Azamara wine

byng735

We recently booked on the Journey for a med cruise. Just wondering how the wine is that is included. We are not fixated on one particular wine (e.g. Cabernet), but really don't enjoy the really cheap stuff (e.g. Two Buck Chuck)!

thanks for any comments!

I DO drink a lot (especially wine, don't judge!), and I found the wines to be adequate, but not great. There are some definately better than others, and for most people, I imagine the wines are more than acceptable. They are on par with a Columbia Crest, Kendall Jackson, etc (what I would call better quality grocery store or Costco wine). I found that if one of the wines was not to your palate, they gladly found a wine that was previously served. I particularly like the Sav Blanc and one of the Portugese reds (I forget which varietal). I think they still serve a rose that was decent (well chilled), especially for outdoor lunch while overlooking Cannes or Nice :)

I think you will probably be fine unless you are 1) an uber wine snob, or 2) are used to drinking cult California cabs or other very high end wines.

Good luck!

John R.

I think we know a fair amount about wine. We are in wine tasting and buy clubs, and we are pretty careful about what we buy and what we will drink. That said, I endorse everything PSULion says. I certainly have friends who would turn their noses up at the wine choices, but I think they are perfectly acceptable. More in line in every day drinking wines rather than those you would expect to find at a nice wine tasting, but perfectly fine for dinner.

I agree. They offer a fair choice of complementary wines. We drink wine often, and have our favorites. There are a few that they serve that we really enjoy, others, not so much. But as previous posters have said, if they are serving one you do not like, just let them know and they will try to find a bottle from a previous night that you do enjoy. They would be priced somewhere around $35-$50 if you had to purchase it. Around $18.00 - $25.00 retail which is typical for restaurants. Enjoy your cruise

The only day that you probably won't be able to get a previous day's wine is the first day of your cruise. Otherwise it should not be a problem. You may also want to investigate buying a wine package if the offerred selections don't meet your taste. Each day you'll have a selection of one red and white wine. The rose is good but you usually have to ask for it since it is not displayed with the wines of the day.

The phrase I would use to describe Azamara wine is very drinkable - or maybe some days I would say too drinkable :(

Absolutely! :D

It's not vintage wine, but it's very pleasant.

We particularly enjoy the Philippe Gebert (sp?) merlot and often request it on days when it's not the wine of the day.

I'm not so fond of the Portuguese red and white though....but it's no problem, just ask for another wine and they will do their best to get it for you.

They have plenty of decent wines and to make it more understandable the prices vary between $ 10-23 if you were to go and buy them in a supermarket or a wine shop. The wines circulate in pairs and it is usually not a problem to ask for a different type if the "wine of the day" is not in your taste.

Great help....many thanks for your replies! We are mostly big-Califonia reds or eastern washington (great value these days). We do also really enjoy some of the big whites (Vionier, Sauvingnon Blanc etc). Even so, we are not at all fussy and enjoy trying all sorts from any corner of the world...one of the great things about wine is trying something new.

The only wines we have always struggled with are the Spanish reds. I know they have some great wines, but their varieties are a bit confusing. We always find they have a very musty flavour...some of our friends really enjoy it so perhaps an acquired taste.

From the sounds of it we should be verrry happy! I can't wait!

Oh yeah, the cruise part should be good too!!

cheers

Marcus

Each day there are new wines that are included with meals. Some good, some bad. White, red, and rose. When I find one that I like, I ask for it for the rest of the cruise. Last cruise I liked a particular Merlot. If you don't like the daily wines, ask for something else.

They have a nice South African Sauvignon Blanc on at the moment and if they are doing the Clifford Bay NZ SB I really like that one. Only white I don't really like is the Riesling.

Phil

I am LOL:D as i love Rieslings but over all prefer malbacs. .one cruise i was on we drank it all. i have brought wine from them and loved. .but some of the daily's are to light bodied for my taste.

what is good for some is not good for others. never thought i was but i am becoming a wine snob. i do not know what Danko knows but i know what i like

We recently booked on the Journey for a med cruise. Just wondering how the wine is that is included. We are not fixated on one particular wine (e.g. Cabernet), but really don't enjoy the really cheap stuff (e.g. Two Buck Chuck)!

thanks for any comments!

We liked the complimentary wines on our Azamara cruises. Since we drink red, cannot comment on the whites but you can find a list of the wines on the Azamara website under beverage packages then complimentary beverages tab then click on he boutique wines tab and voila a list. We liked the Cline Zinfandel, Crusher Merlot and the Canyon Road Cabernet. Enjoy.

The wine list looks quite acceptable, but to call the selections "boutique" wines is laughable. I think that raises expectations that are bound to be dashed. Having said that, I really enjoy the Bogle Chardonnay, so will be happy if I can get it on a regular basis. I just wouldn't call something that's sold at my local Von's "boutique." Truth in advertising and all.:)

We liked the complimentary wines on our Azamara cruises. Since we drink red, cannot comment on the whites but you can find a list of the wines on the Azamara website under beverage packages then complimentary beverages tab then click on he boutique wines tab and voila a list. We liked the Cline Zinfandel, Crusher Merlot and the Canyon Road Cabernet. Enjoy.

Thanks for the directions to the wine list....never would have found that! Looks pretty good!