Spring Break Doom?

cwalksss

Hi! Two years ago I cruised with some friends on Royal's Liberty of the Seas. Unknown to us, it was UF's Spring Break and there were literally 1,000 college-aged spring breakers on board. The ship ran out of bar supplies because they couldn't keep up with the students and their drinking. It stressed the staff out and everyone was rude the whole week. There was no such thing as deck service either, because they barely had enough alcohol on board to fuel the kids and/or they were too slammed at the bar to even have a second to walk around and take drink orders. It was not unusual to wait at the bar for 15-20 minutes to get a drink.

THAT being said... how is NCL around spring break? Unfortunately, it is the only week that my friends and I can go together. We're in our late 20s-early 30s and are looking to have a relaxing week with some great drinks, fun stops and just spend time together. The sailing we are looking at is NCL Escape for 7 days on February 25th.

Do any of you have experience with this sailing or sailing NCL around this time? I know it is UFs spring break, but I am wondering if they migrate towards shorter sailings on lines like Carnival and Royal. Let me know your thoughts!

Thank you!

55e10520d86c7bb0ae8afaf96507c466.jpg

My first cruise on NCL a number of years ago was on the Pearl during Spring Break... was taking my wife on a cruise for our anniversary and never even thought about Spring Break until we were aboard...

Bad news: forget about getting near the pool unless your into 1500 coeds packed in there

Good news : the specialty restaurants and shows were probably less crowded than usual ( but not the bars and clubs)

In retrospect I personally wouldn't book again during spring break if a relaxing cruise is the goal... but if a wild scene by the pool is what your looking for than go for it.

Great link for spring break info. I am booked on the Feb 25th sailing on the Epic. Hopefully it will be peaceful.

Other options are to be in line at 8 am and one of the first to board and try for a VIBE pass or get the spa pass. Both will offer limited crowds.

I have been on two NCLs so far and have gotten the VIBE passes. I am not planning that for this cruise so fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It looks like UF Spring Break is the following week, though you don't know about other universities. You might try a different itinerary, i.e., Mexican Riviera. We were on the Star Mexican Riviera last year the first week of April, Spring Break for many school systems. Half the ship were kids ages 3-18. I can't say I noticed any college age kids or heavy drinkers.

Hi! Two years ago I cruised with some friends on Royal's Liberty of the Seas. Unknown to us, it was UF's Spring Break and there were literally 1,000 college-aged spring breakers on board. The ship ran out of bar supplies because they couldn't keep up with the students and their drinking. It stressed the staff out and everyone was rude the whole week. There was no such thing as deck service either, because they barely had enough alcohol on board to fuel the kids and/or they were too slammed at the bar to even have a second to walk around and take drink orders. It was not unusual to wait at the bar for 15-20 minutes to get a drink.

THAT being said... how is NCL around spring break? Unfortunately, it is the only week that my friends and I can go together. We're in our late 20s-early 30s and are looking to have a relaxing week with some great drinks, fun stops and just spend time together. The sailing we are looking at is NCL Escape for 7 days on February 25th.

Do any of you have experience with this sailing or sailing NCL around this time? I know it is UFs spring break, but I am wondering if they migrate towards shorter sailings on lines like Carnival and Royal. Let me know your thoughts!

Thank you!

I sail spring break every year and have never had issues like you describe.

I sail spring break every year and have never had issues like you describe.

I cruise spring break every year.

There always are a couple of schools on board. It has been great. I am in my 40s and I was not bothered at all the pool area may be busy but at least you don't have to look at all the huge buffet folks like on my fall cruise.

Busiest spring break time is from the second week of March to the second week of April most of the old folks on here never cruise these weeks or the holidays cause they will not pay the prices and they don't like kids spoiling there time

Our last two cruises were on NCL during Spring Break. With passengers coming from all over the country and world, "Spring Break" for anyone can really occur anywhere from mid-February to mid-April. For our March sailings I can't say I noticed that many college kids. Ours were mostly lots of kids 18 and under (including mine!)

College kids are poor and cheap, so they'll pick the cheapest cruise that leaves from a drive-able port. It's not only the Florida colleges you have to worry about, but also AL, GA, SC, NC, TN - any state within a reasonable driving distance. I would steer clear of the first 3 weeks in March, as that is when most college spring breaks are. If you have to cruise during those weeks and definitely don't want to be among the college spring breakers, don't pick the cheapest cruise for that week - because that's where they'll be.

The good news is, the college kids will be in the cheapest inside cabins in the bowels of the ship, and likely won't be up until at least noon each day - and can't afford any of the excursions - so you'll get some breaks from them.

• 4 months later...
55e10520d86c7bb0ae8afaf96507c466.jpg

My first cruise on NCL a number of years ago was on the Pearl during Spring Break... was taking my wife on a cruise for our anniversary and never even thought about Spring Break until we were aboard...

Bad news: forget about getting near the pool unless your into 1500 coeds packed in there

Good news : the specialty restaurants and shows were probably less crowded than usual ( but not the bars and clubs)

In retrospect I personally wouldn't book again during spring break if a relaxing cruise is the goal... but if a wild scene by the pool is what your looking for than go for it.

You think that is a crowded pool deck?

Obviously, you have not been on the Escape, Getaway or Breakaway during a normal week.

You think that is a crowded pool deck?

Obviously, you have not been on the Escape, Getaway or Breakaway during a normal week.

We were on a 10 day in January and the pool deck looked about the same as the picture you're commenting on.

We were on a 10 day in January and the pool deck looked about the same as the picture you're commenting on.

On what ship...the Pearl?

A ship has the same number of cabins in March as it does in January or October so a ship cannot be more crowded one week or month over another. However, it can be more crowded around the pool deck since "youts" tend to spend more time there than the old geezers, but I don't see how it can get any more crowded on the Escape, Getaway or Breakaway. The pool decks already look like crowded refugee camps with everyone jammed in hip to hip and shoulder to shoulder.

On what ship...the Pearl?

A ship has the same number of cabins in March as it does in January or October so a ship cannot be more crowded one week or month over another.

This is ridiculous. The first time I sailed on Escape, it was at 66% capacity. The 2nd sailing was near 100%. Same amount of cabins on both cruises, but I'll give you one guess which cruise was more crowded.

We are planning March 12, 2018. NCL Jade, 11 days, partial transit Panama Canal, out of Miami. Can I get comments about Spring break problems, and comments about this cruise

Between 11 days and the Panama Canal I don't think you'll have spring breakers. Anything over 7 days should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is ridiculous. The first time I sailed on Escape, it was at 66% capacity. The 2nd sailing was near 100%. Same amount of cabins on both cruises, but I'll give you one guess which cruise was more crowded.

The vast majority of cruises the ships are at or near 100% occupancy. Let me guess, though, it was September, October or November the first time you sailed on the Espcape?

Edit...Oh...It was a transatlantic in October. Well of course it wasn't at full capacity. TAs rarely are.

Thank you!

Just come off Epic 18/25 March. We had a ball with the "spring breakers" 450 or so from Clemson around 650 in total. Around 4,500 total passengers.

Plenty alcohol for everyone. No rudeness, no fights, no aggro, no queues. We got chatting to two from Clemson the second night and as the week progressed we got introduced to more & more "brothers" & "sisters"

Some passengers weren't happy but we had no hassle and whatever the lads got up to they did it with their tops off! So as two older gay guys (50/41) we were very happy! :hearteyes:

If two middle aged guys can have fun with them then two younger folk should have no problem......go with an open mind it's only a week!

SPRING BREAK!!