Sorta Urgent Alaska Cruisetour Advice Needed

MsSoCalCruiser

I know, I know, I've been asking a lot of questions lately but I have a few more. I have been blessed with many different groups of wonderful friends and it is so much fun to be together (So much so that we may need to give up our LA to Alaska cruise) :hearteyes:

This group is wanting to go on an Alaskan cruise. Some will be doing a cruisetour and others will be doing the cruise portion only. We will be together today and we are going to discuss which cruise and once again I need to ask the experts for advice (my friends always tell me to ask my cruise people). They are all wanting answers to the questions below but my only personal requirement is the IC (Yup, i'm hooked on the salads, ok and the cookies too, lol). Thank you, all!

1) Which do you prefer doing first and WHY. The cruise portion or the land portion?

2) Which lodges / areas do you prefer and WHY?

3) How many days do you feel you need for the land portion and WHY?

4) What month would you suggest and WHY?

Land first, cruise second. The land can be exhausting and you pack and unpack every day or every other day. Then you can board the ship, unpack and relax the rest of the trip.

Going to kind of combine 2 and 3. We maximized our time on the land. Figured we'd do it only once and wanted to take advantage of as much as we could. Plus, I wanted to get to the Copper River and Wrangell Elias NP.

That said, I must admit time in Fairbanks wasn't exciting. And while we were extremely lucky and had absolutely marvelous weather during the cross-state trip from Denali to Copper River, most people aren't so lucky and it is a long trip and could get boring if you don't have beautiful scenery to admire the whole way.

So given a choice to do it again, I would max my time at Denali and south.

As for when we did it in May. (We had previously taken a cruise-only in May. Price was the reason). The problem with May is that the road wasn't open all the way in Denali. If you do it in September, an early snowfall could close the roads. If I was to do it again, I'd do it in early June.

Land first, cruise second. The land can be exhausting and you pack and unpack every day or every other day. Then you can board the ship, unpack and relax the rest of the trip.

Going to kind of combine 2 and 3. We maximized our time on the land. Figured we'd do it only once and wanted to take advantage of as much as we could. Plus, I wanted to get to the Copper River and Wrangell Elias NP.

That said, I must admit time in Fairbanks wasn't exciting. And while we were extremely lucky and had absolutely marvelous weather during the cross-state trip from Denali to Copper River, most people aren't so lucky and it is a long trip and could get boring if you don't have beautiful scenery to admire the whole way.

So given a choice to do it again, I would max my time at Denali and south.

As for when we did it in May. (We had previously taken a cruise-only in May. Price was the reason). The problem with May is that the road wasn't open all the way in Denali. If you do it in September, an early snowfall could close the roads. If I was to do it again, I'd do it in early June.

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell me all of this. We really appreciate it.

Like others have said, land first, then cruise. We liked the Denali and Copper River lodges because of the scenery at Copper River and the nearness of Denali Park to the Denali lodge. I would say Fairbanks is our least favorite; we've been twice and did the same Riverboat cruise and gold dredge both times. We've said if we go again, we'll just skip those and explore Fairbanks for the day. I would think a 6 or 7 day land portion would be sufficient.

1) Which do you prefer doing first and WHY. The cruise portion or the land portion?

2) Which lodges / areas do you prefer and WHY?

3) How many days do you feel you need for the land portion and WHY?

4) What month would you suggest and WHY?

I'd recommend doing the land portion first and then sailing from Whittier to Vancouver for a couple of reasons. First, you get the longer flight over with first. Second, you get the more strenuous days over with first.

I'd strongly recommend taking an extra day before starting the land portion. When you fly up to Whittier, you'll be off very early the next morning and that can be tiring if you've spent the previous day flying.

Unfortunately, the cruises south are more expensive than sailing north but I think it's worth it.

Definitely do whatever land tour includes two days at Denali.

I'd do at least four days' land tour plus the extra day in Fairbanks. Distances are huge and you'll spend a lot of time traveling from one lodge to another. You need the days just to be able to see things and not spend all your time traveling.

I'd do early August. That's when we did it. The weather was terrific, ranging from warm to even hot (80's) in Anchorage.

Totally agree land first. Also agree Fairbanks underwhelming. That said we went a day early and went to the Museum of the North that was fantastic. If you had the time. No Starks seen (for my fellow geeks).

BUT word of warning we had two nights in Denali then one night at McKinley lodge. The timing got us there in the late afternoon which left just enough time to get to room/eat dinner/sleep and go. Not enough time by far. If you're going make sure you get a day there to explore the grounds maybe do an excursion.

Lastly Copper River was great. Kenai cruise wonderful. And make sure you trade in the tour of Denali from whichever Princess gives you (a 4 hour tour) to a longer one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruise first, then land. Scenery gets better going north. Done that twice. For your, stay onboard and sail back to Vancouver. Or you can sail up the week the others take the land excursion and meet them onboard sailing back. You will get to see Glacier Bay twice (amazing the change we saw in four days last fall) and Hubbard Glacier (nine miles across) coming south.

By the way, asking a Princess question on the Alaska board doesn't make any sense to me unless you are thinking of doing a different cruise line. If so, remember some lines can't sail into Glacier Bay.

I'm also in the Land first camp.. Gives you the chance to relax after the more active land schedule and settle in.

As far as time, make sure you have one full day at Denali so you can do the deeper Tundra Wilderness Tour. I would also suggest maximizing train segments over bus if you can (its just more comfortable)

Did the cruisetour last May. Did not follow advice and cruised first then land. The cruise was very relaxing but then we did a 9 hour trainride to Denali Lodge. Was way to long of a sit with no real place to move. Took the longer Denali tour and it was great. Then a 3.5 hour train trip to Mt McKinley lodge and again it was tiring to sit for that long. Not much to do at McKinley lodge except a bus ride to Talketna. After looking around there it was a trip to Anchorage for one night then a plane ride to the East Coast. Should have done the tour portion first so we could have rested on the ship for 7 days prior to the finally flight home. Do the tour first.

I am inexperienced but weighing in here. We have our first Alaska trip coming up in 3 weeks! I have been on this board plus Princess board as well as Trip Advisor and Princess roll calls since December.Lots of trip reviews and advice available. We are doing land first as suggested and then a SB cruise. What I discovered in reading reviews and posts is that for us a DIY land tour was the way to go. I did not want to be on buses hearded from one point to the next. In addition once I read about the various lodges and activities I realized that was not what I wanted to do. I realize you are in a group so "taking the Tour" would be easier, but I encourage you to look at the area, see what you and your friends want to do, then decide if a tour would work. Enjoy your excursion!

this will be land/cruise tour number 5 for us this summer and we have done both options cruise/land and land/cruise. There are pluses and minuses to both but both options have worked well for us- so I go off of which matches what I want to do and price that I want. our cruise & land tour excursions are about even with activity level, etc.

after the first cruise/tour we learned easily how to pack appropriately for the land portion- so the packing and unpacking issue is not a big deal for us. I have ziplock bags of clothes for the kids each day and we simply don't unpack. We have items we need for each of our excursions on land in one bag- snacks- rain gear- etc and daily clothes in another.

we have done DIY once but we typically book last minute and cruise/tours are nearly free or definitely less than booking on our own. One cruise tour we booked last minute was $499 more for 1st & 2nd pass and no additional charge for 3rd & 4th. for 6 nights . Again- only choosing the options of destinations for the land that is where we want to go- I won't waste my precious vacation days going to destinations I don't want to just because cheaper.

Pay attention to travel times and make sure you can do the excursions you want to do in the timeframes available- Denali 2 night minimum. I need at least 1.5 days in Denali which means 2 night minimum.

we have loved out Fairbanks excursions.

China Hot Springs, Ice Museum, Dog Sled ride, Horse back ride. Then Pioneer Park, North Pole, Museum of the North. Visited a reindeer farm. Gold dredge and riverboat are a little old for me after 4 times but the kids still love it so we have gone every time and I think we will once again go next month! I tried to skip the North Pole last visit but the kids said we had to go.

I persoanlly have felt like some of our land excursions are more relaxing than the cruise. 3 port days in a row is a lot and we always have so much we want to do in each of the ports.

Sea days have so much wildlife to view and its getting up early many of the days. _ i.e. morning of Glacier Bay, etc- we would go to dinner and talk about what we had done for the day and passengers at our table hadn't seen much of what we had. So everyone has a different perspective of " cruise first land second or land first and cruise second and which one is more relaxing, etc- it all depends on how you plan it and what your goals are.

either way- we do laundry on day 6 of the cruise (or send it out) for cruise vs land second or we turn in our laundry on day 1 of the cruise if land tour first.

definitely agree with other regarding refunding princess tour in Denali or upgrading. We have booked bus to wonder lake.

Opted for Alaska toursaver app vs coupon book this summer I am hoping it works out easily

what lodges- we have stayed in princess and Holland lodging- Aleyeska was nice. probably preferred princess to Holland in Denali This summer will be first time at Princess- Kenai & Copper River .

I didn't care for Talkeetna- too long of a bus ride from town- not much to do near hotel. Views were beautiful form lodge at Princess McKinley but not worth staying there. That was our first land tour and we haven't been back since in past 10 years.

how many nights? we have done 5-8 nights- five felt too short. I prefer 2 nights at each location- except aleyeska was fine one night since we got off ship and had the majority of the day and then only one night.

I recommend taking the train as much as possible if first trip- we really enjoyed it- we have also enjoyed the bus and different views but train I prefer more .

what month- we have been on a Alaska cruise in may, June, July, august. (never September)

we have enjoyed the weather, scenery and cruise for each- they just offer different experiences.

May- Glacier bay we didn't get in as close to glaciers because of the ice. Colder weather once- but also had bright sunny days on other time. in may.

We have had some rain and 100% sunshine all cruise and both trips were enjoyable.

Eagles have been more abundant at different times of the year. We also like to fish and the salmon are running at different times during the summer.

If it were a once in a lifetime trip I might avoid may or sept because of the weather but if you get a great deal and that is the way you can afford the trip of your lifetime by going in may or sept -- GO!

what I can remember we have done

Ketchikan- totem village, French creek hike, fishing on the bridge for Salmon, hike up married mans trail, southeast discovery center, rainforest sanctuary, kayak to an island, Anan bear flight plane and bear viewing, salmon fishing

Juneau- salmon fishing, whale watching, Mendenhall glacier- visitor center, nugget falls hike- every trip kids won't skip it, gold creek salmon bake, glacier gardens, mt Roberts tram, city tour, helicopter to dog sled ride, helicopter to glacier pilots choice

Skagway, WPRW proud trip and one way with bus other way, WPRW and get off to hike to Laughton glacier, fishing, jewels garden, WPRW and Yukon Discovery tour- museum is nice, farmyard fun for kids, dog sled ride, helicopter to glacier

too much to choose from! thus why my answer for cruise first or land first doesn't match up with others- we are busy on both and & cruise. we have a fun time and make sure relaxing is included on both sides and if you plan well land doesn't have to be complicated with the packing and changing hotels

a) I also agree with tour first, cruise 2nd

b) Spend two nights at each location you go to. If only one night, you will see very little as you arrive the afternoon one day and leave the next morning.

c) As many days as you can afford, both vacation time and $$$. This can be the trip of a lifetime. Don't go all that distance and not take the opportunity to see all you can.

d) Although one poster suggested a DIY land tour, unless you like herding cats (your group of friends), do it with Princess and let them take care of all the details.

We did land first and enjoyed it that way. I think either way can work, but land first is probably better.

We spent a couple days in Anchorage before the tour. Our first trip to Alaska, we landed in Anchorage and just boarded a bus to the ship. It was nice getting a chance to visit Anchorage and the nearby area.

We took Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Fairbanks to start our tour. The train ride is all day, but wonderful views.

We stayed in Fairbanks (overnight), Denali (2 nights) and Mt. McKinley(overnight). We got into Fairbanks late so didn't do much besides eat a very late dinner. Sun didn't go down until after 2 AM so it didn't feel late. Denali was nice. The tundra tour is recommended. Princess messed up our Tundra tour reservation so they ended up trying to compensate us for it. Mt. McKinley lodge was fine. Not much to do on the grounds, so we took the shuttle to the town. When we took our cruisetour, it was early in the season. The lodges were just opening. The service and food were pretty bad, but the scenary was breath taking. In Denali park, they have dog kennels for the huskies. You can go meet them and they put on a free show - if you are into sled dogs.

Thank you all so much! The only thing that we were able to decide on yesterday was that the land portion would be first. Next week we will get together and try to decide when we will be able to go. If you have any more suggestions please keep them coming. And thank you again!

a) I also agree with tour first, cruise 2nd

b) Spend two nights at each location you go to. If only one night, you will see very little as you arrive the afternoon one day and leave the next morning.

c) As many days as you can afford, both vacation time and $$$. This can be the trip of a lifetime. Don't go all that distance and not take the opportunity to see all you can.

I LOVE THIS ----> d) Although one poster suggested a DIY land tour, unless you like herding cats (your group of friends), do it with Princess and let them take care of all the details.

Please see above 😂😂😂