Candles?

holomuku

We're doing a Caribbean trip late March. We're thinking about bringing citronella (anti mosquito) candles for our balcony. Does anyone know if Princess has an issue with candles on the balcony? I don't see them as a prohibited item on the website, but they also use the disclaimer that other items can be refused. I watched a video of the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and it didn't really look like a "real" candle was being used. Does anyone have experience with this? Thank you in advance.

We're doing a Caribbean trip late March. We're thinking about bringing citronella (anti mosquito) candles for our balcony. Does anyone know if Princess has an issue with candles on the balcony? I don't see them as a prohibited item on the website, but they also use the disclaimer that other items can be refused. I watched a video of the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and it didn't really look like a "real" candle was being used. Does anyone have experience with this? Thank you in advance.

No open flames allowed anywhere.. Except I guess designated smoking areas..

Edited by Kenswing

Good to know- and makes sense when you think about it. I've never heard of the wrist bands- any additional information would be appreciated.

Kind of strange they don't include them in the "banned items" list. Maybe they did and I missed it.

Also, when living in Hawaii I used "coils" to combat mosquitoes. Does anyone know if these are allowed? I'm guessing not as you have to light them with a lighter or match......just trying to beat those buggers at their own game! Thank you in advance.

While the ship is moving, the chances of mosquitoes or bugs are between slim and none. I've taken over 50 cruises and have never, ever been bitten by a bug on a cruise ship... and I don't use insect repellent. That includes several cruises on the Amazon and a lot of Panama Canal cruises.

It is odd that the list of prohibited items in the FAQs does not include candles specficially or even 'any item with an open flame' in general.

Equally odd is that the Passage Contract (sec. 13, para. 1) refers you back to the FAQs for (emphasis mine) "a complete list of banned items" when there are innumerable other hazardous items either you or Princess might not think of in advance but will be confiscated if found.

Edited by fishywood

To the OP -

Have you ever cruised before?

As Pam mentioned in her post, the possibility of a fire on a ship is extremely concerning and to be avoided at all costs.

I think that you are aware that there is no smoking allowed on the balconies on Princess ships.

Why would a burning candle be allowed on the balconies?

Passengers are reminded not to throw cigarette or cigar buts over the rail into the sea because the buts cold be taken back into the ship ,resulting in a possible fire.

As recommended,if you are concerned about mosquito or other insects biting you, use DEET,the repellent wrist bands,wear long sleeves and long pants while in port ,avoid early morning or evening times in port and be mindful of the advice given for personal protection from such insects.

Finally,a thought, perhaps citronella candles are not listed as items prohibited on a Princess cruise because no one in authority anticipated any passenger to consider bringing such an item on board.

MJSailors-

Yes, we have cruised before-- on Windstar (4 X), Azamara (2x), Celebrity (9 X), RCL (3X) and a one or two on Costa, Holland America, NCL, Princess, and two river cruises.

So, yes, we have cruised before. I asked the question because of the current concern for mosquito issues in the Caribbean- not an issue we've had before. We've been vaccinated for several diseases since we've been to Egypt as well as South America several times. However I don't believe any of the vaccinations will protect us from Zika. This is a chance we have to take- please, I was just asking a question that is NOT addressed in the Princess website.

Do they not have irons in the laundry rooms? I've never used a laundry room on a ship before but I would guess that Princess, having laundry rooms, has irons in them. Aren't those a potential source of fire? I do know some ships do not allow any kind of iron, including "travel irons" on their ships. If Princess allows these, then it seems they are a bit inconsistent.

quote: Finally,a thought, perhaps citronella candles are not listed as items prohibited on a Princess cruise because no one in authority anticipated any passenger to consider bringing such an item on board.

Seriously? And no one has ever thought of bringing a knife longer than 7 inches on board? Please don't insult my intelligence or experience. I was just asking what I thought was a valid question. I spent 28 years working in the airline industry and believe me- nothing is beyond what some people think is "okay" to bring on an airplane, and I would assume the same for cruise ships.

Edited by holomuku

MJSailors-

Do they not have irons in the laundry rooms? I've never used a laundry room on a ship before but I would guess that Princess, having laundry rooms, has irons in them. Aren't those a potential source of fire? I do know some ships do not allow any kind of iron, including "travel irons" on their ships. If Princess allows these, then it seems they are a bit inconsistent.

Laundry room irons have instructions and are situated so it would be an unlikely issue that a fire would happen. Princess does not allow "travel irons" on board. Irrespective of this "iron" issue, it still pales in comparison to the dangers that an "open flame" situation presents.

Just sayin'.

Edited by ar1950

Laundry room irons have instructions and are situated so it would be an unlikely issue that a fire would happen. Princess does not allow "travel irons" on board. Irrespective of this "iron" issue, it still pales in comparison to the dangers that an "open flame" situation presents.

Just sayin'.

In addition, the irons are on timers so that they automatically switch off.

The whole idea of having candles burning on a balcony while the ship is moving is ridiculous, you have a 20mph wind from the ships motion, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know what that does to a candle flame, quite apart from it dispersing any insecticide instantly to your neighbors balconies aft of yours.

Having said that the mosquitos that carry Zika are daytime ones when the ship will likely be stationary and close to land, but open flames of any kind are such a bad idea at sea, fire is the greatest danger.

High percentage Deet is the answer, or a similar product, I dab it on exposed area and also clothing and hair.

I was just on Ocean Princess in Central and South America and never had a bite. Maybe lucky but more likely Deet.

I would expect there to be more mosquitos inland on a tour where there is standing water breeding places than by the ocean where the ship is docked

It is odd that the list of prohibited items in the FAQs does not include candles specficially or even 'any item with an open flame' in general.

Equally odd is that the Passage Contract (sec. 13, para. 1) refers you back to the FAQs for (emphasis mine) "a complete list of banned items" when there are innumerable other hazardous items either you or Princess might not think of in advance but will be confiscated if found.

Probably because candles aren't prohibited, but lighting them is.

Ie it's fine to take candles bring home from a port but open flame is prohibited so you can't light them.

In addition, the irons are on timers so that they automatically switch off.

And they are surrounded by "A-60" fire bulkheads that will not transmit fire for a minimum of 60 minutes, while these fire bulkheads only exist between blocks of cabins at the 5-6 fire zones on the ship (where the fire doors fold or slide into the wall). So a fire in a laundry would be contained to the laundry while the fire alarm went off, while a fire in a cabin or balcony could jump to several before fire response got there.

During muster drill their description of prohibiting open or "naked flames" is the only time I've heard that phrase...could that be a British description? :p

Anyone who has gone to a Princess muster drill would know that any type of flame is prohibited.

Edited by Astro Flyer

What?

A: Common sense would dictate that an open flame at sea could be disastrous

B: Too windy while at sea anyway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

MJSailors-

Yes, we have cruised before-- on Windstar (4 X), Azamara (2x), Celebrity (9 X), RCL (3X) and a one or two on Costa, Holland America, NCL, Princess, and two river cruises.

So, yes, we have cruised before. I asked the question because of the current concern for mosquito issues in the Caribbean- not an issue we've had before. We've been vaccinated for several diseases since we've been to Egypt as well as South America several times. However I don't believe any of the vaccinations will protect us from Zika. This is a chance we have to take- please, I was just asking a question that is NOT addressed in the Princess website.

quote: Finally,a thought, perhaps citronella candles are not listed as items prohibited on a Princess cruise because no one in authority anticipated any passenger to consider bringing such an item on board.

Seriously? And no one has ever thought of bringing a knife longer than 7 inches on board? Please don't insult my intelligence or experience. I was just asking what I thought was a valid question. I spent 28 years working in the airline industry and believe me- nothing is beyond what some people think is "okay" to bring on an airplane, and I would assume the same for cruise ships."

Big difference is :

Open flame. Cruise ship. Rocky ship. Candle falls off, ignites curtains, cruise ship go bye-bye

Iron in laundry room. cruise ship. Rocky ship. Iron falls

Nothing happens except need to replace iron

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

Just google:

candles site colin princess.com

Use an actual colin, rather than the word.

I had to write it like this to prevent cc from displaying it as a smiley,

and I'm too lazy to figure out the html escape to make it work.

I'll remember that! I always thought a Google search would pull up more "junk" than using the Princess site or Cruise Critic. I apparantly need to learn how to Google.