Transfers from Rome Airport to Port Civitavecchia.

Princeton18

Does anyone know how I can arrange transfers from the Rome Airport to the Port Civitavecchia to board the Holland American Line to cruise the Mediterranean?I have booked a Mediterranean Cruise for May 2013 and after I booked, I learned the airport is about 45-50 minutes to the Port. What if I want to spend a day or so in Rome before the cruise begins. What arrangements could I make to get to Rome to the hotel, and then from the hotel to the port. I'm in my mid sixties and it is difficult to take long walks with luggage. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Come over to the Italy board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

for all the info you will need.

If you are traveling as a single, you lose the true cost benefits of many of the options, as the best deal will be for 2 or 4. But you will see a taxi is very good from the airport into Rome. Train is good for both (airport to Rome, and Rome to port) but if dragging bags is a problem, this may not work for you.

Most importantly, if you haven't been to Rome, you got to spend a night or two there.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I agree with all that CruiserBruce has said.

Just so you know, airport to Rome is about 45 minutes. Could vary somewhat based on traffic. From airport to the port about 45 minutes as well. It can be around 90 minutes from Rome to the port. Again, traffic plays into all of these times.

We use a private service called Rome Cabs. They are not a taxi cab company but provide either just private vehicles for transfers or tours. They are one of the ones that is often recommended on the Italy Ports of Call Board for Rome but there are certainly other options as well.

Their web site is http://www.romecabs.com

Keith

Also be aware that it will not be cheap. Car service from the airport to the city is 100 Euros or more. From the city or airport to Civitavecchia is 130 Euros or more. If you take a taxi it will be even more.

Last time I looked the fixed rate for taxi airport to city was 48 euros.

The fixed fare for a taxi from the airport (FCO) into the city of Rome is 48 Euro, inclusive of all extra charges except a tip. There is a monitored taxi line at the airport so it's easy to do, or you can use this rate as a comparison when you check into car services. It may be worth a few extra Euro to a car service company to have someone meet you just outside of customs rather than walking to the taxi line (quite close) and potentially waiting a few minutes on line.

You can see the taxi information on the city of Rome's web site here (page two is in English): http://www.comune.roma.it/PCR/resources/cms/documents/tariffario_taxi_luglio_2012.pdf

I suspect that Paul's comment about a taxi being even more related to the fare from downtown Rome to Civitavecchia. This fare is not fixed and could be more, there's no way to tell for sure.

The only fare to Civitavecchia that is fixed is between the airport (FCO) and the port, which is 120 Euro.

Edited by euro cruiser

Also be aware that it will not be cheap. Car service from the airport to the city is 100 Euros or more. From the city or airport to Civitavecchia is 130 Euros or more. If you take a taxi it will be even more.

Actually car service from airport to Rome is 50-70 euros. If you are talking airport to Civi, that is a different subject.

Have you considered looking into booking a hotel night or two in Rome through your cruise line? The price for that should also include your transportation from the airport to the hotel and then the hotel to the port. Sometimes that sort of arrangement is advantgeous when traveling solo, even though it is rather pricey.

I'm in my 70s and have done this when taking solo cruises in Europe, and for me, it has been worth the price for both my level of comfort and for the convenience.

Does anyone know how I can arrange transfers from the Rome Airport to the Port Civitavecchia to board the Holland American Line to cruise the Mediterranean?I have booked a Mediterranean Cruise for May 2013 and after I booked, I learned the airport is about 45-50 minutes to the Port. What if I want to spend a day or so in Rome before the cruise begins. What arrangements could I make to get to Rome to the hotel, and then from the hotel to the port. I'm in my mid sixties and it is difficult to take long walks with luggage. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Google BOB'S LIMO ROME ,have used them many times and the cost was 80 euros for a shared shuttle van from Rome to the port for two of us, they will pick you up at the hotel, load your luggage, and drop you off at the gangway area of your ship. They will also do the same taking you from FCO to your hotel in Rome. happy cruising.

Have you considered looking into booking a hotel night or two in Rome through your cruise line? The price for that should also include your transportation from the airport to the hotel and then the hotel to the port. Sometimes that sort of arrangement is advantgeous when traveling solo, even though it is rather pricey.

When exploring this option be sure to check out the hotel location before committing. Most of the posts I've read on the Italy board from folks who have gone with a pre- or post-cruise package through the line wind up in hotels that are not particularly well situated for touring.

Edited by euro cruiser

Be sure to go to your Roll Call and post the same question as well as asking if anyone has similar travel plans.

We did the reverse from the port to FCO and shared the shuttle with another CC member. I can't recall the cost but it was less than $50 each.

Also, depending on how comfortable you are traveling in Europe, you may want to check and see what HAL offers. You pay a bit more but if it helps relieve the stress it may be worth looking at this option.

We used the ship transfer after spending a few nights on our own in Rome. The good news there was that there was a strike / holiday and it took us over 2 hours to get to the ship. Being on the Princess bus gave us all peace of mind. Took at taxi from our hotel to the ship's collection hotel. And that was great too as they had refreshments in the waiting area for the passengers. You gotta be in Rome at least 2 days... Plus one to recover from the trip over... Money well spent.

We have used romecabs but the last couple of times they were booked up. For the same price clickairporttransfer offered great service both from airport to city as well as from city to the port.

Edited by 3ssn

We stayed in Rome for two-and-a-half days before going to the ship. We used Bob's Limos, as has been suggested, but I had put it out on the Roll Call for our cruise, and we had six others join us for the trip to the port -- it cut the cost down substantially, though having so many pickup points even on a Sunday made for some delays in getting on the way.

If you have an active roll call, start checking where others are staying. We have done that a couple of times, and connected with others staying in the same neighborhood -- say Termini - we shared a van for 8 both times - costing about 60 euro a couple for a very comfortable ride from Rome to the pier - right next to the ship. We used Romeinlimo , but there are a number of good services.

• 2 years later...

Hello all,

We will be arriving in ex Holland America Koningsdam into Civitavecchaia on the 27th of April 2016.We have booked a Shared Shuttle for 0800 to get an early flight from FCO airport.

Come join us to bring ours and your transfer costs down.

Details are below;

http://www.sharedshuttle.it

info@sharedshuttle.it

reservation is WN8IUWSY

To: Roma Fiumicino

Type: Shuttle

Passengers number: 2

Transfer date and time: 2016-04-27 08:00

Cheers,

Nick

Hello all,

We will be arriving in ex Holland America Koningsdam into Civitavecchaia on the 27th of April 2016.We have booked a Shared Shuttle for 0800 to get an early flight from FCO airport.

Come join us to bring ours and your transfer costs down.

Details are below;

http://www.sharedshuttle.it

info@sharedshuttle.it

reservation is WN8IUWSY

To: Roma Fiumicino

Type: Shuttle

Passengers number: 2

Transfer date and time: 2016-04-27 08:00

Cheers,

Nick

Welcome to Cruise Critic Nick!

You need to post sharing requests in your Roll Call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2133329

The Roll Call is where the folks on your cruise are conversing.

We've used Bob's Limos several times with good results. (They don't use just limos). Last time we went from the airport to Citavecchio for about $80 and were the only ones in the car. Coming back, we had a shared ride that cost about $29pp with them.

Try your roll call to see if anyone wants to share rides.

If you have selected a decent hotel, the concierge can arrange for your airport pickup on arrival and transfer to the cruise port on embarkation day (please don't tell us that you will only spend a single half or one full day if it is your first visit to the Eternal City- that would be a monumental waste of airfare). That concierge will get you a far better rate that transfers you'll find on the internet.

• 1 year later...

Just this passed April we used Bob's Limo. The driver were on time to pick us up the airport. Since we arrived in Rome early and didn't have to be at the cruise port till early evening, our driver, Enzo took us on a three hours tour of all the must see sights of Rome. After the tour he drove us to the cruise port. We were very pleased with the service provided. We were unable to fly in the day before the cruise . So this was the perfect solution for us. The sedan was clean . The price was very reasonible. Pick up at airport, 3 hour tour, drove to cruise port for two people with ten percent discount cause we paid in Euro. The cost to us Euro 266. You can google them and ask what the cost is for shared shuttle bus. Have a great time on your upcoming cruise. DH and I loved every moment of our cruise. By the way, we arrived in Rome on Sunday morning around 7am. There were no traffic either Rome nor our drive to the cruise ship