overbooked guests

lovemovies

hi: today I received an email with an offer to another sail date because the cruise is overbooked. why they do that? are the overbooked guests the ones that have a guaranteed cabins? I am a little worried. should I be? i am not guarantee. i have my cabin number.

They overbook for the same reason why planes are overbooked. They count on a certain number of cancellations at the time of final payment, and if not enough people cancel, they are overbooked on their guaranteed cabins. You have a cabin assignment, so don't worry.

If they give you enough and you can reschedule, then do it! Why not get something for "free"? If you can't change your dates, then let them know that you will not be accepting their offer, and enjoy your trip!

As far as I know, no one is ever involuntarily 'bumped' from a cruise due to overbooking (like the airlines). They simply continue to "up the ante" on compensation for moving to a different cruise until they free enough berths to make everyone happy.

For those very flexible with vacation time and no issues with re-scheduling airfare, these offers can be VERY generous.

The word E-Mail would be a RED FLAG for me. It seems that the cruiseline or your TA would have called you directly instead of sending you an E-Mail. Before you answer that E-Mail call the cruise line directly and verify that the E-Mail is legitimate.

thank you really for all your replies. since i am not accepting that offer they sent by email .. should i respond or ignore it??? i am really worried because all the issue because i had spent a lot of money in airfare, precruise hotel and time off work.

We had a very pleasant experiance on a cruise with RCI due to and overbooking problem. Had a 4 day booked on the Sovereign of the Seas in a JS out of Port Canaveral. On the Friday before we were to leave on Monday, they called and asked if we would consider changing to a 5 day also leaving the following Monday on the Enchantment of the Seas out of Port Everglades. They offered to refund half the cost of our cruise, give us a JS on the Enchantment and a $500 onboard credit. It took DW and I all of about 30 seconds to accept the offer........:D

I've been in the travel business for 30 plus years and overbookings DO happen. I have heard stories of people appearing at the dock only to be turned away. It happens very, very rarely, but it does happen. If you have cabin assignments, no problem, but for those on a guaranty, it could be a problem, albiet a very long shot.

We did a northbound Alaska cruise 8 years ago. We had a table mate from Washington state who was doing both north and south bound, back to back. Originally she was going on a round trip 7 day Vancouver cruise but as that cruise was overbooked-she was offered both cruises (14 days) for the same price (7 day) as her original cruise, and she was also upgraded from an ocean view to a suite. While we were in Juneau she saw the ship she was originally booked to cruise.

She was very happy with the offer given her-of course her situation was different, she still cruised the same time, just a week extra, and she had the extra vacation time.

We did a northbound Alaska cruise 8 years ago. We had a table mate from Washington state who was doing both north and south bound, back to back. Originally she was going on a round trip 7 day Vancouver cruise but as that cruise was overbooked-she was offered both cruises (14 days) for the same price (7 day) as her original cruise, and she was also upgraded from an ocean view to a suite. While we were in Juneau she saw the ship she was originally booked to cruise.

She was very happy with the offer given her-of course her situation was different, she still cruised the same time, just a week extra, and she had the extra vacation time.

I woudl take that deal in a heartbeat as well, as long as I could adjust my plane tickets!

I would think in that case they would CALL people close the port. This hasn't happen to us yet. Could be the time of year we cruise. We don't cruise in High season or sailing times.

But if we were offer a GOOD deal with some people have talked about.. I think my husband and I would take it. Its easy for us to reschedule since we work for our selves and sail mostly for Fl.

To OP I would call the cruise, as some people have said. I would think you would get a PERSONAL call then an email....

... i am really worried because all the issue because i had spent a lot of money in airfare, precruise hotel and time off work.

You can reply with a "No, thanks." if you want to. I probably would. BUT, don't even give it a second thought after that. I'm sure they contacted many, many passengers and asked them to switch. You weren't the only one to be notified as they are counting on at least some of the pax to make the move. Not everyone will, and not everyone who was asked will have to.

Enjoy your vacation to the fullest and please don't worry about this. :)

I was on a overbooked cruise. they called those who lived in florida, quite a few I talked to had been offered, if they moved from january to march on the same ship, they could get 30% off a future cruise, and maybe other stuff. You can also sometimes barter for more, who knows what those got who finally accepted. I only talked to those who turned down the offer.

it was a princess cruise btw. I heard of another recent princess cruise overbooked too.

I woudl take that deal in a heartbeat as well, as long as I could adjust my plane tickets!

She lived in Seattle,or actually a suburb near Seattle, so she could have driven or taken Amtrak.

But even if she flew, she would only have needed to change her return ticket-I think that is a $150 fee, right? It would be worth it to me to spend $150 to get an extra week in a suite.

She lived in Seattle,or actually a suburb near Seattle, so she could have driven or taken Amtrak.

But even if she flew, she would only have needed to change her return ticket-I think that is a $150 fee, right? It would be worth it to me to spend $150 to get an extra week in a suite.

But I said I would take that deal, and I don't live close to any ports. And the airline I most frequently use doesn't charge for changing your flight unless that flight costs more.

hi: today I received an email with an offer to another sail date because the cruise is overbooked. why they do that? are the overbooked guests the ones that have a guaranteed cabins? I am a little worried. should I be? i am not guarantee. i have my cabin number.

If I were to receive such an email, before I even thought about taking or not taking the offer, I'd call the cruise line, ask to speak to a representative, and make sure the offer is valid, and not some sort of internet scam. Then make any decision based on the information I got from a "live" person.

Archived