Regent or Viking Ocean?

DebsUK

Greetings fellow cruisers! Now would be the time where I'd be telling you about my fun and memorable adventures in picturesque Gdansk. But fate did not have that in store for us when the Captain wished us all a good morning on the PA at the crack of dawn, and proceeded to discuss how the rough seas made it impossible to get into the city's harbor, and that we were currently sailing south to Warnemunde, where we will dock tomorrow.

Well, the seas didn't seem particularly rough at all, but of course he was doing his job, keeping us safe, not endangering the ship, etc, etc. etc. And on a cruise with only one sea day, it's kind of fun to have another on such a beautiful ship.

To his credit, at least our captain sounded sad. Last year, the captain of the Explorer didn't sound particularly perturbed at all when he announced we were going to stay another night in Malta instead of visiting Gozo Island, again due to rough seas that didn't seem particularly rough. His credibility was further strained when there was a crew on board the next day replacing several large sheets of glass right by the pool grill.

I have zero doubt that both these Captains are professional and great at their jobs and no doubt made the right decision. But it reminded me that in rare instances, a captain can actually make a cruise incredibly memorable. On a Princess cruise out of LA, the captain would slow the ship down and actually change course to give us better views of dolphins and whales, pointing them out over the PA. He was lively and fun, and frankly one of the few positive aspects of the cruise. (Don't mean to sound snooty. We hated the food, had horrendous plumbing issues I'll decline from describing, and discovered that the line actually charged passengers to sit outside in the only nice shaded area.) And on a Celebrity cruise across the Bering Sea, the Captain decided on the last day to approach Vancouver from the north through the Inside Passage, giving us all a mini Alaska cruise. It was a nice surprise, and one of the highlights of a quite memorable journey.

Anyway...looking forward to tomorrow! We're skipping the 12 hour excursion to Berlin, with a three hour train ride to and from, and instead going on a shorter excursion to Schwerin Palace, which looks beautiful, and then taking the short train ride to Rostock by ourselves. Looks like a fun seaside town to explore.

Now back to my unexpected sea day!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anyway...looking forward to tomorrow! We're skipping the 12 hour excursion to Berlin, with a three hour train ride to and from, and instead going on a shorter excursion to Schwerin Palace, which looks beautiful, and then taking the short train ride to Rostock by ourselves. Looks like a fun seaside town to explore.

Now back to my unexpected sea day!

We did the same thing on our stop in Warnemunde. The town of Schwerin is beautiful. Enjoy your sea day.

I have only cruised once, Regent Carribean last May. While we did enjoy it, it wasn't the environment for us. I am 49, my neice was only 19 at the time. I am more interested in the ports, not especially the ship. We didn't like feeling that unless you wanted to come back from a day in port, change, and put a dress on you stay in your room. I am not much of a drinker, do the included alcohol didn't appeal much. For those reasons, I decided to try Viking Ocean to Alaska in 2019. I think it will be a better fit.

We will see. However, I'm pretty sure that for an itinerary with more sea days (or just staying on board in port), Regent is great.

We had a conceirge suite, so not one of the high-class suites, but everything was great. All the dining venues, service everywhere...exceptional. We just didn't spend much time taking advantage of it.

From reading barbarianpauls posts, I think I won't be disappointed

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Wonderful day in Copenhagen! Started off the day with a tour of a coastal town nearby called Dragor...quaint and beautiful.

07d4c972f9f6d70480fdab97b8405a97.jpg

Then we took a bus to the city center and explored on our own, which meant a fun afternoon at Tívoli Gardens...

64e19d194cecaa5fc4e74ed7aa4aeead.jpg

And a walk to Nyhavn.

b5c5133ea313564ef4e47484a746ecf0.jpg

And guess what ship was docked right next to us all day....yes, the Seven Seas Explorer!

dcfa90966a005a8ac2fa92620f740bfc.jpg

It looked like embarkation day, with a tent set up in front and lots of folks with luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a nice synchronicity to see the Explorer! Love your photos and comments, and especially the candor of your observations. I hope you have many more cruises on the Viking Ocean ships, the Regent ships, and invariably other ships that sail with style and panache.

Thanks OceanPatter! We're really enjoying our experience now on Viking. Of course the Explorer is amazing, but I think the Viking Star's design is more understated and elegant, and with so many comfortable and cozy nooks and crannies, its just a pleasure to be on board. The ship also has a more relaxed, informal vibe.

Thanks for the good posts, BP. I hope you'll post that travel and leisure article separately on the Regent board (and also, of course, the Viking Ocean). I'm 100% sure we would prefer understated elegance to what I've read and seen (only in photos) about Explorer. But we do love Regent, and we may be too old to try new tricks. Continue to enjoy!

BP: I was reading some threads on the Viking Ocean board, and I came across something that would be a deal breaker for us. A number of folks commented that they could hear noise from their neighbors (t.v and such). On our many cruises on Regent, we have never ever heard the slightest peep from a neighboring cabin (every once in a while on the balcony, but virtually never there either). In fact, I don't remember hearing anything in the halls either. Regent has excellent sound-proofing, that's for sure. Can you tell me, please, whether you've ever heard this sort of noise on Viking?

Thanks-- and glad you're enjoying!

Hey poss! Eidfjord tomorrow! It's a beautiful small town at the end of an amazing fjord into which we're going to sail.

Re your question...We've been onboard the Viking Star almost two weeks now and I haven't heard a single noise or peep from either the cabins next door or the hallway. Nothing at all. No issues whatsoever with the sound proofing.

I'm sure many readers have already seen this, but Viking was just ranked the #1 large ship cruise line by Travel and Leisure magazine. Crystal #2. Regent #3.

http://amp.travelandleisure.com/worlds-best/large-ocean-cruise-ships?source=dam

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just want to mention something that may or may not be true. It is rumored that Crystal passengers were given special benefits to passengers that voted on a poll (Conde Nast Traveler) which is why they came out #1 for years. After reading that, I no longer believe in polls.

And, as you mentioned, while you really like Viking Ocean, it sounds as if you do not put it in the same class as Regent (or other true luxury cruise lines). This doesn't take away from your enjoyment of your cruise but it also does not necessarily entice luxury cruisers to take a step down and try Viking Ocean (unless they do not drink, want to spend less money, etc.)

Just want to mention something that may or may not be true. It is rumored that Crystal passengers were given special benefits to passengers that voted on a poll (Conde Nast Traveler) which is why they came out #1 for years. After reading that, I no longer believe in polls.

Are you seriously accusing Crystal and, by inference, Viking of bribing customers to skew polls? That could be considered libellous without good evidence.

And, as you mentioned, while you really like Viking Ocean, it sounds as if you do not put it in the same class as Regent (or other true luxury cruise lines). This doesn't take away from your enjoyment of your cruise but it also does not necessarily entice luxury cruisers to take a step down and try Viking Ocean (unless they do not drink, want to spend less money, etc.)

I do not see why someone wishing to try a different cruise line with a different offering should be labelled as "stepping down" or "stepping up".

Elitism is never helpful on these Boards.

TC

You used the term "stepping down".

I can tell you that Viking Ocean is definitely not stepping down. It is a great product !

We love Regent, but Viking is incredible !

Agree 100%. We met 5 couples on our recent Viking cruise who were all alums of Regent. We all agreed that Viking delivered a top product.

Crystal only started with the polls two

years ago and it was not offered on every cruise. You could vote for any line of your choosing privately and in return for taking the T&L poll you would get Internet time. Crystal does not see these results all they note is that you completed the poll. I have not heard that they are still doing this.

I would not consider Viking a step down as many luxury cruisers are coming back with excellent reports. We have also heard that Viking will become all inclusive soon. Right now beer and wine are complimentary at all meals. The upper suites I believe are all inclusive.

I would not label people as stepping down as it does sound slightly elitist.

May or may not? Then why mention it? Rumors.

Posh. Fake news being spread again.:rolleyes:

Of course, no sources.

May or may not? Then why mention it? Rumors.

Posh. Fake news being spread again.:rolleyes:

Of course, no sources.

No longer a rumor as it is verified in the post before yours. Bribing for a review. Not sure what the point of your post was. My point is that you cannot always put much credence in polls.

Purplelady1: I am not judging people but rather the cruise line. Actually, it is not a judgement really since the hierarchy of cruise lines is what it is. Carnival and NCL are mainstream cruise lines, for instance, and calling it what it is really can't be construed as a negative.

So, you think that Viking is all-inclusive for upper suites? That would be disturbing and would be emulating mainstream cruise lines' "class system" rather than a luxury cruise line.

From what I am reading about Viking Ocean is that they are giving Oceania and Azamara a run for their money. While I don't know about Azamara, Oceania has become more inclusive in the past year. It will be interesting to watch the luxury-lite/premium plus cruise lines so see how far they will go in terms of all-inclusivity.

No longer a rumor as it is verified in the post before yours. Bribing for a review. Not sure what the point of your post was. My point is that you cannot always put much credence in polls.

Purplelady1: I am not judging people but rather the cruise line. Actually, it is not a judgement really since the hierarchy of cruise lines is what it is. Carnival and NCL are mainstream cruise lines, for instance, and calling it what it is really can't be construed as a negative.

So, you think that Viking is all-inclusive for upper suites? That would be disturbing and would be emulating mainstream cruise lines' "class system" rather than a luxury cruise line.

From what I am reading about Viking Ocean is that they are giving Oceania and Azamara a run for their money. While I don't know about Azamara, Oceania has become more inclusive in the past year. It will be interesting to watch the luxury-lite/premium plus cruise lines so see how far they will go in terms of all-inclusivity.

This would be a good spot to mention the article I read recently. I mentioned it on the luxury board but without the website...I wanted to check to make sure it's OK and it must be as it has been mentioned on CC during a Crystal discussion. Frank Del Rio gave a talk for travel agents called "why boomers rock for luxury". It's a good and insightful read ...especially his take on the word luxury. He also says, despite what anyone else says, that his Haven product is luxury. The article can be found on Travel Agent Central.