volendam with me, I'm trying to learn more about her (the ship, not the grandkid ;)). I want her to keep wanting to cruise with me.

I think if it were just myself and my DH, we would go for the Veendam. I do agree with the Oosterdam and being on a larger ship. I keep having TA's trying to talk us out of re-sailing on HAL, which I think is silly. We dont want to be on a 110,000 monster. We liked the service on our last sail on the Westerdam which she is beautiful. All the TA's I have encountered so far think family= Carnival or RCCL. We have done Carnival when DD was younger and it suited her, not us. Now we can all enjoy the beauty of HAL and have fun!!

Any one been on Oosterdam lately? We can drive to San Diego, although I think we will fly which is nice as well!

Ha! Ha!

Sorry about the post!

I actually liked the Oosterdam better than the Westerdam, but both ships are great! I liked the decor on the Oosterdam better. Crews come and go. We had an awesome crew during our Oosterdam cruise.

DH and I cruised on Oosterdam Dec. 2008. The Crow's nest was still the large open room and the internet was near the library. From what I understand, that has changed now. We were on Zuiderdam Nov. 2007 and it is very similar to Oosterdam. This Sept. 2009 I'll be on Westerdam and I am expecting a very nice experience also. I think cruising on Oosterdam would be a good choice for you.

DH and I prefer the smaller ships. We book an OV and are quite content. That said if we had a third person in the cabin I'd seriously look at the Vista class ship because of the affordable balcony. It's just that much more space for three people.

Enjoy your cruise whichever way you go.

RuthC -- I admit that I have not been on the Oosterdam but I have been on the Zuiderdam and the Westerdam and I much prefer the Westerdam. You will have a lovely cruise -- though I still prefer the R and S class ships and, of course, the Prinsendam to any of the Vistas.

That said, Bellamom6 -- it is my memory that the veranda cabins on the Vista class ships are very much the same size as the outside cabins on the Veendam -- but a BB on the Veendam is many square feel larger -- of course, the Oosterdam always has the SS cabins which are larger -- depends on what you want to spend.

However, in the day, when we traveled with our son, the size of a standard HAL outside on the R or S class ships (like the Veendam) provided plenty of space for the three of us. There is still a sofa in the room plus a seat at the desk -- plenty of space for three to relax in the cabin during those moments when you are all "in" together.

You will enjoy whatever you choose -- and at Thanksgiving I would presume that your daughter will have plenty of kids on board either ship with which to interact. We used to cruise regularly at Christmas and my son's favorite Christmas cruise was on the Statendam (though admittedly the Statendam was practically brand new then -- that was too long ago to make any real comparisons)

Thank you for the reassurance, Arzz. I, too, prefer the smaller ships to the Vista/Signature classes.

But, since I'll be sailing the Westerdam I might as well aim now to collect the entire fleet.

I think if it were just myself and my DH, we would go for the Veendam. I do agree with the Oosterdam and being on a larger ship. I keep having TA's trying to talk us out of re-sailing on HAL, which I think is silly. We dont want to be on a 110,000 monster. We liked the service on our last sail on the Westerdam which she is beautiful. All the TA's I have encountered so far think family= Carnival or RCCL. We have done Carnival when DD was younger and it suited her, not us. Now we can all enjoy the beauty of HAL and have fun!!

Any one been on Oosterdam lately? We can drive to San Diego, although I think we will fly which is nice as well!

I would question a TA that tried to "talk me out of" my choice!:mad: Why?:confused: Does your sugestion a smaller commission?

TA's are supposed to help wit questions YOU asked, not their unsolicited opions. :eek:

Bellamom6 -- I agree with Taxguy here -- If you had not enjoyed your first HAL cruise I could see the TA pushing a different line -- but knowing your preference for a particular cruise line why would a TA push a product like Royal Caribbean or Carnival which are so different than the cruise that you most enjoyed? I would suspect that there is some reward in it for the agent (higher commission or some such other incentive from her agency) -- this could be a sign that your TA is serving herself more than serving you -- I might consider another TA

Bellamom6 -- I agree with Taxguy here -- If you had not enjoyed your first HAL cruise I could see the TA pushing a different line -- but knowing your preference for a particular cruise line why would a TA push a product like Royal Caribbean or Carnival which are so different than the cruise that you most enjoyed? I would suspect that there is some reward in it for the agent (higher commission or some such other incentive from her agency) -- this could be a sign that your TA is serving herself more than serving you -- I might consider another TA

I totally agree. When I specifically told the TA why we really liked HAL ( room service, cabin, Club HAL) and what we did not enjoy on other lines we have been on...she still pushed either Carnival OR NCL. Now, that being said, my poor DH was on the Carnival ship that caught fire back in the late 80's, I think? Anycase, he was stranded at sea, no power, total nightmare. That being said, we still cruised Carnival for our past 8 cruises, just b/c the kids club.

Once we tried HAL, we were sold. Both myself and my DD have Celiac and far too many allergies to list. They bent over backwards to make everything right. Infact, my DD muster station wrist band had latex which her and I are allergic to. The tailor on the Westerdam, made her a muster station band out of green ribbon with her information on it! Now that is service! We have not decided yet either way. We are waiting to make sure my husband is now not on call that week. Thank you again everyone!

... I'm sure I'll have a good time on the Westerdam no matter what.

Ruth,

We've sailed twice on the Vista-class Noordam and twice on Westerdam, once, a b2b, pre-refit and once after. (We've also sailed on the older versions of both).

Like John (jtl513), we slightly prefer the Noordam, but can't really say why. Maybe it's the decor, or an indefinable "feel." But, the Westerdam is a very fine ship in her own right. I think it's like asking which is better -- dark chocolate covered almonds or dark chocolate covered cashews? The answer is I'll take them both, thanks! Westerdam does have the smaller Crow's Nest, and a few other minor differences, but it is very nice as well.

bellamom6, the main difference between a V class cabin on a Vista ship and a BB class on the Veendam is the BB class room is a bit longer; instead of the love-seat seating area, the BB class cabin has a full-length couch. Width and furnishings are similar. But, the OV cabins on Veendam are also about that size, and are indeed cheaper. We found we had plenty of room, although the balcony gives the impression that the room is larger and sunnier.

Dave

Archived