Best Beach Spot at Labadee?

cjdixon4

Will be on Freedom in May, and it's my first time at Labadee. Where's the best spot to camp out? I am not renting any cabanas or fancy beach beds...just a couple of loungers for hubby and me. I want to be very close to the toilet facilities and the food without having to walk a long distance. Suggestions?

Will be on Freedom in May, and it's my first time at Labadee. Where's the best spot to camp out? I am not renting any cabanas or fancy beach beds...just a couple of loungers for hubby and me. I want to be very close to the toilet facilities and the food without having to walk a long distance. Suggestions?

Columbus cove I enjoyed... Jump on the trolley and there in minutes... Was really nice and close to where you can walk to eat and get drinks :)

Columbus Cove

No need for water shoes, soft white sand in the water, pavilion for BBQ, steel band for rhythms, palm trees for shade, restroom facilities and near the aqua park.

All the way in the back on the right side.

Can go to by ferry boat at pier, by tram at first roundabout or just take a walk.

Columbus Cove

No need for water shoes, soft white sand in the water, pavilion for BBQ, steel band for lunchrhythms, palm trees for shade, restroom facilities and near the aqua park.

Can go to by ferry boat at pier, by tram at first roundabout or just take a walk.

Where is the ferry boat located at the pier? We have only been to Labadee once and I do not recall seeing it. Of course, being our first time at Labadee, there was a lot to see, so it was probably right there in front of me and I just missed it. Thanks. :)

It was Columbus Cove for me but not anymore.

Lately I'm reading many posts of people having a hard time in that area with locals. It's a "private island" but I was told that since Columbus Cove is far from the pier no one from Royal is paying that much attention to the area. I was also told that they have a fence and a door and security is more relaxed, I saw the huge fence and even military personnel but I didn't saw the " door" that they were talking about.

Next time I won't go that far and instead stay by the area in which you see the zip line.

Columbus Cove

No need for water shoes, soft white sand in the water, pavilion for BBQ, steel band for rhythms, palm trees for shade, restroom facilities and near the aqua park.

It can easily be a 13-20 min walk to get to the beach.

I don't think the ferry is for the cruise passengers.

Where is the ferry boat located at the pier? We have only been to Labadee once and I do not recall seeing it. Of course, being our first time at Labadee, there was a lot to see, so it was probably right there in front of me and I just missed it. Thanks. :)

The ferry docked just down the pier from where the cruise ship docked. It's a one-way ferry, from the pier to the Columbus Cove area. You have to walk or take the tram back because you have to go through security, and the ferry would bypass security.

I agree with everyone else - Columbus Cove.

My fiance and I LOVED Coco Cay because we were able to sit at the back of Barefoot Beach by ourselves almost all day with virtually no one around. We were hoping for the same at Labadee, but did not find it. However, the closest we found was the end of the day right around Columbus Cove.

We started off snorkeling on Adrenaline Beach and spent the last ~2 hours on Columbus Cove. Ended up regretting (in the way you regret on a vacation - still happy!) that we didn't spend the day there! (We had started off by taking the Columbus boat over...definitely said that next time we will do that and just stay over there!)

Edited by livinginyellow

Will I be able to get a good spot on Columbus Cove if I disembark early from the ship? And what exactly is early at Labadee? I have to get a good Windjammer breakfast in beforehand!

When we got off the boat, we were probably an hour after others had started getting off. We took the Columbus Ferry over right away, and it was still pretty quiet over there. So, not TOO early, but don't get off around lunchtime expecting to find a good seat :)

Will I be able to get a good spot on Columbus Cove if I disembark early from the ship? And what exactly is early at Labadee? I have to get a good Windjammer breakfast in beforehand!

I'd say early is within an hour of arrival.

It was Columbus Cove for me but not anymore.

Lately I'm reading many posts of people having a hard time in that area with locals. It's a "private island" but I was told that since Columbus Cove is far from the pier no one from Royal is paying that much attention to the area. I was also told that they have a fence and a door and security is more relaxed, I saw the huge fence and even military personnel but I didn't saw the " door" that they were talking about.

Next time I won't go that far and instead stay by the area in which you see the zip line.

I have NO idea what you're talking about. I was there in December and again in March, and the only "locals" at Columbus Cove were the vendors who are up in the shack area (not in the beach area at all) and the musicians on the sidewalk (and they are just on the beach playing music, not harassing anyone).

All of the reports I've seen of "problems with the locals" are from people who interacted with the vendors. You can easily tram or walk to/from Columbus Cove without ever having to interact with a salesperson.

If they talk to you from up on the sidewalk above the road as you walk by, just ignore them. They're not going to scream at you or chase you onto the beach or anything of the sort.

Seriously, don't believe everything you read on the internet. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

I have NO idea what you're talking about. I was there in December and again in March, and the only "locals" at Columbus Cove were the vendors who are up in the shack area (not in the beach area at all) and the musicians on the sidewalk (and they are just on the beach playing music, not harassing anyone).

All of the reports I've seen of "problems with the locals" are from people who interacted with the vendors. You can easily tram or walk to/from Columbus Cove without ever having to interact with a salesperson.

If they talk to you from up on the sidewalk above the road as you walk by, just ignore them. They're not going to scream at you or chase you onto the beach or anything of the sort.

Seriously, don't believe everything you read on the internet. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Meh. I actually don't know about what you said. I was there in February, and we had a large issue with the guy running the Dragon's Coaster. They essentially blackmailed us into giving them $20. This guy wasn't a vendor - he was hired from the island to work for RCI. It was frustrating, a little scary, and makes us NOT want to return to Labadee.

HOWEVER, I will agree with you that if you are on the beach, minding your own business, you will be fine. There are security guards all around all of the beaches, food areas, etc. I think it's just realizing you're in a public place (regardless of country) and when you're in a public place, sometimes people do dumb, selfish things.

The ferry docked just down the pier from where the cruise ship docked. It's a one-way ferry, from the pier to the Columbus Cove area. You have to walk or take the tram back because you have to go through security, and the ferry would bypass security.

Thanks, Bob. I was already past security before I started looking last time we were there. I will know better now when we get back to Labadee in November.

Does the cove have many activities? I have 13 year old twins and we are going there in a few weeks. We're not necessarily looking for a quiet tranquil spot, but would welcome it if there were activities for the kids. Any banana boat rides?

Does the cove have many activities? I have 13 year old twins and we are going there in a few weeks. We're not necessarily looking for a quiet tranquil spot, but would welcome it if there were activities for the kids. Any banana boat rides?

When you get the cruise compass news letter the night before it will post times of certain events for children and families on the island. Games and such.

We used to do the volleyball games by adrenaline beach.

Why dont you camp out at Nellies beach where the structures in the water are located ($$), many families enjoy the beach and your children can have play friends.

Enjoy

• 1 month later...
Probably 10-15 minutes at most. Would recommend to take the ferry over, first thing in the morning, if you can.

Do you pick up the ferry right as you get off the ship? Thanks :)

Edited by EJPhilly

As you exit the ship on the pier will be the ferry on the right side that you can board for your ride.

Now, on the way back you are not permitted to do the ferry, because it docks after the security check point.

So you can walk, or take the tram back.

Enjoy

As you exit the ship on the pier will be the ferry on the right side that you can board for your ride.

Now, on the way back you are not permitted to do the ferry, because it docks after the security check point.

So you can walk, or take the tram back.

Enjoy

Thanks so much :)

I hope someone can explain this to me because I've never been to Labadee.

If it's a private island why are there so many beaches? Nellie, Adrenaline, Columbus.

Can you please explain

I hope someone can explain this to me because I've never been to Labadee.

If it's a private island why are there so many beaches? Nellie, Adrenaline, Columbus.

Can you please explain

Because it's in the Caribbean?

Not sure what your question is... many places that are oceanfront have sandy and rocky areas. Being private or not has nothing to do with it -- it's simple geography.

Have you seen a map of the area? If not, click here. That might answer your question.

Because it's in the Caribbean?

Not sure what your question is... many places that are oceanfront have sandy and rocky areas. Being private or not has nothing to do with it -- it's simple geography.

Simple Geography?

Been on many private islands and there weren't different names for the beaches, that was my question.

Wasn't asking about sandy and rocky areas, just saying

BTW, Thanks for the map :)

Edited by Mjasp