Where would you never book a private tour?

Rusty

Let me put it this way; the only places I wouldn't consider a private tour would be:

1. Port where time was too short to do much.

2. An area with political unrest.

3. A port that is followed by several days at sea, so if for some reason I missed the ship, I would loose multiple days of my cruise.

I love private tours and have used them for years - the very best was in St Petersburg, Russia, and I will continue to use them. We are thinking of Egypt next year and I won't hesitate to do a private tour there.

There are times when I love ship tours though. Generally it's when I don't want to spend the considerable time involved in the research. I'm going to Alaska in Sept on X and with the exception of one port, I am using ship tours. Just seemed easier on this particular trip.

Mek,

While I would not hesitate to do a private tour in Egypt, and have done so for land trips, on the typical cruise you dock in either Port Said or Alexandria. It is a many hour drive (like maybe 4) to Cairo from there and to really see the Pyramids, the Sphinx, have a bite to eat and deal with the incredible traffic in Cairo, the whole trip takes like 11-12 hours. Both times I have been there the ship had to wait for at least one of their tour buses before sailing. Had it been a private tour - who knows. To go private and plan to get back in time to "play it safe" you would cut yourself short on sightseeing time IMHO.

Being a same-sex white couple traveling with a fair skinned black woman, we even hesitated going ashore in Jamaica.

As a gay guy myself, I've decided that not even a dollar of my port charges - much less spending on land - will go to support Jamaica's officially tolerated and deadly homophobia. I was there once, had a nice time (independent tour with a lovely gentleman named Mark Morris), but never again, not when there are so many alternatives, not till things change.

Many people do not feel comfortable booking non Princess tours to Jamaica. Reason being the poverty level, number of minority,(predominately black), drugs, pushy vendors. Many do enjoy private tours to waterfall, churches, school, resorts, which being a native I highly recommend.

Iree Mon!

What in the world does being a minority have to do with anything?

FYI, mom and I found a taxi driver on our own when we went there in

'92 and had a delightful time with our private driver, only to find out

after the fact that it was strongly recommended not to go with an

uncertified taxi. Although we had a great time, our driver took us all

over, but apparently to places he should not have, and it could have

gotten us into trouble. He also took us to this interesting place where

there was a hotel and they also made rum. Well Groovy, that was

his name, was drinking his fair share of the rum :eek:and my mom was

concerned he wasn't going to get us back safely.

He did, but I would not go on an unsponsored trip in Jamaica ever again

I have never been to some of the ports in west Africa, but I did use a ship's tour on our trip to Tangiers, and was glad I did (this was pre-CC days, and I really had no easy way of gathering information on tour guides). We've taken independent tours in Belize (one our our ten best excursions ever), Columbia (met a wonderful guide and his family) and Jamaica without incident and I think we benefited by "going it alone".

We used the ship's tour in Fiji because we wanted to take a motorized canoe up a river for a couple of hours, visit a village and then return. I'm glad we did...too many opportunities for issues to arise, with first a bus trip, then the canoe, then the visit, and then the return canoe trip. Sure enough, we were 2 hours late returning due to torrential rainstorms and held up the ship. We also sometimes book dives through the ship, just because we want the ship-side pick up since were hauling all our gear.

Other than that, we don't ever take the ship's tours. I think our basis for "what could go wrong" is the time we rented 2 mopeds in Bermuda, the gas gauge on one of them was broken, mine ran out of gas, the ship was due to leave for 5 days crossing the Atlantic in 45 minutes, we were due back on the ship in 15 minutes and we were still miles away from the ship. It was a bad situation, and I was stressing, but my husband did his best McGyver imitation, found a beer can lying on the side of the rode, cut of the top off with the little cutter on his keychain (this was pre-9/11), we drained enough gas from his moped to put into mine and get me back to the ship only a couple of minutes late and, although they were paging us, they hadn't left yet. It makes for a great story with our dinner companions while cruising, even 9 years later, and we wouldn't have that (as it turns out) funny memory if we hadn't taken the chance.

Mek,

While I would not hesitate to do a private tour in Egypt, and have done so for land trips, on the typical cruise you dock in either Port Said or Alexandria. It is a many hour drive (like maybe 4) to Cairo from there and to really see the Pyramids, the Sphinx, have a bite to eat and deal with the incredible traffic in Cairo, the whole trip takes like 11-12 hours. Both times I have been there the ship had to wait for at least one of their tour buses before sailing. Had it been a private tour - who knows. To go private and plan to get back in time to "play it safe" you would cut yourself short on sightseeing time IMHO.

Thanks for the advice, at the least I am planning on something with 2 days in port and will spend the night in Cairo, or I might even decide to skip the big ship cruise thing and do a Nile Cruise, or even a land based vacation with private tours. I really want to go to Egypt next year before I get too old,(I'm 59) - LOL!

Mek,

Thanks for the advice, at the least I am planning on something with 2 days in port and will spend the night in Cairo, or I might even decide to skip the big ship cruise thing and do a Nile Cruise, or even a land based vacation with private tours. I really want to go to Egypt next year before I get too old,(I'm 59) - LOL!

You are not too old. I am going to Egypt this year with my 71 year old mother (who has had heart by-pass, a new hip, and a plate in her arm). We will do a land/river tour for this trip, as she wants to spend more time in Egypt than the big cruise ships typically allow for.:)

Are you including Tobago too? We were there in April and did a private tour. Certainly better, more comprehensive and less $$ than Princess.

Gosh, are you ABSOLUTELY SURE Princess even offers a tour to Tobago???:confused:

We've been to Trinidad a couple of time on Princess and could NOT find a tour thru Princess to Tabago. Still can't find one listed when checking Princess Shore Excursions for Trinidad that goes to Tabago. :confused:

A few CCs have recently posted strong suggestions not to book a non Princess excursion. They have listed the usual reasons. But a few have said in "certain cities/areas" they would only book a Princess tour.

Would anyone like to comment on what cities/areas/ports that they would avoid booking a non Princess excursion and the reasons/ problems, etc? (BTW-this question could refer to any cruise line excursion, not just Princess).

Afghanistan... I wouldn't even get off the ship in an unsafe place that I considered truly dangerous. Otherwise, no problem with any private tour that's vetted.

Mek,

Do Egypt, you will love it. I went for a two-week tour after doing the cruise overnight. It is like nowhere else I have been. Of course, I've always had a fascination for ancient Egypt, but still....it was wonderful. It is intensive though. Lots of early morning wake-ups and go-go-go all day long, meals at odd hours, etc.

On the same note, if you do the cruise route, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a private tour in Egypt. There are several well-vetted agencies if you look on the Port of Call boards. Although we did the ship's overnight (I was traveling with my mom who would NOT go private....), the private tour did almost exactly the same itinerary as we did for much less, and all who went were VERY happy with their choice.

Jamaica now. It's a shame, too. We went there on a tour in the 80's and had a great time. No worries (no problems, mon) except for agressive vendors. but I've heard LOTS of stories in recent years. A wonderful place if it can get safer again.

As we've become more experienced cruisers, we've learned to book independent tours (with recommendations usually from CC) almost exclusively now. Being a same-sex white couple traveling with a fair skinned black woman, we even hesitated going ashore in Jamaica. So, we booked a private guide (Marva Shaw) that we found through Cruise Critic. She was VERY protective of us, and it was (and remains) one of the best things we have done ashore. Marva is the best!

I can understand your hesitation. There are some great recommendations from CC and tripadvisor. Being in a mixed race marriage I tend to research a bit more. Traveling with kids I leave very little to chance.

What in the world does being a minority have to do with anything?

FYI, mom and I found a taxi driver on our own when we went there in

'92 and had a delightful time with our private driver, only to find out

after the fact that it was strongly recommended not to go with an

uncertified taxi. Although we had a great time, our driver took us all

over, but apparently to places he should not have, and it could have

gotten us into trouble. He also took us to this interesting place where

there was a hotel and they also made rum. Well Groovy, that was

his name, was drinking his fair share of the rum :eek:and my mom was

concerned he wasn't going to get us back safely.

He did, but I would not go on an unsponsored trip in Jamaica ever again

Even in cruise world some people pack EVERYTHING except a decent tip and a nice outfit for dinner. Would you like to hear some of the horrible statements tourists have made to DH, not knowing I am his better half and Jamaican? The place would be so much better if it was not for all the colored. It's hard to enjoy the place with all the locals around. Regardless of the port, I think you can benefit from using a reliable tour guide. Vacations aren't meant to test your level of fear, so above all do what's comfortable. Every port won't be of interest to everyone, private tour or otherwise. I research and use the drivers mentioned when traveling as a toursit.

Would you like to hear some of the horrible statements tourists have made to DH, not knowing I am his better half and Jamaican? The place would be so much better if it was not for all the colored. It's hard to enjoy the place with all the locals around. Regardless of the port, I think you can benefit from using a reliable tour guide.

Oh my....that one belongs in the "Clueless Hall of Shame". Just who do they think should live there if not the locals.....maybe off-duty actors? Disney World staffers?

*shaking head in wonder*

Thanks so much to everyone for the tips about Egypt. I have a feeling this will be one of those trips where I will spend endless hours with research and planning. If it was just myself, I would do a Nile cruise or a land based vacation, but my husband is not as flexible as I am and I need to take his likes and considerable amount of dislikes into consideration. I finally got him to China a few years ago by planning our itinerary so he could eat in a western style restaurant every night. One of the primary reasons we cruise is because he can get what he wants to eat on a ship.

Gosh, are you ABSOLUTELY SURE Princess even offers a tour to Tobago???:confused:

We've been to Trinidad a couple of time on Princess and could NOT find a tour thru Princess to Tabago. Still can't find one listed when checking Princess Shore Excursions for Trinidad that goes to Tabago. :confused:

Not sure but I think the 14 day on the Grand might have switched from Trinidad to Tobago this year. We went to Trinidad last year and had a private tour which was fine, but while researching I came to the conclusion that Tobago seemed to be a much prettier island.

We have always done ship's tours until this last cruise to the Panama Canal.

One of our stops was in Belize which turned out to be one of our favorite ports. We did a private cavetubing with "Major Tom" and it was great.

Very safe and they have never left anyone behind.

Take a look at the sight for "Belize" cave tubing and you will see alot of reviews. Carnival does not offer that tour anymore so we went private.

Much smaller groups. It was great.:)

Not sure but I think the 14 day on the Grand might have switched from Trinidad to Tobago this year. We went to Trinidad last year and had a private tour which was fine, but while researching I came to the conclusion that Tobago seemed to be a much prettier island.

Hope so! That would be GREAT! :)

My favorite clueless saying while travelling in China with my mother. A middle aged women commented, "There are so many Chinese people here!"

(Yea, lady, like a billion of them...)

:D Too funny!

Like the time we were on a Rain Forest Tour and two of the women demanded their mony back because .... it rained and they got wet! :rolleyes:

My favorite clueless saying while travelling in China with my mother. A middle aged women commented, "There are so many Chinese people here!"

(Yea, lady, like a billion of them...)

If you want to read some funny (and sad) things people have said traveling in Rome and Italy, here's a link to a great thread on tripadvisor:

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k2336402-Absurd_things_I_overheard_on_my_vacation_in_Rome-Rome_Lazio.html

It gets a little long, but among the many gems on this thread:

"What a great idea to build the Colosseum in front of the Underground station!"

Tips on communicating with the locals: "Just add -ini onto every English word and the Italians will understand you."

While looking at the Forum: "Was this a WWII bombing?" and "With all the money they make from tourism, why don't they fix those roads?"

:rolleyes:

Oh my....that one belongs in the "Clueless Hall of Shame". Just who do they think should live there if not the locals.....maybe off-duty actors? Disney World staffers?

*shaking head in wonder*

Some of the same lovely passengers who booked at 'Cheap Cruise Dem Come', who honestly do not know to pack a nice outfit or budget for tip, actually think Jamaica is a private island. They have NO idea about the locals and who they are. This has gotten 10 times worse over the past decade. I have actually witnessed the downward spiral.

'Cheap Cruise Dem Come' and 'Cheap Caribbean Me Go' are making a mess outa travel. It was so much better when everyone could not afford it or in my case do as often.......Yes me include. Two formal nights coming up but I have gotten only one new dress...shameful:D;)

I think you need to be cautious no matter what kind of tour you are on. Ship vs. private is a matter of choice. We have done land tours through Egypt, and China, and many cruises. We always go with ship tours, even though we know we are spending more. For us it is the ease of setting things up, and knowing the ship always waits for us, no matter what.

Archived