Table for two sir?

Not everyone travels as a couple so I think that will rather confound your idea that if P&O had sufficient tables for two, group tables would disappear.

Imho, I think people seem to forget that ships are in fact not hotels. Most hotels will have more room to accommodate a higher number of tables for two and in hotels, guests have the option of dining out. I am spectacularly poor at maths and physics but my brain still tells me that that if you are 'feeding' 1000 people in a sitting, if you put them all on tables that only take 2 people you are going to need more room and probably more staff.

I fully respect people who prefer a table for two but there are still a lot of us around who like the cruising tradition of getting to know a small group of fellow pax around a large table.

I so agree with this.

As someone posted after this, the select dining have lots of tables for 2, as you are paying to eat there.

The MDR is not a restaurant, as you would find ashore. I eat out rarely, but would guess most places have about 50 covers, so lets say 25 tables, and that is probably a large one. The MDR would have 500 covers min each sitting.

Scale of economics state that if you sat each of them at a table for 2, so 250 tables min. you would need a much larger MDR, and lots more staff. Also ofcourse if you have somewhere ashore probably much much easier to accommodate peoples wishes.

If the people who have joined this thread stating they cannot see any reason why P and O cannot have more tables for 2 , and less tables of 4-6-8, maybe they should research different ships and see if they can find one with tables for 2 ,as they desire. I wouldn't bother looking at any mainstream line, including Grills on Cunard, as they all have large tables. In fact not sure what level you would have to look at to get what you want.

ANY cruise company is there to make a profit. If you get a good holiday out of it as well, well that is a plus.

Economics state you do not make a profit if your staff overheads are huge.

When you make a booking with P and O (if you book select) it asks what table size you would prefer (NOT guaranteed), so it cannot be a total surprise when you get on board to find there are large tables.

Eating in the select places are equivalent to dining ashore. The MDR isn't.

Other cruise lines operate like modern hotels and understand what their customers want and aim to provide it.

Do you read the other cruise line threads? :confused::rolleyes:

Other cruise lines operate like modern hotels and understand what their customers want and aim to provide it.

P&O is not quite like an old seaside hotel. It has some traditions of an old cruise line. And many customers like that. There are different types of customer - and ships have different clientele. We're not all the same. (Though Carnival would seem to want to think that way).

There are plenty out there who actively prefer Fred Olson or P&O or Disney or Silverseas or Hurtigruten or whoever over the competition. They have their reasons for that preference.

And some people like the old traditional hotels too.

There's plenty of scope within the Carnival and P&O brands to provide differentiation for all of us *if* they choose to do so.

We will continue to request a table for 6 in the MDR on first sitting because it suits us best as a couple who enjoy each other's company, but who also enjoy having dining companions at dinner. That for us is an important enjoyable part of our cruise.

Horses for courses again.

I suppose looking at it simply, those who request a larger table are pretty likely to be those who are sociable and good table companions, those that dont like conversation and mixing with others may choose tables for 2 instead. Thats not saying that those on tables for 2 are poor mixers though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suppose looking at it simply, those who request a larger table are pretty likely to be those who are sociable and good table companions, those that dont like conversation and mixing with others may choose tables for 2 instead. Thats not saying that those on tables for 2 are poor mixers though.

I've requested a table for 8 on the 2nd sitting for our upcoming cruise, it's nice to meet new people (mostly). At least we won't be blocking any of those rare tables for 2 :)

Agreed - as I say, horses for courses.

May we all continue to cruise in harmony whatever our table wishes may be.

I've requested a table for 8 on the 2nd sitting for our upcoming cruise, it's nice to meet new people (mostly). At least we won't be blocking any of those rare tables for 2 :)

Ditto ...and "like" :)

(When is your next trip? we could be table companions!)

P&O would disagree with you, as they have a Hotel General Manager on board.

As someone who likes cruises to be cruises rather than just another 'holiday', purely imho, the cruise lines are sadly diluting that experience. I would prefer rooms to still be cabins, entertainment managers to be cruise directors, floors to be decks and the reception to be the purser's desk.

I do however accept that I am probably very much in the minority :). I also appreciate the much improved standard of the cabins on today's ships!

P&O is not quite like an old seaside hotel. It has some traditions of an old cruise line. And many customers like that. There are different types of customer - and ships have different clientele. We're not all the same. (Though Carnival would seem to want to think that way).

There are plenty out there who actively prefer Fred Olson or P&O or Disney or Silverseas or Hurtigruten or whoever over the competition. They have their reasons for that preference.

There's plenty of scope within the Carnival and P&O brands to provide differentiation for all of us *if* they choose to do so.

And imho Dryce, this is what is causing a lot of problems with P&O these days. As a company they have a long and traditional history and style, which they are changing and modernising at a rate of knots (pun intended!). I do very much understand the need to evolve so that they can survive in the future. The problem is that they risk losing those of us that prefer the 'old fashioned seaside hotel' style. I personally would much prefer the fleet to be divided into a sort of 'Classic' and 'Contemporary' split which is likely to give more satisfaction for those choosing each brand. I have been a loyal customer of P&O for nearly 18 years but so much of what I like is being eroded. And - before anyone suggests it - there really is no equivalent cruise line out there that cruises out of the UK.

That might make some sense if that was the group of people that P&O was targeting itself at.

Have you seen P&O's recent advertising campaign?

Of course Carnival already have a 'traditional' cruise line and that is Cunard!. As I mentioned elsewhere the cruise line are really after the new cruisers. They spend more onboard and the more cruises people take the less their average onboard spend is. The older, fixed income group are only there to fill the cabins and a few cheap Peninsular perks keeps them happy. The worst of course are those who boast that they have spent nothing aboard.

That might make some sense if that was the group of people that P&O was targeting itself at.

Have you seen P&O's recent advertising campaign?

If you believe the adverts that P and O are showing, do you get on board and wonder where all the beautiful, slim, happy models are? Or Rob Brydon come to that matter!!!

Where they are appealing to new cruisers maybe they need to spell it out clearer that this is a cruise , not a land based holiday, and things are different.

To me one of the most wonderful things in the world is going to bed in one place, and when I wake up the following morning, pull back the curtains and there is a new totally wonderful place, waiting for me to explore..nothing can take that away from me.

We are hoping for a table for 2 on our next cruise, if not we will go with the flow.

We have managed to get some stonking OBS on our last few cruises, so although we "spend" we are not really spending if you get my drift.

Reading some of the assorted posts on here I think when new cruisers book it is not explained to them what to expect.

No port of call is guaranteed.

Itineraries can change from the one you booked.

They are not hotels when all is said and done-regardless of the names they call the jobs.

All cruise lines seem to be going down the path of the MDR (which is included in the fare) is being "diluted" to encourage people to using the select dining options , which are chargeable.

I have the feeling that new cruisers come on board with unlikely expectations.

Is that the advertising or the fact that people don't research things first.

There have been posts in the past on here on what is a sensible price per person per night for a cruise. The benchmark seemed to be £100.

Can you stay in a decent hotel, and have transport there and back, stopping off in between, and all your meals (on a table for 2!) for that?

There have been posts in the past on here on what is a sensible price per person per night for a cruise. The benchmark seemed to be £100.

Can you stay in a decent hotel, and have transport there and back, stopping off in between, and all your meals (on a table for 2!) for that?

Yes, very easily.

So why do P&O find it so hard to deliver.

Yes, very easily.

So why do P&O find it so hard to deliver.

Please show me ,without you driving..as you do not steer the ship that using public transport you can travel a long distance and stay in a "decent" hotel.

To me Premier Inn is decent. So that is public transport, decent hotel and all your meals, for under £100 PPPN..

If you find P and O so unaccommodating to what you want, which cruiseline are you going to try next?

Hey come on - I would never ever describe an Inside cabin as a 'coffin'. I have had two Insides on Oriana and on Azura and both have been very spacious and not at all claustrophobic and very nice indeed.

I admit I do prefer a window as I need natural light, but I was very impressed by the Insides and would always prefer an Inside cabin to no cruise at all.

Edited by Scriv

I have booked an inside cabin on my next cruise (Select so I could pick the location) because I didn't think the minuscule balconies on Oceana warranted the significant additional cost, especially since I don't intend to spend much time inside it. I must admit that I nearly opted for a Junior Suite though :). Didn't manage to get it for less than £100 pppn though, probably because of deck choice and location !

I've never managed to get a cruise for £100 pppn or under.

Are these the inside coffins that don't exist outside the cruise industry?

We are on Celebrity Eclipse at the end of June in a Balcony for £85 pppn. We paid £71pppn on our first Celebrity cruise 2 years ago and in Sep 14 we paid £102pppn pn Eclipse for a balcony including the Premium Drinks package, free tips and $400 per cabin OBC. Now that was a deal.