Shouldn't Oceania replace their Cruise Credit Program

2onboardagain

I was curious as to how many of us have come out on the short end of Oceania's interpretation and application of its Cruise Credit System and thought it would be interesting to see how many different examples we as a group have noticed or experienced.

The number one head scratcher for me is the Around the World Cruise. How can it be possible that they would post (apparently without embarrassment) on their Oceania Club Elite Benefits page the following:

Around the World 2015 - 15 Credits

World Odyssey 2015 - 12 Credits

Around the World 2016 - 13 Credits

One that I have experienced is The Miami to Miami Amazon Cruise on Regatta. Last year it was a 24 day cruise (thus under the Oceania system worth 1 cruise credit) This year that cruise has added a day in St Georges Granada making it a 25 day cruise and eligible for 2 cruise credits. The day that was added is not even in the Amazon so how can you say that this year's cruise is TWICE the worth of last year's.

I am sure that you have all experienced something that rubbed you the wrong way. Let's make a list.

Edited by 2onboardagain

Personally I think we are attracting enough Negative Nellys without encouraging them.

Sure there are quibbles that we all can find about O but we can still list the positives, great suites,wonderful butlers, fantastic food and super itineraries.

Edited by orchestrapal

Personally I think we are attracting enough Negative Nellys without encouraging them.

Sure there are quibbles that we all can find about O but we can still list the positives, great suites,wonderful butlers, fantastic food and super itineraries.

Oh don't get me wrong I am an Oceania cheerleader for all the reasons that you list BUT when they turn a deaf ear to valid complaints because they view them as isolated I think it may be time for them to hear from the silent majority.

The positives are many, I quite agree. Numerous enough for us to sign on for 180 days in 2017. But it can't be a bad thing to illuminate inequities. If we don't note and talk about them, how can we ever expect improvements to occur?

Oceania is a pretty darn good cruise line with the potential to be a great one. Fairness and common sense should dictate cruise credits, rather than the current willy-nilly allocation, so I'm siding with Nelly.

I wouldn't say that we are Oceania cheerleaders but it is our line of choice for the usual reasons. I have to agree that the rewards system is very inequitable. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to the points system. People who book the higher level suites are given the same points as the person in the inside cabin. There should be some difference. I would not give up on Oceania because of this but there should be some recognition. If you pay 10,000 for a cruise and someone else pays 4,000 there should be a difference in awarding of points. This is just my opinion.

Edited by cstrick
something to add

I wouldn't say that we are Oceania cheerleaders but it is our line of choice for the usual reasons. I have to agree that the rewards system is very inequitable. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to the points system. People who book the higher level suites are given the same points as the person in the inside cabin. There should be some difference. I would not give up on Oceania because of this but there should be some recognition. If you pay 10,000 for a cruise and someone else pays 4,000 there should be a difference in awarding of points. This is just my opinion.

I know that the expected response from Oceania to the issues that you raise are addressed when those of us lucky enough to reach those upper plateaus and garner a FREE Cruise but they ignore the obvious fact that their reward system is flawed in the basic fact that it rewards those who take the shortest length cruises and tortures those of us who prefer the longer itineraries. It really is an in-your-face position that says that anyone who takes a cruise longer than 7 days is a "sucker" when it comes to earning cruise credits. You can walk away with one cruise credit after sailing a mere 7 days or you can be a much more loyal passenger and take a 24 day cruise but still only receive 1 cruise credit. "Pay more and get less" is hardly a winning model.

I have to say that I agree. I am smarting that we are taking a 19 day cruise in an OS and getting only 1 cruise credit and if I want to take the same cruise as a B2B I have to pay more, even though the 2 cruises are listed in the UK as 2 separate cruises (but apparently not in the US). I guess this subject has been done to death, but it has clearly ruffled some feathers. As a marketing professional, I am truly perplexed at the mixed messages given out by O in terms of their promotions and pricing.

I have to say that I agree. I am smarting that we are taking a 19 day cruise in an OS and getting only 1 cruise credit and if I want to take the same cruise as a B2B I have to pay more, even though the 2 cruises are listed in the UK as 2 separate cruises (but apparently not in the US). I guess this subject has been done to death, but it has clearly ruffled some feathers. As a marketing professional, I am truly perplexed at the mixed messages given out by O in terms of their promotions and pricing.

+1 for me.

Yes that was the ultimate rub for me too. I thought that I had finally found B2B cruises that were interesting enough to take and as a bonus would earn me 2 cruise credits but lo and behold Oceania (despite marketing those two as B2B here in the US) had waved its magic wand, sprinkled some pixie dust and all of a sudden those two cruises were now a "Grand Voyage" entitling me to just 1 cruise credit. They are still marketing them as separate voyages but if you take them both then they magically meld into just one?

Yes that was the ultimate rub for me too. I thought that I had finally found B2B cruises that were interesting enough to take and as a bonus would earn me 2 cruise credits but lo and behold Oceania (despite marketing those two as B2B here in the US) had waved its magic wand, sprinkled some pixie dust and all of a sudden those two cruises were now a "Grand Voyage" entitling me to just 1 cruise credit. They are still marketing them as separate voyages but if you take them both then they magically meld into just one?

To add insult to injury if you're on one of the O ships and are in a category less than a PH you will only get 1 reservation per specialty restaurant, no matter how long your Grand Voyage is. As a back 2 back you'd get one for each leg.

At least the top 3 suites get a bump there. For over 18 days they get 3 each, from 8-17 days they get two. In all fairness there are many perks the upper suites get that others don't, although yes, you pay for them. I'm not convinced they should be worth additional credits on the loyalty system.

All in all Oceania has a very generous loyalty program. I do agree with the basic premise the OP is stating. It's pretty simple, if a GV is made of 2 segments it should be worth 2 credits no matter the number of days sailed. Keep the chart for cruises that aren't Grand Voyages.

There is a difference. If you only book inside cabins, if you reach your free cruise, it will be in an inside cabin and if you only book owners' suites, your free cruise will be in an owner's suite.

There is a difference. If you only book inside cabins, if you reach your free cruise, it will be in an inside cabin and if you only book owners' suites, your free cruise will be in an owner's suite.

The free cruise is, of course, what we all dream about but the reality is that not all of us will sail 20, 40 or 60 times with Oceania. My sights are a little more immediate (having only sailed 4 times for a total of 73 days) and I would really, really like to reach the Silver plateau with its modest guaranteed shipboard credit so each and every cruise credit is precious to me. Having Oceania pull the rug out from under me after I planned in accordance with one of the brochures that they bombard my mailbox with is unsettling to say the least.

Folks have been talking on Cruise Critic about one part or another of the loyalty program for years. Our first O cruise, in 2006, was the Amazon cruise. It was 26 days, and in those days, worth just 1 credit. When O announced the change that would have given us 2, we were not the only ones in the same situation. We tried to get the extra credit retroactively, bu no luck.

Folks have been trying to get the system changed from number of cruises to number of days for at least 5 years or more, no luck -- even though both Regent and NCL use number of days (and NCL gives extra credit for suites).

The illogic of the Grand Voyage vs. back-2-back has been discussed here before. No luck.

That leads me to two conclusions: Oceania is too mathematically challenged to figure out how to make it more equitable; and Cruise Critic is apparently not the right place to raise the subject. No harm in trying, though, it does raise awareness.

I will add, however, that back in 2006 I was in awe of anyone who got to 5 cruises. Less than 9 years later I am silv er with 10, to my surprise, and will be Platinum plus with 25 after our 180 day world cruise, and looking forward to our free cruise.

Edited by hondorner

That said, nothing else to say-but your 100% right. We always book an Owners Suite-

Rick

That said, nothing else to say-but your 100% right. We always book an Owners Suite-

Rick

What you're not considering, Rick, is that your free cruise will be in an Owners Suite whereas others will get the class of accommodation which they most often book.

How many other Loyalty Programs can make a similar claim?

What you're not considering, Rick, is that your free cruise will be in an Owners Suite whereas others will get the class of accommodation which they most often book.

Didn't know that, my old TA never told me that when I asked about points.

Thanks, you are a welcome worth of information, as always.

Rick

Seabourn

It would be nice if they gave an extra credit for longer cruises

7 -14 days 1 credit

15 to 34 days 2 credits

but their cruise line their rules

True. But are the rules fair?

Normally cruise lines reward dollars, amount spent on suite, rather than number of days. Oceania does not.

Has that stopped us rebooking a penthouse? No. More fool us or more clever Oceania?

That would not make me happy. I did book a B2B Caribbean set of cruises because they were both 10 days....together...= 1 point....as a B2B..= 2 points....which would have taken me up to the next level. They were advertised as being one-20 day cruise or 2-10 day cruises. The cruises are now moot because I had to cancel them...but if they'd put them together, only earning 1 point..they would have heard from me.