Q about customs and medications?

ALP1986

When will medications be checked by customs or TSA? I'm trying to figure out if there are some medications that I could just bring the amount needed and not worry about having original prescription bottles (which take up soooo much more room). Will they check when we board the ship? The only one that needs to be with me on the shore excursions (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica) is an asthma inhaler and holding chamber. Would there be any check by those countries other than the asthma inhaler and holding chamber? Do I need a doctor's note or is the box the asthma inhaler came in with a label from the pharmacy going to enough? Is the holding chamber something I need documentation for? (It's standard here for asthma patients but I have no idea about elsewhere.) I assume the US customs will check everything when we return but if I only bring what I need--I may not need to have original packaging for all...

When will medications be checked by customs or TSA? I'm trying to figure out if there are some medications that I could just bring the amount needed and not worry about having original prescription bottles (which take up soooo much more room). Will they check when we board the ship? The only one that needs to be with me on the shore excursions (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica) is an asthma inhaler and holding chamber. Would there be any check by those countries other than the asthma inhaler and holding chamber? Do I need a doctor's note or is the box the asthma inhaler came in with a label from the pharmacy going to enough? Is the holding chamber something I need documentation for? (It's standard here for asthma patients but I have no idea about elsewhere.) I assume the US customs will check everything when we return but if I only bring what I need--I may not need to have original packaging for all...

At the bottom line, what is REQUIRED by US CBP is that you carry with you proof of your legal right to have any particular prescription medication in your possession. An "original" pill bottle (which CBP "recommends") sort of does that except nothing stops a traveler from putting whatever they want in that bottle.

Nonetheless, there are a very few locations worldwide that may expect/demand original containers (particularly for narcotics. In those cases, there are some prescription medication sources that can provide prepackaged single doses, which is another (albeit expensive) way around the bulky pill bottles.

As do most folks who have ever often commuted by air (domestic/international) or otherwise spent a lot of time in and out of airports, I use a daily pill case and carry what is referred to by pharmacists as a "back panel," which (provided by your pharmacy) is a very detailed list (on pharmacy stationery) of your meds including your name, the name of the prescribing MD, medication name with dosage information, and a description of the appearance of the medication (preferably ad an actual thumbnail picture).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When travelling, my husband and I always take our medication in their appropriate packaging together with our original prescriptions (just in case the medication is lost and has to be replaced) together with a letter from our GP explaining what the medication is for. It is always in our carry-on luggage when flying

It hadn't happened in a while, but in the past I had a couple of incidents when TSA told me to take a puff of my inhaler in front of them. I always travel with a brief doctor's letter noting my meds and why I take them. Never had an issue with my inhaler in a port, but I always have a couple of spares in my safe just in case something happens.

It hadn't happened in a while, but in the past I had a couple of incidents when TSA told me to take a puff of my inhaler in front of them. I always travel with a brief doctor's letter noting my meds and why I take them. Never had an issue with my inhaler in a port, but I always have a couple of spares in my safe just in case something happens.

Next time any TSA person asks you to do that, ask to speak with a supervisor for an explanation of why you should take a puff when you don't need it or, even worse, may have already done so recently within the allowable time span for repeated use.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/09/tsa-travel-tips-traveling-with.html?m=1

http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/09/tsa-travel-tips-traveling-with.html?m=1

Next time, ask for a supervisor to explain why you should administer medications when it is unnecessary.

I bring what I need in a travel container. I have never been questioned. They are in my personal bag. I also frequently bring back medications which are legal in Canada but RX here in the states. I do declare them and have never had a problem as long as the quantity is for "personal consumption" (which means 50 pills)

Whenever we fill/refill a prescription we get a sheet with the same info as on the bottle and some facts sheets about the drug. Taking just the pages (or sometimes small slips) with the prescription info (dose/instructions) is a lot less bulky than the bottles so we just take out daily compartment boxes. If anyone really cared they could lookup the pill descriptions and codes in the PDR book and verify they match the prescription sheets.

I bring what I need in a travel container. I have never been questioned. They are in my personal bag. I also frequently bring back medications which are legal in Canada but RX here in the states. I do declare them and have never had a problem as long as the quantity is for "personal consumption" (which means 50 pills)

I can buy 2 bottles of 200 222s and so can my DH. Or any combination of codeine drugs. I can also bring back cough medicine as well. The rule is 2 bottles per adult. Do you know that in Canada you need a prescription for Neosporine?

When we travel we use these and love them. If we are gone for say 2 weeks, we just double up. Plenty of room in each pocket and when you come back to the States, they are empty so you do not have to worry. Also, they have never been expected in any country,- yet.

https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=MFV690+BK&srccode=NXCMC3&utm_source=Nextag&utm_medium=comparison&utm_campaign=datafeed&source=origin&gdffi=7dda940cb6754507b2848bca01956600&gdfms=6777ECA4015847229A230463919B2BF7

Would there be any check by those countries[/b] other than the asthma inhaler and holding chamber?

You won't be encountering any immigration officials from any of these countries when you get off your ship at any of these ports.