Where would you never book a private tour?

Rusty

A few CCs have recently posted strong suggestions not to book a non Princess excursion. They have listed the usual reasons. But a few have said in "certain cities/areas" they would only book a Princess tour.

Would anyone like to comment on what cities/areas/ports that they would avoid booking a non Princess excursion and the reasons/ problems, etc? (BTW-this question could refer to any cruise line excursion, not just Princess).

A few CCs have recently posted strong suggestions not to book a non Princess excursion. They have listed the usual reasons. But a few have said in "certain cities/areas" they would only book a Princess tour.

Would anyone like to comment on what cities/areas/ports that they would avoid booking a non Princess excursion and the reasons/ problems, etc? (BTW-this question could refer to any cruise line excursion, not just Princess).

Many people do not feel comfortable booking non Princess tours to Jamaica. Reason being the poverty level, number of minority,(predominately black), drugs, pushy vendors. Many do enjoy private tours to waterfall, churches, school, resorts, which being a native I highly recommend.

Iree Mon!

We used Princess in St. Petersburg, partially because the cruiseline scared us with Schengen visas and travel warnings.

We also used Princess in Victoria, BC, as two cruises before ours had failed to dock due to high winds, and we wanted the option for a refund if we could not go on the tour.

Mostly we have booked privately or just gone out on our own, but we do much research beforehand to reduce the possible incidence of trouble.

I can only think of a few instances. I honestly can't think of anywhere in Europe that I wouldn't either DIY or take a private tour.

Perhaps doing Marrakesh from Casablanca? Or some other highly exotic destinations where distance is a factor and/or there isn't a good infrastructure set up for private tours (e.g., China?)

Our reason for taking ship excursions in some places has more to do with weather. We mostly stick with ship excursions during huricane season. Our luck seems to include at least one tropical storm per cruise with missed ports. Last year we hit two huricanes on the same cruise. We missed a port due to a hurricane in December. Then there are some ports with high winds that frequently get skipped. Money is returned when the ship cancels, not always so with private companies.

Being that my only language is English, I prefer to DIY in the US (Hawaii and Alaska and territories included) and Canada. Everywhere else I prefer doing the ships tours. With the minor exception of beach days. Those we do on our own too. I don't ever want to feel at a disadvantage of not speaking a language or putting my family in any sort of hostile environment. I am just a very cautious person.

Having said that, I read CC faithfully before any upcoming cruises and rely on other posters recommendations. If I see a name often enough I feel much more secure.

Belize if you are leaving the city. Most tours are either on the water 45 minutes away, or a 45 minutes drive up into the rain forest/mountains (cave tubing, river cruise, ruins). For these reasons we always go with the ship.

Cozumel and Roatan, we always go Private, the islands are so small you can get back even if you have car problems.

Anywhere that the destination is a good distance from the port and a mishap or heavy traffic could delay getting back to the ship in time. One example was the excursion to the Yukon on our Alaska cruise last Sept. That is also one reason we've decided on a ship tour in St. Petersburg next month.

Jamaica, Columbia

The first time we were in Colombia we had a ship's tour and we were bombarded by vendors every time we stepped off the bus. They were all over us. Flash ahead lots of years. We'll be in Cartagena again in October and this time we have a private tour.

One good rule of thumb is : If I were to miss the ship, could we get to a decent sized airport and get flights to our next port or to the debarkation port easily, and/or would we feel safe without the Ship's personnel on the bus to contact.?

Getting stuck in Nicaragua, Jamaica, Guatamala, Egypt,Vietnam and smaller Pacific Islands would not be in my comfort level.

Other people are fine and think nothing of going everywhere on their own, we have never been late or had a problem but we think of it when we make our reservations for tours.

MaryAnn

Considerations for me: (some already mentioned)

- how far the place I want to see is from the ship. If going, seeing and returning will take until near when the ship leaves - I stick with ship tours. One flat tire or mechanical problem can cause serious problems when the drive is several hours. (Ex: Cairo, places in Morocco)

- ease and cost of getting to next port on my own

- places of political unrest

- places where it is not feasible to just grab a taxi back to the ship if a tour is a problem.

Since most of our cruising the past 10 years involves many ports that are NOT common tourist places we look at tours differently than for European ports.

Many people do not feel comfortable booking non Princess tours to Jamaica. Reason being the poverty level, number of minority,(predominately black), drugs, pushy vendors. Many do enjoy private tours to waterfall, churches, school, resorts, which being a native I highly recommend.

Iree Mon!

As we've become more experienced cruisers, we've learned to book independent tours (with recommendations usually from CC) almost exclusively now. Being a same-sex white couple traveling with a fair skinned black woman, we even hesitated going ashore in Jamaica. So, we booked a private guide (Marva Shaw) that we found through Cruise Critic. She was VERY protective of us, and it was (and remains) one of the best things we have done ashore. Marva is the best!

call me paranoid but I really am not sure I would book a private tour anywhere...not so much for safety concerns but more for concern of all the things that could delay you and get you left behind since they will only wait for you if its a ship tour

I also wouldn't book a non-Princess tour at any port that's a relatively new port of call. Grand Turk is one example--very nice people, tours are close to the ship, but no one there has that much experience doing tours yet, so the reviews are still mixed.

call me paranoid but I really am not sure I would book a private tour anywhere...not so much for safety concerns but more for concern of all the things that could delay you and get you left behind since they will only wait for you if its a ship tour

I would never call you paranoid, but I would say it's a matter of confidence.

Are you including Tobago too? We were there in April and did a private tour. Certainly better, more comprehensive and less $$ than Princess.

Not Tobago, no. Tobago's a very nice island and we also did a private tour there that was a fraction of what Princess was charging. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

I would only book a Princess tour for 2 reasons I can think of....

1) VERY short time in port.

2) The tour I want is only offered by Princess (not possible to book privately)

(e.g. the 10 day Panama Canal cruise has tours on Canal day but only those on Princess tours can get off the ship )

The Ports of Call boards here are full of wonderful recommendations of who and who not to book private tours with!

we would never take a private tour in dakar either--though we did--sort of--we met the sister of a coworker for a private tour and stayed in town the whole time. We knew other people who just got off and wandered around town.

we were also in The Gambia--only a princess tour would do there...and marrakesh--too far from the ship to take a chance--we were delayed two hours and the ship had to wait.

otherwise--I would consider private...

We use the same guidelines many others have mentioned - time frame ship is in port, distance of tour from ship, political unrest, recommendations on the Ports forum and the existing infrastructure in the area. I also take in consideration whether the port is a tender port or not. That will ususally reduce your usable time in port. If it is a short port daya ship tour will maximize your shore time.

I have been on some excellent ship tours, so I am not one of those who feels that an indepedent is the only way to go. That being said, our last cruise to the Southern Caribbean was 100% independent. Most of the time we have a mix of ship and independent tours.

Archived