Weather In the British Isles August

noddy54

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess on the 31st July around the British Isles, plus 3 days in London & 7 days driving around Devon & Cornwell etc.

Could anybody who has first hand knowledge tell me what the average temperatures & weather would be like around that time so we know what to pack.

Thank You

The weather in UK can vary significantly, especially between say London and the Shetlands.

In London you can expect about mid 20's, but it can reach 30C. In Scotland we used to get low 20's C, at times rising to about 25C. You can expect sun, rain, wind, especially when near the coast.

Best to check one of the online weather forecast for historical averages for each port if you want something more detailed.

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess on the 31st July around the British Isles, plus 3 days in London & 7 days driving around Devon & Cornwell etc.

Could anybody who has first hand knowledge tell me what the average temperatures & weather would be like around that time so we know what to pack.

Thank You

You have gotten lots of useful advice - look it up on Google

DON

Honestly it could be almost anything (apart from snow - that is unlikely!) and there can be more than ten degrees difference between parts of Scotland and Cornwall.

Layers is the way to go; t-shirts, sweaters/fleece, showerproof jacket and a backpack to put them in as you take them off. Shorts and long trousers give you options according to the weather. And if you plan on wearing sundresses, especially in the evening, make sure you have a cardigan/ wrap handy too.

If you are spending time at the beach in the south then you are likely to have warm enough weather for a swimsuit.

Hope that helps. Happy to answer any other questions. Have lived in Scotland for over thirty years but grew up in England and spent many holidays in Devon and Cornwall - beautiful part of the country.

Hi All

Million dollar question, what is todays weather going to be,

basically look out of your window, what you see when get up will not be the same in a few hours,

for packing, pack layers, assume rain at any time,

today we have temps of over 20 c in 48 hours temps 10 degrees less are forecast,

yours Shogun

We're back from the May 8 BI cruise. Although you will be going later in the season, I think the same rules apply -- prepare for all kinds of weather. Plan on wearing layers, as mentioned above, and adjust from day to day. Purchase a lightweight, foldable, waterproof windbreaker-type jacket with a hood (we got ours from LLBean.) Bring a travel umbrella, and a backpack or travel bag to take with you during the day to hold any layers you aren't wearing at the moment. Don't forget sunscreen, the wind can be a problem for your skin even on a cloudy day (lots of red faces on our ship.) And, make sure you take 2 pairs of walking shoes for daytime in case one gets soaked. Have fun, it was a great trip!

Thank You

So nice to see some cruisers coming to our part of the UK. It would be nice if Princess had a port stop near our counties to give more cruisers the opportunity to see another beautiful part of the UK.

I agree with the previous posters. Mix and match and pack layers. Have a wonderful time in Devon and Cornwall.

UK weather in August can be blistering hot. It can also be cold, windy and rainy. Often you can have all 4 types of weather on the same day.

Don't assume that the further North you go the colder it will be. Our UK weather is not that simple.

Dressing in layers is probably the best advice. Pants, t-shirt (or polo shirt) and a light jacket is my usual solution.

If you're going to be outdoors for a long time, a waterproof poncho (like the cheap theme park ones) is worth having in your pocket.

b62e3de1f365c3f799a597147823d68d.jpg

Edited by lake5298

Since you have received more detailed weather predictions above, I wanted to give you the conditions for our British Isles cruise last August. We took lots of layers and most of what I wore were light blouses, cotton pants, sweaters and COMFORTABLE walking shoes. The sweaters were on and off all day during the shifting sun. We had a few drizzles during the 12 days in Scotland, Ireland and UK. We carried small umbrellas and only used them a few times.

Our biggest surprise was the night of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. I prepared with jeans and heavy coat and it was a pleasant evening and only put the coat on during the last half of the performance. Who knew!:eek:

Go and enjoy this fabulous cruise. It was one of our best EVER!:D

It would be nice if Princess had a port stop near our counties to give more cruisers the opportunity to see another beautiful part of the UK.

I was on the Crown Princess in 2010 and we stopped in Falmouth and it was a lovely town! Had the best afternoon tea EVER in a small tea shop. I've never had clotted cream as good as that was - and I've had afternoon tea all over the world. I'd love to return to SW England to spend more time.

P.S. I named one of my daughters Devon and I grew up on Devon Rd. ;) :D

Edited by Go-Bucks!

I did a BI cruise last July. On any given day, I wore a t-shirt, a sweater, a puffy coat, a raincoat. I had a few days in Scotland that I was really cold (hence the puffy coat) and a couple of days in Ireland that I actually got tannish.

Who knows... Plan to layer.

I did a BI cruise last July. On any given day, I wore a t-shirt, a sweater, a puffy coat, a raincoat. I had a few days in Scotland that I was really cold (hence the puffy coat) and a couple of days in Ireland that I actually got tannish.

Who knows... Plan to layer.

Layering always seems to be the standard answer but whenever I've been in the BI's during summer and autumn I didn't need a winter coat or other winter clothing. A fleece was the heaviest I've used.

Will be going there again in August, but will not be packing a winter coat - way too heavy; would take up an entire suitcase. :D I will also be visiting Iceland for the 4th time and have never needed winter clothing there during summer or autumn either.

Layering always seems to be the standard answer but whenever I've been in the BI's during summer and autumn I didn't need a winter coat or other winter clothing. A fleece was the heaviest I've used.

Will be going there again in August, but will not be packing a winter coat - way too heavy; would take up an entire suitcase. :D I will also be visiting Iceland for the 4th time and have never needed winter clothing there during summer or autumn either.

My puffy coat is not really a winter coat. I think it is commonly called a down sweater. It packs into a little ball in its own pocket. It is really tiny, but also very warm. It is really great on a plane- where I always freeze. Then as the plane is landing, I stuff it into its own pocket and throw it into my carry-on.

Hi

Thank you to the people that gave me information regarding the weather in the British Isles in August.

The weather seems to be very similar to ours at the moment, so I will pack according to what we wear now. That can be anything from T shirts and 3/4 pants to track suits & jackets.

August is probably the hottest month in the UK. It will likely be cold in the wind in the Shetlands but you could be lucky! It will probably rain some of the time at least three days in fourteen, not necessarily heavy I would guess. Odd light showers and Thundery rain if it is very hot, that wont last long. Umbrellas are a good idea as is layers and outer waterproof clothes.

If it is very hot for the whole period, with absolutely no rain, what we call a "Heatwave" it will be reported in the newspapers on the front page with headlines like "Phew What a Scorcher" as it is so rare.

Regards John