Private guide for the Amalfi Coast

vandco

Assume you mean to include transportation. ..

Assume you know a driver is not a guide under Italian law, unless the person has both licenses. But a driver can still impart tons of info. They just won't accompany you into any sights.

Check the huge thread on the Rome in Limo just down the board.

We used Domenico from Private Tour in Italy. He specializes in the Amalfi Coast. He also took us to a fabulous restaurant for lunch high atop Positano overlooking the Amalfi Coast. I have referred numerous people to him and in fact my Son and future daughter-in-law will be using him in a couple of weeks!

http://www.privatetourinitaly.com

Assume you mean to include transportation. ..

Assume you know a driver is not a guide under Italian law, unless the person has both licenses. But a driver can still impart tons of info. They just won't accompany you into any sights.

This is true but probably not very important when you're talking about the Amalfi Coast, where the sights are truly that, visual wonders, rather than historic sites.

This is true but probably not very important when you're talking about the Amalfi Coast, where the sights are truly that, visual wonders, rather than historic sites.

I agree. That is why I said the driver can impart tons of info,,which might be quite satisfactory for the situation.

We used Mariano from pleasant travel dot com. Looked at what Royal Caribbean offered for tours and asked him to combine two of them. He took us to Pompeii where he got us a wonderful guide to take us through the ruins. We then went to Positano, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast then to his own farmhouse for a homemade lunch of wine, sausages, cheese, bread etc. We took a tour of his farm and found out how they make their own olive oil. He is so knowledgable about the area and very personable. What a memorable day.

For the first time EVER , Cruise Mom isn't completely correct!;)..we loved SimplyAmalfi for our naples portstop but had a less than good experience with Sicily Life the very next day.

To be fair, I did say "most"....not "all"! :p

Edited by cruisemom42

We have used "Lovely Amalfi Coast Tours", not once, but twice! the first time we used them we did Positano, Sorrento, Ravello, etc. from the port of Salerno and had as our driver/guide, "Enrico".

We were so impressed that when we returned to the Port of Naples the following year, we hired them again, this time for a "Gastronomic Tour" of the Campania area (Sorrento, etc.). We had driver/guide, "Giovanni" and he was just as great.

Here is a YouTube that I just made from our trip with them in May 2016

Heather

Loved the video Heather. I recognized Giovanni from a tour I took with See Amalfi Coast a few years ago. It should be noted that many of the drivers work for more than one company and they all know each other.

I have toured with several companies in Italy over the years and have never had a bad tour, some just better than others. That being said, my absolute favorite is All Around Italy with the fabulous Fabrizio! I will be in Rome in less than two weeks and have an airport transfer and two tours booked with him. His other drivers are really good too.

Looking to book Amalfi Coast tour but can't decide which company to use between Lovely Amalfi and Pleasant travel. Both tours are similar and there is a €30 difference in price, would appreciate feedback as we've never travelled this area before

Looking to book Amalfi Coast tour but can't decide which company to use between Lovely Amalfi and Pleasant travel. Both tours are similar and there is a €30 difference in price, would appreciate feedback as we've never travelled this area before

We used Mariano from Pleasant travel in 2009 for a tour from Naples. His van was spacious and comfortable and Mariano was a pure joy to work with. Here's the description of what was included:

Ciao Sabino,

Thank you very much for this note. In regarding the ITINERARY-

everything can be planned so that you can spend more time at places

which are most important for you and it is possible to "Mix and match"

creating your personalized own tours. To start getting an idea take a

look at my examples of (TAILOR MADE TOUR)-

Our tour begins in Naples Cruis Port at "Dock" From here we will head

south along the motorway, the first to be built in Italy in 1949 under

the rule

of Mussolini. Along this route there is a magnificient view of Mount

Vesuvius

which you can view before arriving at the historical excavations of

Pompei.

Here the choice is yours, buy a map and visit the ruins at your leisure

or have

a guided tour with an expert and discover the magnificient secrets of this

lost city.There is also an audio tour, and you can hire headphones at the

entrance to the excavations. We then continue our journey along the

Sorrentine

coastline until we reach beautiful town of Sorrento where there is time

to take

some photos. From Sorrento we will drive along the world famous Amalfi

coastline, the road winds along to coast and the view is spectacular.

The next stop will be at the statue of The Madonna, which is perched on the

clifftop above the town of Positano which she protects.

We will also have time for an intriguing visit of this amazing town and to

admire the lovely ceramics and hand blown glass products which this area

is famous for, a coffee stop and some shopping, then onto Amalfi.

Amalfi is one of the four maritime republics of Italy, and here you can

visit the

famous St.Andrew's cathedral, St.Andrew is the Patron Saint of the town.

The church has beautiful bronze doors at it's entrance and a precious

altar.

From Amalfi we will drive up the panoramic road to Ravello which was a

popular holiday resort for Jackie Onasis. The town has amazing views

across the Gulf of Salerno, and from the gardens of the Villa Rufolo

you can take photos of some of the most breathtaking views of this

world famous coastline.

He also fit in a visit to his farm house where his wife prepared all kinds of homemade goodies for us. Always ask our tour guides to get us back to the ship at least an hour earlier than we need to and Mariano did not disappoint despite all the traffic. I would use him again in a heartbeat.

Whoever you decide to use you will have a wonderful time exploring the area.

Joan

For the first time EVER , Cruise Mom isn't completely correct!;)..we loved SimplyAmalfi for our naples portstop but had a less than good experience with Sicily Life the very next day.

=================================================

We are booked with SimplyAmalfi for our Naples - and Livorno - stops in November so I was happy to see this post. Thank you Clay.

I was very impressed with their website and with the good reviews on Trip Advisor.