anytime dining? on Celebrity

koss78b2

• 2 months later...

I've pre-booked certain times for select dining online (once on Celebrity and once on RCCL). It was terrible. We still had to wait 15-30 minutes for a table.

Monica

You probably chose prime times. We have used MTD at least 6 times or more. We have never waited more then a few minutes. We will be using on our Equinox cruise in Oct. I think we chose 6 p.m. for every night.

I've pre-booked certain times for select dining online (once on Celebrity and once on RCCL). It was terrible. We still had to wait 15-30 minutes for a table.

Monica

That is the nature of any Open Dining scheme. The ability to honor reservations depends on many factors including prior diners, staffing, etc. If one wants a set dinner time the fixed dining times meet that requirement. Personally we think that the Open Dining (Select on Celebrity) would do better to simply not accept any reservations from other then large groups. Otherwise, just show-up and join the queue. Reservations really do drive the staff crazy because folks want specific size tables, specific waiters, etc.

HAL was one of the last mass market lines to start offering an Open Dining Scheme. They are still wrestling with the reservations issue with mixed results. On one cruise the Maitre d simply decided they would not accept any reservations for the 6:30 - 7:45 time period (peak times) and this seemed to work. But there were certainly some folks upset that they could not make a reservation for those peak times (although they could always just show-up and hope to quickly get a table).

Hank

Monica

Thanks for sharing your experiences. We are looking forward to select dining and the time we have chosen for each evening.

I have tried and tried to make reservations and cannot find my way. Can someone give me a clue, please?

Log in to Celebrity's website. Find your Cruise. Click on Explore Cruise Planner. Scroll down to Explore the Possibilities. Click on dining. Scroll down to Celebrity Select Dining. Click on add to cart. Highlight the guests, click next and follow the prompts from there. At least that's how I did it and had no issues or problems. Once you are done you will receive an confirmation email from Celebrity showing dates and times you've selected.

Log in to Celebrity's website. Find your Cruise. Click on Explore Cruise Planner. Scroll down to Explore the Possibilities. Click on dining. Scroll down to Celebrity Select Dining. Click on add to cart. Highlight the guests, click next and follow the prompts from there. At least that's how I did it and had no issues or problems. Once you are done you will receive an confirmation email from Celebrity showing dates and times you've selected.

This is correct, but keep in mind that you can only do one night at a time. You have to "check out" after completing your reservation and then start again with the next night. I did this the other day and it took me about 20 minutes to make reservations for a 10 night cruise. It is not as complicated as it sounds.

We love Select Dining, super easy. We rarely if ever make reservations and hardly ever have to wait to get a table.

We do flex dining on every ship we are on. We love going to dinner when we feel like it, not when someone tells us we have to

This is correct, but keep in mind that you can only do one night at a time. You have to "check out" after completing your reservation and then start again with the next night. I did this the other day and it took me about 20 minutes to make reservations for a 10 night cruise. It is not as complicated as it sounds.

You are correct. That was also my experience but it didn't take me as long as I was only doing 7 nights worth. Thought at first I was doing it wrong but it worked just fine.

Edited by davekathy

Our experience with Select Dining has been to not make reservations pre-cruise, but to wait until after the first night of dining to see if we like the serving team and dining location. Someone from dining has contacted us the next morning to see if we would like the same serving team and time block for the rest of the cruise. The team and table chosen on the first night by the Matrie d has always been very good and we then accepted reservations. We have had no problems with doing Select dining this way. Every night we usually ended up with the same table or the one next to it, with the same serving team, as long as we arrived between about 6:00 to 6:20 PM. If we knew we were not going to make that time block or would be dining elsewhere we just contacted dining sometime prior to the evening.

Edited by 14ersco