Lest We Forget

th?id=OIP.TE3-gpp1WZukc9A4RnIk1wEsCu&w=184&h=107&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&dpr=2&pid=3.1&rm=2

In honour and commemoration of those who served and continue to serve from the two great nations - Australia & New Zealand.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning - We Will Remember Them. Lest We Forget.

th?id=OIP.TE3-gpp1WZukc9A4RnIk1wEsCu&w=184&h=107&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&dpr=2&pid=3.1&rm=2

In honour and commemoration of those who served and continue to serve from the two great nations - Australia & New Zealand.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning - We Will Remember Them. Lest We Forget.

Lest we forget.

I usually attend a dawn service, but today I'm watching live on TV at 4.30am Brisbane's moving dawn service at Anzac Square. There is a big crowd in attendance, including young children.

They are also showing preparations for the dawn service at Elephant Rock, at Currumbin

We continue to remember them. Lest we forget.

Lest We Forget!

We just arrived home. Dawn Service at 4am in our little town and then into Mackay for the main March and Service. My husband marched at both so is resting his feet now. Over 5000 school kids marched in Mackay ( including 2 of our little granddaughters who marched with their school and two of the oldest who are in Army Cadets) which is terrific to see. It is wonderful to see how the younger generation are embracing ANZAC Day and carrying on the traditions and memories.

Lest We Forget!

We just arrived home. Dawn Service at 4am in our little town and then into Mackay for the main March and Service. My husband marched at both so is resting his feet now. Over 5000 school kids marched in Mackay ( including 2 of our little granddaughters who marched with their school and two of the oldest who are in Army Cadets) which is terrific to see. It is wonderful to see how the younger generation are embracing ANZAC Day and carrying on the traditions and memories.

Marching twice on ANZAC Day is real dedication. You must be proud of him and your grandchildren. I agree it is wonderful to see so many young children learning about ANZAC Day and carrying on its traditions.

I was brought up to attend the Dawn Service, then watch ALL the ANZAC Day services and marches throughout Australia, as well as Gallipoli, on ABC TV. It was a quiet day of remembrance until the afternoon.

A bit of Anzac history at Fraser Island.

Moves are afoot for a permanent memorial to the " SS Maheno" which lies shipwrecked on Fraser Island. She was a Hospital ship at Gallipoli on this day 102 years ago.

241qp2f.jpg

2gvjw9i.jpg

You can read about her here....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Maheno

http://ww100.govt.nz/permanent-memorial-to-nz-hospital-ship-maheno

We attended our local Dawn Service this morning, always a beautiful morning, with the sun rising in our little country town and the birds flying overhead in the trees.

Last ANZAC day we sailed into Milne Bay on the Dawn Princess, early morning fog and mist on the bay giving it an eery feel. My cousin was killed in the battle of Buna- Gona and is buried at Port Moresby, age 23.

My next wish is to fly to Port Moresby and lay flowers at his grave for my late Grandmother, as I believe that no family member has ever visited.......the closest I can get by cruise is Aloatau and it is too far to drive in a day.

There is an inscription for him on his parents grave in Clare South Australia.

I have also this year found out that my Great Great Grandfather, who disappeared presumed dead, had taken off to Western Australia in search of gold and started a whole new family, two of my Uncles there served in Gallipoli and France, so even though I have always had an interest in War history, it is even more so now.

Their sacrifice is in my heart forever.

Lest We Forget!

Great stuff. 5000 kids, I remember marching with school, scouts or cubs back in the day.

How far out of town are you. My family spent generations in the Mackay, Mirani, Finch Hatton areas.

Great stuff. 5000 kids, I remember marching with school, scouts or cubs back in the day.

How far out of town are you. My family spent generations in the Mackay, Mirani, Finch Hatton areas.

Our closest town is Marian, which is the town before Mirani as you head up the Valley.

]Marching twice on ANZAC Day is real dedication. You must be proud of him and your grandchildren. I agree it is wonderful to see so many young children learning about ANZAC Day and carrying on its traditions. .

Yes, he is in the local RSL and is proud to wear his Dolphins and medals on Anzac Day and then go into town and march in the parade with our Grandkids. Matty is in year 12 this year, so his last year in Army Cadets. Kayla wears her Great Uncles medals and Mathew his Great Grandfathers each year. One of the younger grandkids will have to wear those next year, I guess.

Just edited to add... A few years ago we cruised through the Dardanelles on Anzac Day on Mariner of the Seas. The Cruise Director organised a wonderful, moving service on the top decks as we past by Gallipoli. It was so moving and I doubt there many dry eyes.

Our closest town is Marian, which is the town before Mirani as you head up the Valley.

Yes, he is in the local RSL and is proud to wear his Dolphins and medals on Anzac Day and then go into town and march in the parade with our Grandkids. Matty is in year 12 this year, so his last year in Army Cadets. Kayla wears her Great Uncles medals and Mathew his Great Grandfathers each year. One of the younger grandkids will have to wear those next year, I guess.

Just edited to add... A few years ago we cruised through the Dardanelles on Anzac Day on Mariner of the Seas. The Cruise Director organised a wonderful, moving service on the top decks as we past by Gallipoli. It was so moving and I doubt there many dry eyes.

Got it, and know it.

My little (now 30) girl is also named Kayla

Got it, and know it.

My little (now 30) girl is also named Kayla

So what is your family name? Our family has been in this area since the 1920's so it's possible I might recognise it.

Yes, Kayla is a very nice name :)

So what is your family name? Our family has been in this area since the 1920's so it's possible I might recognise it.

Yes, Kayla is a very nice name :)

Gorton or Cameron are the one's around that area.

Gorton or Cameron are the one's around that area.

Yes, both names are familiar. I went to school with some Cameron girls and I knew 'old Glen' who owned the Butcher shop in Mirani quite well. Not sure if they are related to you.

I spent all my holidays in the Mackay region, in holiday houses at the beaches, from Sarina to Seaforth, and the nearby island resorts. My great aunt and uncle held the lease on Newry Island, whilst my uncle had the oyster lease on Outer Newry and was a part owner of Frendeley Motors in Mackay. I love that region.

I spent all my holidays in the Mackay region, in holiday houses at the beaches, from Sarina to Seaforth, and the nearby island resorts. My great aunt and uncle held the lease on Newry Island, whilst my uncle had the oyster lease on Outer Newry and was a part owner of Frendeley Motors in Mackay. I love that region.

Small world isn't it.

Hi all

Well, I am a yank but wanted to join in and say well done for ANZAC day. Went past Gallipoli in 2013 and learned of the brave sacrifices there. So many gave their lives, inspiring to see you Aussies honor them.

Wasn't Mackay hit by Debbie pretty hard? We were there in March and I thought I remembered it having heavy damage/flooding.

Good onya mates,

ML

Hi all

Well, I am a yank but wanted to join in and say well done for ANZAC day. Went past Gallipoli in 2013 and learned of the brave sacrifices there. So many gave their lives, inspiring to see you Aussies honor them.

Wasn't Mackay hit by Debbie pretty hard? We were there in March and I thought I remembered it having heavy damage/flooding.

Good onya mates,

ML

Mackay missed the brunt of Cyclone Debbie, but had local flooding, which was not as bad as originally thought it was going to be. People from areas subject to flooding were evacuated. Some flooding was in new areas.

Hi all

Good onya mates,

ML

Mackay got through Debbie reasonably well, not as bad as many places.

ANZAC day is pretty special here, for a while it seemed to becoming just another holiday, but the Spirit has risen I'm glad to say.

As an aside the Swans are now Five for none.

Just disembarked from a Sydney return cruise which included an Anzac service for the 85% of passengers from Australia and New Zealand. A prayer was said for Queen Elizabeth, a man with a beautiful voice sang the NZ National Anthem, the Australian National Anthem was played on the piano followed by God Save the Queen, a wreath was cast to sea, the trumpeter played his part.

Just disembarked from a Sydney return cruise which included an Anzac service for the 85% of passengers from Australia and New Zealand. A prayer was said for Queen Elizabeth, a man with a beautiful voice sang the NZ National Anthem, the Australian National Anthem was played on the piano followed by God Save the Queen, a wreath was cast to sea, the trumpeter played his part.

We were on the same cruise and while we appreciated having a service we thought the prayer for the Queen and playing God Save the Queen were inappropriate. We also thought someone should have said we now invite you to sing the Australian National Anthem.

Edited by sailco

I probably met your aunt and uncle at some point. We stayed at a family beach house at Seaforth every holidays and went to Newry.

NoWhiner, Mackay didn't fare too badly and had some really strong winds, trees down, flooding and some lost power etc for a day. We are NW of Mackay and were without power for nearly a week but have a generator. No phones or internet for a week. We had 1000mm (40 inches) of rain so all our roads out here were flooded. We had a couple of trees blown over but come through it pretty well considering.