Connecting balconies

cruisesoon

They open, but the way it was explained to me is there is no way to secure them in the open position when it's done. When the ship is sailing they can swing and break so for safety reasons they keep them locked except for crew to access when cleaning or varnishing the balconies in port for instance.

They open, but the way it was explained to me is there is no way to secure them in the open position when it's done. When the ship is sailing they can swing and break so for safety reasons they keep them locked except for crew to access when cleaning or varnishing the balconies in port for instance.

Hello cruisesoon,

I second what excitedofharpenden says..the balcony doors do open, but typically for maintenance.

P.s. Very cute name :)

We were on Carnival for a two week trip our daughter and 2 granddaughters were in the next cabin and they opened the balcony door and it stayed open the whole trip, we also had them open on a Princess T/A

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You did not state Azamara in your post we're not mind readers!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But the question is being asked on the Azamara board and refers to an Azamara ship so it should have been pretty obvious!!!

Edited by Bobal

Hello goldenrod,

I welcome you to the Azamara board! And I speak for the whole company when I say we'd love to welcome you and your extended family aboard an Azamara Club Cruises ship soon.

P.s. I for one found it interesting that your other lines' balcony doors can be secured open. As already mentioned, ours cannot be. I may have to investigate...

Bonnie,

On the Celebrity S-class ships the balconies (or at least most of them) can be opened and secured. So there is some precedent within the corporation. Whether or not a secure latch could be added simply is another question. Celebrity has not (yet) retrofitted the M-class balconies so it may not be practical.

Bonnie, the reason I asked is because on Princess ships they can be left open. It is so nice to be able to do this when traveling with someone else too. Wish it was like this on the Journey.

Are you specifically referring to the Princess R ships like Pacific Princess that are sister ships to Quest and Journey? We've sailed twice on Pacific and saw the balconies opened for cleaning but not latched open. We were traveling alone so didn't explore options for adjoining balconies..

Bonnie,

On the Celebrity S-class ships the balconies (or at least most of them) can be opened and secured. So there is some precedent within the corporation. Whether or not a secure latch could be added simply is another question. Celebrity has not (yet) retrofitted the M-class balconies so it may not be practical.

Bob, the S-Class balconies are deeper so the hinged part doubles back on part of the divider itself. On the Azamara ships because the balconies aren't as deep the glass divider actually hinges back over the patio door so there's no way to make it "safe". Well that's been my observation.

C'mon, folks, it is all about the design of the ship(s).

Some ships have balcony dividers that can be opened and secured by design.

Other ships have dividers that cannot be opened at all and some that can be opened but not secured. That is the case of R-class ships.

What can and cannot be done on other lines/ships has no bearing here. Square peg, round hole. :)