Cruising with larger families

Djaesmom

I am curious how families greater than 4 people can plan a cruise? I have been searching for weeks now trying to find something reasonable but it seems impossible for 1 adult and 4 kids. I am able to reserve for a family of 4 for just over 4000$ but when I call about adding a fifth person, the cost is at least 2000$ more. Even though there will be 2 other families sailing, with only 2 people in each cabin and plenty of room for an extra child, this is not allowed. Any advice or experiences with large families would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While most cruiselines have family cabins ranging from interiors to full suites (you need to call to book these), I would recommend connecting cabins - available also from interiors to full suites. Often the same price as a family cabin - sometimes even less - AND you get two bathrooms. Check with a TA that specializes in cruises.

I am curious how families greater than 4 people can plan a cruise? I have been searching for weeks now trying to find something reasonable but it seems impossible for 1 adult and 4 kids. I am able to reserve for a family of 4 for just over 4000$ but when I call about adding a fifth person, the cost is at least 2000$ more. Even though there will be 2 other families sailing, with only 2 people in each cabin and plenty of room for an extra child, this is not allowed. Any advice or experiences with large families would be greatly appreciated.

As noted, there are some cruise lines that have rooms that accommodate more than 2 people. Try checking around for those.

Many find booking two connecting rooms (or adjoining, depending on the ages of the children) to be be a better option than booking a suite, however.

On Carnival, they have family room that sleep 2 adults and 3 kids in one room. On Disney and Celebrity, they have room that sleep 2 adults and 2 kids. These are just regular room with sofa turns into bed and a bunk bed pull down from the ceiling. I think you just need to find a connecting room that could sleep 3. If you go to the cruise site and look at the deck plan usually they have little symbol in the room showing you that those room has extra beds.

Thanks! We are cruising Royal Caribbean, and even though the site often states that the cabins sleep 'up to 5 people' this option is never available when I call. The other cabins we've booked for two people have two twin beds and a sofa bed but we are still not allowed to put a third person. We have called on more than three occasions and continue to get the same answer. We will keep trying ;)

Thanks! We are cruising Royal Caribbean, and even though the site often states that the cabins sleep 'up to 5 people' this option is never available when I call. The other cabins we've booked for two people have two twin beds and a sofa bed but we are still not allowed to put a third person. We have called on more than three occasions and continue to get the same answer. We will keep trying ;)

Sometimes that will happen, if the lifeboat that room is assigned to is full. Don't know if that's how it works on RCCL, but it does on Disney. There are more beds than spaces in the lifeboats to allow for more flexibility in bookings. But, once the lifeboat space is full for any given set of rooms, you can't necessarily book all the beds in a room.

Hello, I cruised with Royal Caribbean and I had ten in my family. We had five adults and five kids. We had four cabins. Three interior and one balcony. Everyone fit nicely. The three interior were all across hall from balcony cabin

I have four children, and this is how I usually do it:

If I can get two interior or oceanview connecting rooms (ha ha, good luck with this, there are very very few of these special snowflake setups) then I'll book myself and two kids in one, and my husband and two kids in the other. That's how we BOOK it. In practice, the four kids share one of the rooms, and my husband and I are in the other. That's how we did it when the kids were little, anyway. I don't know how old yours are.

On Carnival and RCI at least, now that the children aren't babies, they've never given us any crap about it if we book two ADJACENT staterooms (that are non-connecting) and book the four kids in one, and the two adults in the other. My kids range from 6 to 11, and greatly, greatly enjoy having their own (non-balcony) stateroom. If they mess up, they know that the privilege will be swiftly removed from them, and mom or dad will be in there with them the way we used to do it.

We've never had a bit of problem with this.

One time, we lucked out and got a stupendous deal on a Royal Family Suite on the Liberty of the Seas. It has a separate 4-berth bedroom for the kids, and a king-sized bedroom for the parents, and a pull out bed in the living room, with a double balcony. Absolutely wonderful. Usually they are very pricey though. Absolutely recommend getting one if you can swing it, though. They really cater to suite passengers! We had such an awesome time.

As far as one of the single balcony cabins that supposedly sleeps 5 go, I have also never actually seen this implemented. I presume that the fifth person sleeps on the sofa, made into a bed. Never have seen pricing for it.

I seem to recall that Disney has some unusual setups like this, though.

We've sailed with 7 grandkids once. We had a balcony and a family oceanview. The family cabin had to be booked through the website, probably because otherwise couples would book it for the extra room.

It slept six; regular (or could be configured as twins) bed, large sofa sleeper and a bunk room. The 4 girls loved the bunk room so much they all slept in there; they were ages 6-11. Large room with very large windows at the front of the ship. Plenty of storage but only one bathroom. It worked out great for us and we had a good special where kids cost much less besides.

There were also curtains to divide the bed from the sofa sleeper area, for some privacy.

thats because you are outnumbered. your only option as a single parent is the family suites OR interior connecting rooms. policy says that every cabin with minors needs an adult booked in to it. you would have to call for connecting cabins as the system will not let you book with only 1 adult.

keep in mind, also that just because a cabin is rated to hold 3 or more, CG regs state that once the life boat station for that section is full, no one else can be booked in that section

I have four children, and this is how I usually do it:

If I can get two interior or oceanview connecting rooms (ha ha, good luck with this, there are very very few of these special snowflake setups) then I'll book myself and two kids in one, and my husband and two kids in the other. That's how we BOOK it. In practice, the four kids share one of the rooms, and my husband and I are in the other. That's how we did it when the kids were little, anyway. I don't know how old yours are.

On Carnival and RCI at least, now that the children aren't babies, they've never given us any crap about it if we book two ADJACENT staterooms (that are non-connecting) and book the four kids in one, and the two adults in the other. My kids range from 6 to 11, and greatly, greatly enjoy having their own (non-balcony) stateroom. If they mess up, they know that the privilege will be swiftly removed from them, and mom or dad will be in there with them the way we used to do it.

We've never had a bit of problem with this.

One time, we lucked out and got a stupendous deal on a Royal Family Suite on the Liberty of the Seas. It has a separate 4-berth bedroom for the kids, and a king-sized bedroom for the parents, and a pull out bed in the living room, with a double balcony. Absolutely wonderful. Usually they are very pricey though. Absolutely recommend getting one if you can swing it, though. They really cater to suite passengers! We had such an awesome time.

As far as one of the single balcony cabins that supposedly sleeps 5 go, I have also never actually seen this implemented. I presume that the fifth person sleeps on the sofa, made into a bed. Never have seen pricing for it.

I seem to recall that Disney has some unusual setups like this, though.

On Disney the verandah rooms that sleep 5 have a queen bed (2), sofa bed (1), pull down bunk (1), and a Murphy bed (1).

juford.jpg

This may be a time where advanced planning helps tremendously. Royal does have family suites for 5 or more, but they are limited and do not show up on the website as bookable. The number of these vary by ship as well. The longer out you plan, the more options you will have. This may be the time to use a TA that can help you navigate the waters so to speak.

I think you also have to deal with the problem of 1 adult and 4 kids. I think you cannot put the kids without an adult in a room unless it is a room connecting to the adult's room. So if you have 2 rooms and only 1 adult, the 2 rooms have to be connected. So finding a pair of connecting rooms with 1 of the 2 room could sleep 3 is definitely much more difficult than finding just any room that could sleep 3.

You need to keep calling and talk to someone who WILL let you put the kids in a cabin next to yours. It CAN happen, but you need to get a person willing to do it....most of the "reps" are reading out of some instruction manual and they won't go "off-script". It CAN be done....

I think you also have to deal with the problem of 1 adult and 4 kids. I think you cannot put the kids without an adult in a room unless it is a room connecting to the adult's room. So if you have 2 rooms and only 1 adult, the 2 rooms have to be connected. So finding a pair of connecting rooms with 1 of the 2 room could sleep 3 is definitely much more difficult than finding just any room that could sleep 3.

For Royal the kids can be across the hall, adjoining OR connecting. I don't recall the OP stating how old the four kids are that are sailing with but if they are "old enough" for the family to comfortably allow them to stay across the hall or next door without a connecting room they can do that. We started putting our kids across the hall or next door when they were 13 and 9- usually across the hall as interiors are way less expensive than balcony staterooms. To do this we always called to book, the website will not allow you to do this- one person must be twenty-one in the room if you book online.

Which ship are you looking at and what time of year?

You need to keep calling and talk to someone who WILL let you put the kids in a cabin next to yours. It CAN happen, but you need to get a person willing to do it....most of the "reps" are reading out of some instruction manual and they won't go "off-script". It CAN be done....

Thank you. I was wondering about that too and hoping that at some point an agent would work with us. Also, like I mentioned, there are already two other cabins booked with only one adult one child in each and more than enough sleeping room. Hopefully one way or another we can figure this out ;) I have also read something about a 'balance due date' and that quite often rooms come available after that point due to some rooms being cancelled ?

For Royal the kids can be across the hall, adjoining OR connecting. I don't recall the OP stating how old the four kids are that are sailing with but if they are "old enough" for the family to comfortably allow them to stay across the hall or next door without a connecting room they can do that. We started putting our kids across the hall or next door when they were 13 and 9- usually across the hall as interiors are way less expensive than balcony staterooms. To do this we always called to book, the website will not allow you to do this- one person must be twenty-one in the room if you book online.

Which ship are you looking at and what time of year?

The kids are 16, 14 and two 12 year olds. Royal Caribbean, Oasis of the Seas, August 2017. Thanks :)

We booked recently with RCI and I assumed we had to book an adult in each room. I called RCI directly and was told I could book the kids in one room and us in another. We did get connecting rooms BUT the agent on the phone told me the rooms didn't have to be connecting- the rooms just had to be next to each other or across the hall from each other.

If you have 8 or more total people (who all get along), consider a crewed yacht charter of a large catamaran (>60 feet) or equivalent motor yacht. Using a good yacht broker. (e.g., Ed Hamilton Inc) you can find quality and service equal to whatever level you prefer on a cruise ship for about the same total cost and pretty much anywhere in the world you might want to go.

If you have 8 or more total people (who all get along), consider a crewed yacht charter of a large catamaran (>60 feet) or equivalent motor yacht. Using a good yacht broker. (e.g., Ed Hamilton Inc) you can find quality and service equal to whatever level you prefer on a cruise ship for about the same total cost and pretty much anywhere in the world you might want to go.

While the cost might match, I am inclined that very few families interested in cruising would be happy with a yacht charter: the lack of different eating options, no kids club, no production shows, no swimming pool, etc., etc. would leave the vast majority cold.

While the cost might match, I am inclined that very few families interested in cruising would be happy with a yacht charter: the lack of different eating options, no kids club, no production shows, no swimming pool, etc., etc. would leave the vast majority cold.

In my experience, that really depends on the people doing it. When our daughter was a youngster, we did one particular charter with another family including two kids. Their kids loved it and still speak of it today as one of the best vacations they've ever had. Our kid, a competitive youth sailor, was in hog heaven when it was her turn to "skipper" that boat.

Contrary to what you may think, there's tremendous food choice on a crewed yacht charter- all decided prior to the trip including likes/dislikes, favorite booze et al.. And unlike a cruise ship, you can change your mind about "ports," stay overnight to have enough time to enjoy local entertainment, etc etc.

And, no, there are no slides or rock walls (which really have nothing to do with "life at sea").

Of course, at the bottom line, it's a personal choice. But yacht charter is a viable option for all sorts of discerning families.