Which Zoo in Sydney

Nancy53

If you only had two days in Sydney which zoo would you visit. Time is precious to us only have two days before you leave for our cruise to New Zealand so out of Sydney Wildlife World, Taronga Zoo or the Feathedale Wildlife Park which would you go to. Have decided not to go to the Blue Mountains so going for all the sights in Sydney.

Have seen 1/2 day tours about 3 1/2 hrs departing from Sydney called Cuddle a Koala Bear for the Feathedale Wildlife Park so how long does that leave for you to see the actual park if it is about a 40 minute ride to the zoo.

Then Taronga Zoo is easier to get to by ferry so should we go to that one. We want to see the Koala's up close and get some pictures. Since that one is closer should we go to that one. Don't want to spend all day in the zoo so we can see other things too.

Or, do we just hit the Sydney Wildlife World and see that.

Any suggestions? We are coming in November.:confused:

taronga zoo is very beautiful you can see koalas there and get your photo taken with them the other parks have mainly native animals. featherdale is a long drive and you would spend a lot of time in traffic . with taronga you can travel across the harbour on the ferry which is a nice way to see our beautiful harbour i take my family there at least once a year always has new things to see.:)

Taronga zoo is a proper zoo and I would suggest better than San Diego zoo, so if you want the full experience, I'd suggest that. However, if you just want to see key Australian fauna, then Sydney wildlife world and Featherdale park are good for that, and somewhat similar to each other. Featherdale was the first and Wildlife world opened up closer to the city to be more convenient for tourists.

Taronga zoo is one of my favorites. They have all the australian animals and others, but the zoo is clean and has a fantastic view of the city. I could go on, really, and talk about the gondola up to the top. The fact that it was a highlight of my 1970 trip to Sydney . . .

Nancy, we liked the wildlife parks, like Featherdale, because of the opportunity to interact with the animals, like the koalas and the kangaroos. But, yes, you do have the time/distance factor to consider, so Feathdale may not be the best choice if you will feel rushed and also feel you are missing out on other things in Sydney during your travel time. So, look at the websites for the Taronga Zoo and Wildlife World and see which seems to be the best fit for providing you with the best experience.

Hi

My first choice would be Taronga Zoo, the ferry ride is great and the zoo has spectacular harbour views. Then if you only had a couple of hours i would go to Wildlife World, you can still see koalas up close. Wouldn't bother going to Featherdale if you are pressed for time and besides you can see everything at the other places

Tania

Can anyone help with information about wheelchair access at the zoos ? Taronga sounds like an uphill push from the harbour if we arrive by ferry, and DH will never get on the gondolas (fear of heights, not disability). Would it be better to go by bus and walk down the hill and ferry back ? I can push long distances but hills defeat me ! Thanks for any advice.

There are buses that meet every ferry that arrives at Taronga. Their first stop is the upper entrance to the zoo, so you always have the choice of taking either a gondola or a bus to the top when you arrive by ferry. Sometimes the lines for the gondolas are very long and it's just quicker, if less scenic, to take a bus. Some buses, if not all, have wheelchair access.

Taronga zoo is a proper zoo and I would suggest better than San Diego zoo, so if you want the full experience, I'd suggest that...

Those are fighting words! :) Each is great in its own way with no need to compare.

http://www.taronga.org.au/

Taronga is a wonderful zoo in a spectacular location on the harbour. Just getting their by the little ferry is half the fun.

I agree with this. We took the ferry from Circular Quay and it was great way to get to the zoo.

Those are fighting words! :) Each is great in its own way with no need to compare.

I did say "suggest." Comparing helps as it gives an idea against a more familiar frame of reference to someone who apparently has no idea of the details of the choices.

Nowhere was it said that you or the OP has to or will agree with the conclusion given it was presented as an opinion. However, it gives an idea of the magnitude and coverage.

I did say "suggest." Comparing helps as it gives an idea against a more familiar frame of reference to someone who apparently has no idea of the details of the choices.

Nowhere was it said that you or the OP has to or will agree with the conclusion given it was presented as an opinion. However, it gives an idea of the magnitude and coverage.

Sorry, I was just kidding around based upon a reference to our local zoo. As you suggest, everyone can reach their own opinions and conclusions based on their own preferences.

Having been to Featherdale and not to Taronga....I would still opt for Taronga from what I've read about it and its close proximity as compared to Featherdale....Featherdale was alright, but I would have loved to have gone to Taronga, but time did not allow us to work it into our schedule before we flew home

• 1 month later...
If you only had two days in Sydney which zoo would you visit. Time is precious to us only have two days before you leave for our cruise to New Zealand so out of Sydney Wildlife World, Taronga Zoo or the Feathedale Wildlife Park which would you go to. Have decided not to go to the Blue Mountains so going for all the sights in Sydney.

Have seen 1/2 day tours about 3 1/2 hrs departing from Sydney called Cuddle a Koala Bear for the Feathedale Wildlife Park so how long does that leave for you to see the actual park if it is about a 40 minute ride to the zoo.

Then Taronga Zoo is easier to get to by ferry so should we go to that one. We want to see the Koala's up close and get some pictures. Since that one is closer should we go to that one. Don't want to spend all day in the zoo so we can see other things too.

Or, do we just hit the Sydney Wildlife World and see that.

Any suggestions? We are coming in November.:confused:

Forget Featherdale, way too far. With Taronga, you get a mini harbour cruise and it is in a wonderful location.

Wildlife world is compact and you can see it all easily. It is the best choice for those on a tight timetable.

My suggestion if you have a lot of energy for the day. Walk to and around opera house, then to Circular Quay- take ferry to Taronga. Chairlift to the top of the zoo and walk to the bottom. Ferry back to the Quay and if you have any energy, walk around the Rocks and base of Bridge.

This is a full day and you'll see a lot- all the highlights.

taronga zoo is the one to go to as it is right in the city and the ferry ride is worth it

take the bus to the main entrance, the zoo is steep so work your way side to side carefully and go down gradually so by the time you hit the bottom and the exit you will have seen most of the exhibits

jackiedanny:)

I vote Taronga too for all the reasons already given. By all means cuddle a koala if you feel the need (why do ALL visitors want to do this?) but be warned that while they look cute and placid they can also be very cranky with vicious claws. You'll have a memorable visit, especially if you go on the ferry.

I disagree that Featherdale is too far. We were there 3 days ago on Wednesday, and LOVED it! We also were staying in Sydney for two nights.

In my opinion the trick is to get a hotel close to the Central Rail Station. We stayed at the Metro Hotel Sydney, which is right near/in Chinatown, and about a 12 minute walk to Central.

Walk inside, go up to the ticket window, buy a return ticket to Blacktown, get on the correct track (easy; they have a marquee with the trains/platforms), and the train ride is about 45 minutes.

Walk down to the bus stand for the #725 bus which takes you to the entrance of Featherdale.

When you leave Featherdale, go up the street to your right about 1 block. There is a bus stop there, too, and you will get on before all the people waiting for the bus outside Featherdale.

We loved our visit. It's so interactive that I almost stepped back and stepped on a wallaby! The kangaroos, wallabys, and many of the birds are all over the place. We saw birds and animals that we will never see again anywhere else: a pure white peacock walking around strutting his stuff next to you; a blue peacock doing the same; koalas to pet; a pink cockateel (caged so it won't fly away).

Great place.

We got to the train station a 10 AM and were back at our hotel by 4 PM.

In my opinion the trick is to get a hotel close to the Central Rail Station.
You wouldn't have to stay near Central, if you're prepared to do this trip. If your hotel is near Circular Quay station, for example, it should only add about 15-20 minutes to your journey to get a train to Central and change there.

• 2 weeks later...

pcur and Globaliser: thanks for the great information!

We are going to be staying in Sydney for 6 days before our cruise, so we will have a enough time to visit Featherdale.

It sounds like it may worth seeing the Taronga zoo, as well, if only because of the ferry ride. We plan on buying the Sydney transportation passes, which I understand include the ferries.

there is a great view of sydney from the giraffe enclousure at taronga too,

you can have the opera house and bridge in the distance complete with giraffe heads and necks in the foreground i,m sure every visitor to taronga has this shot i certainly do!!!

enjoy

jackiedanny:D

Archived