Regatta evening shows

treasurer

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are 2 shows in the evening on Regatta? I believe there is a show at 9:30 but am hoping there is an earlier one also. Thanks for your help.

There never is a second show on any of the Oceania ships.

Just not enough people to justify this - even on their larger ships.

Personally, as we dine early, I would love to have an earlier and later show but it's not going to happen :(

There never is a second show on any of the Oceania ships.

Just not enough people to justify this - even on their larger ships.

Personally, as we dine early, I would love to have an earlier and later show but it's not going to happen :(

I would say "very rarely", Paul, in place of never.

73-og.jpg

I'm not sure if the days of "name acts" on Oceania are over forever-

but when they had the Platters on, they did two shows.

73-og.jpg

You are right.

I should have said - in my experience, they've never had 2 shows on any of the ships or cruises that I've been on. :)

you mean they have shows on Regatta!!!

Woops, nothing to write home about, thus in the past I have never been tempted by any venue to see one.

Enrichment can be good but in truth if you are building your hopes and desires around an evening of gala shows and acts....you may be in for a letdown.

Regatta, a R ship is a small slice of social ambiance and excellent dining with more pleasure from your fellow shipmates than a cabaret.

73-og.jpg

But I think that was a special deal on Marina :D

We got on when you disembarked & all we got was Rory & Murphy the wonder dog ;)

you mean they have shows on Regatta!!!

Woops, nothing to write home about, thus in the past I have never been tempted by any venue to see one.

Enrichment can be good but in truth if you are building your hopes and desires around an evening of gala shows and acts....you may be in for a letdown.

Regatta, a R ship is a small slice of social ambiance and excellent dining with more pleasure from your fellow shipmates than a cabaret.

Dan

While I agree that the shows don't appeal greatly to me, I am not sure anyone can say that if they have never seen one:confused:

OTOH, while we don't go to many of the shows (DH has gone to more than I have, however) we HAVE seen some very good ones. But our definition of "good" probably doesn't match most peoples' definition ... since we prefer classical music. But we've seen a few shows (musical and otherwise) that were NOT classical which we also enjoyed.

But it's true -- people shouldn't expect that much on any of Oceania's ships, and if having a great show is really important to you ... you should probably choose another line.

Mura

I wonder what makes the production shows on lines like Carnival & Celebrity (& other main stream lines) better than those on Oceania for many cruisers.

Is it the larger stage, more performers, lots of feathers, scan female performers' clothnig or is it a better performance with better singers and dancers, better choreography?

From my perspective, four good and competent singers and dancers beat a stage full of nicely costumed average performers on any night. It's quality, not quantity that matters to me.

I've seen some pretty good shows on O - and some not so great ones as well.

It's not Broadway or West End - it's a show on a cruise line with performers that are not good enough to make the stages of Broadway or West End. That is why they are on a cruise ship. But that can be said of Celebrity & Princess (and others) as well. That alone does not make them bad or unwatchable.

JMO

I too would like O to offer an earlier show so that there would be room in the late show for me!

I find it ironic that people are often complaining about the quality of the shows yet often I can't get a seat when I show up after the performance started. We eat late and linger then I like to drop in on the show. Especially on the R-ships where there are those tall chairs at the back and I can slip in without disturbing people. Sometimes even those of not been available. On the O-ships so many people sit near the aisles leaving large empty gaps in the centre so I hesitate to interrupt them by passing by to get to those seats even though the rows are particularly wide.

So how is it that they are so disliked but often there is little room?

I agree that sometimes the shows are not so spectacular but I've seen a few that it been very good and I've seen a few that have been just okay but I am not expecting Broadway. And personally I don't want to pay for Broadway included in my cruise price. The cost of staging a show spread over <700 pax versus >2500 pax is not insignificant.

Personally, I prefer smaller cabaret style performances than glitz, glitter, and Las Vegas. I gather from reading the boards over the years though many do want big shows, or at least the most vocal so I could be an outlier.

It's also interesting the effect of the audience themselves ("if there aint no audience there aint no show").

If the audience is up and positive and in a celebratory mood the show will be better. And it's not just the entertainers feeding off of that it's the audience themselves. And a grumbling, unhappy audience is pretty tough to put a smile on them.

Very small example is on one of our cruises there was a comedian who was a sellout, SRO. He was such a hit and there was such demand, that he put on extra shows and they promoted it that way.

Comedy is a tough sell and very audience dependent.

I read a review of another O cruise with the same comedian and he was described as terrible and that his performance was very poorly attended.

Now, lets talk food ... :D

YoHoHo -- I am NOT disagreeing with you!

We also are not interested in the big glitzy shows - which really can't happen on that tiny stage anyway. I much prefer an intimate cabaret show (whether it's classical or pop or jazz) to the "big show".

On our June/July cruise on Nautica and our October cruise on Sirena the shows we went do were very well attended. In fact, most of them were classical music performances. (We had the same wonderful pianist on both cruises.)

The pianist in question has a non-profit bringing classical music to people who never see it -- we're talking third world countries -- and he gave a wonderful lecture on both cruises about this endeavor of his. I talked it up to people on the second cruise since we'd enjoyed it so much on our first cruise.

We tend to eat late so when we entered the theater we generally had to sit at the back. That's not a problem for us ... if we want to leave, we can be discreet

Mura

OTOH, while we don't go to many of the shows (DH has gone to more than I have, however) we HAVE seen some very good ones. But our definition of "good" probably doesn't match most peoples' definition ... since we prefer classical music. But we've seen a few shows (musical and otherwise) that were NOT classical which we also enjoyed.

Mura

+1

We have seen some good solo performers in the past we also prefer the classical music performers

everyone has different tastes in entertainment just like food