which would you choose to Canada/Nova Scotia

lauren0309

I have a cruise booked on Royal Caribbean Anthem to Canada, 5 nights, 2 ports. I booked with a friend. Now my friend decided 5 nights is not enough so I saw NCL Gem for 7 days, 4 stops but $400 more. Can't decide if I want a newer bigger ship for only 5 nights or 7 nights on the Gem. I like new and bigger so I can't decide.

Edited by lauren0309

I have a cruise booked on Royal Caribbean Anthem to Canada, 5 nights, 2 ports. I booked with a friend. Now my friend decided 5 nights is not enough so I saw NCL Gem for 7 days, 4 stops but $400 more. Can't decide if I want a newer bigger ship nights or 7 nights on the Gem. I like new and bigger so I can't decide.

Depends on the ports.

Montreal and Quebec City are amazing.

Halifax, Charlottetown, St. John's (NF) are good

Saint John (NB) and Sydney are beter viewed from the ship if you have to view them at all.

Depends on the ports.

Montreal and Quebec City are amazing.

Halifax, Charlottetown, St. John's (NF) are good

Saint John (NB) and Sydney are beter viewed from the ship if you have to view them at all.

Ports for Gem are:

Halifax, St. John, Maine, Newport Rhode Island

Ports for Anthem are:

Halifax and Maine

Ports for Gem are:

Halifax, St. John, Maine, Newport Rhode Island

Ports for Anthem are:

Halifax and Maine

St. John is not worth the add. If you do it, and want to get off the ship, get out of town. St. Andrews By-the-Sea, somewhere else on the Bay of Fundy, etc.

Newport's lovely.

I have a cruise booked on Royal Caribbean Anthem to Canada, 5 nights, 2 ports. I booked with a friend. Now my friend decided 5 nights is not enough so I saw NCL Gem for 7 days, 4 stops but $400 more. Can't decide if I want a newer bigger ship for only 5 nights or 7 nights on the Gem. I like new and bigger so I can't decide.

I've gone on the Gem and loved the trip (and, yes, a frequent Gem cruiser). However, if you like new and bigger, you may wind up disappointed (since you pointed that out, it has to be important to you).

You can check out the many photos/videos of the Gem that are on YouTube to see if there would be enough that would keep you happy.

I think that 5 nights and 2 ports may be too short for Anthem? Seems to be a lot to take in on that ship :D

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a blast! Happy cruising! :)

A 5 night cruise anywhere is to short

Rccl does 5 nighters so they can churn the pax more often which equates to more $$$$

Pax tend to spend freely the 1st days of a cruise and spend less toward the end

On 5 nights the don't feel the impact as it goes sooooo quick they keep spending

The gem is gorgeous and I would do 7 nights

But if bells and whistles are the priority go rccl

It sounds to me that the ship type is your 1st concern

And cruise length is your friends 1st concern

I'm with your friend on this

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

Just did NE/Canada on the Gem a month ago. It was only a 6 nighter and felt we could use another night. To each his own re ports. First time in Saint John we found boring. Second time we took a 3 hour bus excursion and really liked the city. On the other hand, we didn't care for Newport.

Edited by jasperdog

We've sailed on the Gem three times, and on Anthem once (her inaugural TA last fall). They are in different universes in terms of ships. Anthem is huge, new, and stunningly beautiful, with incredible public spaces, but missing a real connection to the water (no promenade deck, no place you can even stand outside in the bow). We had a great time on Anthem, but I think a five-night cruise is too short, especially if ports are involved. Plus, too many reservations need to be made (for entertainment and dining); not the way we prefer to cruise.

The Gem is a very comfortably sized ship with a promenade deck, a bow-facing sun deck, and the fabulous Great Outdoors in the aft. Yes, she's much older, and the cabin decor ranges from not classy to garish, but she's more ship than floating resort. Anthem is the latter.

OP, if you like newer and bigger, you might be disappointed in the Gem.

In my signature, you'll find a link to my detailed photo review of Anthem.

Enjoy whatever you decide!

Besides the extra 2 days, the reason that the Gem is 400 more is because of the included promotion that the Anthem would not have. If you're big drinkers, then your decision is made because of the additional cost of alcohol and even non alcoholic drinks on the Anthem, unless you just want the soda package.

Another possibility would be the Carnival Sunshine, which offers 7 days stopping in Boston instead of Newport on the Gem. It's 101 tons versus 93 for the Gem and 167 for the Anthem. It's a tough call weighing the pros and cons. Best of luck with your decision.

Edited by SNJCruisers

Ask yourself this:

Are you trying to see the ports in the North East and Canada or is this a trip to experience the ship? If this is a cruise about the ports, then Gem is the right cruise. If this is a cruise about experiencing the ship and you don't care about the ports, then stick with Anthem.

Anthem also does a 9 day which goes to Boston, Portland and Bar Harbor Maine, Halifax and St. John.

That is the one we booked for next year. Breakaway 7 nights Bermuda this Oct. and Anthem 9 days next Sept. Canada/NE.