Sea sickness, best remedy, precaution etc...

MrLoLoLo

My husband and I like the sea bands. He uses the plain gray ones available at most pharmacies. I went online to Etsy and found something called Queasy Beads. They look like a pretty beaded bracelet, available in many colors, and look much nicer when you're dressed up!

They cost more than the standard sea bands, but look so much better! They are custom made...when you order, you will be required to measure your wrists at the optimal accupressure point.

If she is truly pre-disposed to motion sickness, start taking whatever preventative a day BEFORE you start sailing...and continue for at least a day after the cruise. Meclazine or Bonine...something along those lines, is VERY effective.

This is the best advice. Any remedy should be started BEFORE you experience the symptoms. I actually start taking 2 Bonine pills at bedtime for at least 2 nights prior to getting on the ship. It has worked every time for me. Of course, with any over-the-counter medication, you should consult your doctor.

This is the best advice. Any remedy should be started BEFORE you experience the symptoms. I actually start taking 2 Bonine pills at bedtime for at least 2 nights prior to getting on the ship. It has worked every time for me. Of course, with any over-the-counter medication, you should consult your doctor.

Ginger doesn't need to be started in advance. Can only speak for myself, but if ginger isn't working within 10 minutes, nothing is staying down, including Bonine.

Yeh think will ask GP, but as said start the day before, first day is at sea as well so I'm worried for her that way.

We have a mid cabin on deck 8, hopefully that's ok.

You can start it before you board, even while still home.

I have a related question - I'm not a big drinker but I do enjoy having a glass of wine with dinner. Can I still do that if I'm taking anti nausea pills?

I was travelling last weekend and I've been unwell with a mild stomach virus and winter cold. The combination made me get carsick! I took some pills and they knocked me out for over 24 hours. I know what I won't be taking on my cruise!! I won't ever be taking them again.

I have a related question - I'm not a big drinker but I do enjoy having a glass of wine with dinner. Can I still do that if I'm taking anti nausea pills?

I was travelling last weekend and I've been unwell with a mild stomach virus and winter cold. The combination made me get carsick! I took some pills and they knocked me out for over 24 hours. I know what I won't be taking on my cruise!! I won't ever be taking them again.

Everyone responds differently to both medicines and alcohol. On the whole, alcohol tends to potentiate the side effects of the drugs, especially drowsiness. Many anti-sickness drugs will carry warnings about alcohol, if you really want further information you should speak to your GP.

On a personal level, I take a shedload of meds and still drink alcohol, even after morphine or the anti-sickness patch. I have my GP's blessing for this and don't drive afterwards but certainly don't experience and severe problems.

As an aside, I would rather sleep for 24 hours than vomit for that period of time!

Oh yeah, don't take advice from a chat board. Consult your local fisherman first.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

drinking a lot [emoji106]. The route I will take!! Will Jamison work as well as beer?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Start out slow and go from there!!

I have never had a problem with drinking while taking Bonine, and I have more than just that one drink with dinner for sure. Actually, I seem to feel better if we hit the bar for a drink (usually a martini or a glass of wine) as soon as possible after boarding the ship.

I take Bonine before bedtime. It helps me sleep better (as I usually don't the first night in a strange bed), and I don't feel any drowsiness during the day.

• 2 months later...

Heya! My mum always says that I could get seasick stepping over a puddle.. but I'm generally okay on cruise ships! If you want too you can check out my post here https://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/18/do-you-get-seasick-on-a-cruise/ where I give some tips on what I do to avoid the seasickness.

Nothing is worse than being poorly on holiday!!!

Have a fabulous time :)

Meclizine is anti-nausea which you can get over the counter in the UK.

Candied Ginger, ginger pills, ginger capsules, ginger ale, ginger beer all combat nausea.

Look on board in the buffet for green apples they will help as well.

Get outside on deck and look at the horizon-- walk walk walk in the fresh air.

This is an excellent list. The only thing I would add are saltine crackers. There are usually some in the buffet.