Terrace Cafe on Sirena

Linda L

I will be sailing on the Sirena to Tahiti in February 2017. Does anyone know if they serve dinner in the Terrace Cafe? The website says they do but the Cruise Vacation Guide that we just received says they only serve Breakfast and Lunch.

If they do serve dinner there would we be able to wear shorts?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Linda

Has many of the main dinging room and specialty items tables are set with white table cloths and with an aire of more formality than other meals It is a much more up-scale buffet and with an outdoor terrace ...

Shorts, and the like would be fine for Waves but would be not appropriate at dinner on in any venue or bar after 6... See the dress code.

Has many of the main dinging room and specialty items tables are set with white table cloths and with an aire of more formality than other meals It is a much more up-scale buffet and with an outdoor terrace ...

Shorts, and the like would be fine for Waves but would be not appropriate at dinner on in any venue or bar after 6... See the dress code.

Below is a quote from dress code section on CC (for some reason I cannot find the dress code on Oceania's site, though I am sure it must be there. Dan - could you please post the link to the official Oceania dress code site).

Oceania Cruises

The Code: Oceania keeps its policy simple and casual. Country club and resort-style attire are generally appropriate for both men and women. In all evening dining venues, passengers are requested to adhere to the country club casual dress code. (Think elegant casual, although some passengers choose to get dressier.) Shorts, casual jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear and sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Jacques, Red Ginger, Polo Grill, Toscana or Tuscan Steak.

Note that it does not mention Terrace as not allowing shorts at dinner.

I think that the Terrace is a place to have a dinner in a more casual atmosphere and a more relaxed dress code when one does not want to dress up.

This would be particularly true for a tropical locale such as Tahiti.

That said, one should wear "dressy" short rather than short shorts.

found on https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/ oddly under 'before you go' (I assume so one knows what to pack), it reads

"Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner"

With more detail, this backs up what Paulchiki wrote.

https://oceaniacruisesblog.com/2016/03/01/oceania-cruises-insider-elegant-casual/

regarding dining in shorts:

"And if you prefer to stay in shorts, simply dine at the Terrace Cafe. You can wear dressy shorts and casual shirts even in the evenings"

The beauty of the Terrace Cafe for dinner is that :

1. Smart casual dress, shorts fine .

2. Tables set with cloths a nice touch .

3. Menu items are basically same as MDR but you can have a bit of each, how much or how little as you want .

found on https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/ oddly under 'before you go' (I assume so one knows what to pack), it reads

"Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner"

With more detail, this backs up what Paulchiki wrote.

https://oceaniacruisesblog.com/2016/03/01/oceania-cruises-insider-elegant-casual/

regarding dining in shorts:

"And if you prefer to stay in shorts, simply dine at the Terrace Cafe. You can wear dressy shorts and casual shirts even in the evenings"

Thank you.

That was my impression.

While I agree with you 110%, the dress code allows people to wear anything in the Terrace Café. I've seen torn denim shorts, worn out t-shirts, etc. IMO, it definitely takes a "almost" luxury cruise line down a level. It is also strange to see people wearing denim overalls (I have seen this on the Riviera) and shorts mixed in with men in sports jackets, women in dresses, etc. at 9:30 p.m. IMO, most of the shorts I've seen in the Terrace Café are not "dress shorts" any more than the jeans in other dining venues are "dress jeans".

Obviously this is my opinion - others may certainly disagree.

This strange dress code would not keep me from sailing on Oceania but definitely keeps us out of the Terrace Café for dinner.

Edited by Travelcat2

Just off Sirena and yes, dinner is excellent in Terrace. They also had some theme nights there: 1) Asian Food Night, 2) Indian Food Night (India is part of Asia, BTW), 3) Fish BBQ (most excellent).

Great food. Also try the Tapas!! Served on the Entrance side to the Buffet.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7397

Read my review on another page.

While I agree with you 110%, the dress code allows people to wear anything in the Terrace Café. I've seen torn denim shorts, worn out t-shirts, etc. IMO, it definitely takes a "almost" luxury cruise line down a level. It is also strange to see people wearing denim overalls (I have seen this on the Riviera) and shorts mixed in with men in sports jackets, women in dresses, etc. at 9:30 p.m. IMO, most of the shorts I've seen in the Terrace Café are not "dress shorts" any more than the jeans in other dining venues are "dress jeans".

Obviously this is my opinion - others may certainly disagree.

This strange dress code would not keep me from sailing on Oceania but definitely keeps us out of the Terrace Café for dinner.

The dress code is crystal clear for dinner and any venue including bars and public spaces for dinner and after.... And as expressed there are some who just interpret the dress code as they see fit and according to their whims....no one is going to tell me what to do on vacation !

The real question remains, however, its not so much what you CAN do but what you SHOULD do !

It is a difficult problem for many of the I and Me absorbed culture.

Just a note: when on Regent they had a very clear message " a gentleman outside of his cabin after 6pm SHALL have a jacket" The ship refelected that and was a class act.

Just a note: when on Regent they had a very clear message " a gentleman outside of his cabin after 6pm SHALL have a jacket" The ship refelected that and was a class act.

That is why you'll find me on Oceania and not on Regent :D

It is nice to have choices and I know that many gentlemen prefer wearing jackets and ties every night on most "luxury" lines - I am not one of those gentlemen. I am not sloppy - I do not even own jeans of any kind or overalls - but I prefer country club casual to jackets and ties on my cruise.

To each their own.

Just a note - a jacket does not make one a gentleman - it takes more than a jacket to be one :D

Edited by Paulchili

That is why you'll find me on Oceania and not on Regent :D

It is nice to have choices and I know that many gentlemen prefer wearing jackets and ties every night on most "luxury" lines - I am not one of those gentlemen. I am not sloppy - I do not even own jeans of any kind or overalls - but I prefer country club casual to jackets and ties on my cruise.

To each their own.

Just a note - a jacket does not make one a gentleman - it takes more than a jacket to be one :D

+1

Glad to sail on O even if it is not a luxury line

For me cruising on Oceania is Luxury to me & that is all that matters :D

Happy Holidays

Lyn

Just to be clear - there is absolutely no requirement for a jacket on Regent. It is elegant casual every night, which means slacks and collared shirt. Even on formal optional nights there is no requirement for a jacket.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The dress code is crystal clear for dinner and any venue including bars and public spaces for dinner and after.... And as expressed there are some who just interpret the dress code as they see fit and according to their whims....no one is going to tell me what to do on vacation !

The real question remains, however, its not so much what you CAN do but what you SHOULD do !

It is a difficult problem for many of the I and Me absorbed culture.

Interesting point. But the "I and Me absorbed culture" to which you refer could be interpreted to suggest that you have some special status over others where you determine what is right for them (e.g. "what you SHOULD do").

The dress code omits the Terrace out from their statement and I'm sure it isn't an oversight.

So what you SHOULD do, perhaps, is not pay so much attention to what others are doing or wearing, particularly when they are breaking no established rules or directions.

I'd prefer to dine around others wearing shorts and who are kind and pleasant rather than near someone in a tuxedo who is sneering and judgmental.

But that's just my preference.