footwear on cruise for odd feet

waterman33

You do NOT want to be barefoot on a cruise ship. The decks are metal, with some sort of coating...and they get hot enough to BURN you badly....I bought some "flip flops" that have arch support...they are pretty comfy for my foot issues (plantar fasciitis )....TELIC is the name. Pricey, but I really love them. The inside is non-slip, as are the soles. Google them.

You do NOT want to be barefoot on a cruise ship. The decks are metal, with some sort of coating...and they get hot enough to BURN you badly....I bought some "flip flops" that have arch support...they are pretty comfy for my foot issues (plantar fasciitis )....TELIC is the name. Pricey, but I really love them. The inside is non-slip, as are the soles. Google them.

Look like Oofos

https://www.oofos.com/pages/womens-footwear

I take my heels off go down the stairs and put them back on at the bottom ( and visa versa). Comming back from port my feet are usually tired and I sometimes kick off my shoes and walk to my room barefoot. I'm not a germ a phob and I hate shoes in the summer but out of respect for otheres who have to walk on the same floor as me ( and because I've seen what sea sick and drunk people oh and kids DO on floors) I try to keep my shoes on most of the time.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Ouch - I know from experience P. Fasciitis can get pretty mean. Price many eventually pay for having those nice high arches. :(

I am a barefoot person, hate having to wear shoes. First thing I do when I get home is take my shoes off! I wear sandals to get to my 'seat' in the sun on deck but usually end up carrying my sandals back to my cabin. I have no problem walking on stones or anything. I always take my shoes off when I dance on board too. And, I'm an old lady of 73! Growing up, in the Hamptons, in the summer, we never wore shoes to drive or go to Bohacks, post office or anywhere.

OK, give me a good reason never to go barefoot!

Several posters have given good reasons. Deck can be too hot to walk on. Solarium on RC usually has a ceramic tile floor. Very hard to walk on when the sun has been beating down. Also, so much maintenance going on daily can result in anything on the floor carpet. Kids or adults dropping cereal, food; when it dries can be hard/sharp. I believe some fungal-type infections can be spread on wet pool decks, bathrooms, too.

I go barefoot all the time at home too, but often say a few choice words when I tread on dog kibble or a crumb front of treat that the dog missed!

Several posters have given good reasons.

I go barefoot all the time at home too, but often say a few choice words when I tread on dog kibble or a crumb front of treat that the dog missed!

Hahahahaaaaaa! Our cats often can't be civilized enough (don't tell them I said that!) to keep the kibble in their dish, and when we step on a stray kibble in our bare feet, we call them "cat Legos"! :')

I have high arches, and walking barefoot hurt my feet. I also can not wear totally flat shoes, they must have some support. My go to shoes around a pool or on the ship would be Sketcher sandals that have a raised insole area. They look pretty much like a flip flop, easy to put on and off, but give support.

If you live in Florida check Bealls for them. I see them in the Sketcher stores in the outlet malls also.

I just bought a pair of Sketchers Reggae sandals specifically for the arch support. My arches aren't a medical condition like OP's, but they are high, and feel much better with good arch support.

I'm sure OP has tried any number of regular shoes/sandals, but if it's just around the ship casually, perhaps something in the Sketchers line might help. They have squishy soles and great support.

Hope you find a good solution, OP! Have a great cruise!

OK, I do have tough feet, stepping on kibble or even stones don't bother me. After falling off a roof I always look where I am walking so don't walk on spilled food. If the deck is too hot I slip my feet in my sandals but don't put them on. And, I do have high arches too.

Plantar warts, athlete's foot, stepping on small shards of broken glass or something else sharp, stubbed toes due to raised thresholds and heavy fast-closing doors (once had this happen to me and lost a toenail).

Heck, at home just a few weeks ago I was walking barefoot in a hurry and cut my foot badly on the corner of an air-return grate in the hall that sticks up slightly. I had to get a tetanus shot. So if you do go barefoot, be sure that is up to date....

Plantar warts, athlete's foot, stepping on small shards of broken glass or something else sharp, stubbed toes due to raised thresholds and heavy fast-closing doors (once had this happen to me and lost a toenail).

Heck, at home just a few weeks ago I was walking barefoot in a hurry and cut my foot badly on the corner of an air-return grate in the hall that sticks up slightly. I had to get a tetanus shot. So if you do go barefoot, be sure that is up to date....

Great post.

Hello,

I have to laugh , because I have long skinny feet with a high arch. So, I like Merrill sandals because they fit great for me. On a cruise I bring the following.

Croc flip flops for walking to the pool deck. They fit my feet ok. These are not good to walk in for long distances in port. These sit flat in your suite case

1 pair of dress shoes pumps or dressy sandal ; usually black that go with everything. Depends on the location of the cruise.

Sketchers tennis shoes slip on type; For the plane

1 pair of athletic sandals (Merrill ) . These can be warn in the water(ocean).

Do not waste your money on shoes that are not comfortable for you. It is not worth it . My mom has the same foot as me and wore cheap athletic sandals and got plantar facilities, causing her a lot of pain. So, then we went to the walking company and got better sandals = more money. But, we have had the sandals for several summer seasons.

If you buy shoes before you leave wear them around the house to break them in. If they don't work for you , you will quickly learn this. You may also be able to return them to the store. IMHO

regards,

cruisenurse 1 :D