Limited to one entrée only in fixed dining room- how did I miss this rule?

berlingo

Cruise lines are not a land based restaurant and touts all you can eat food 24/7. I will have you know that I am 5 foot 2 roughly 125lb female so I am by no means obese and I will order an app and a soup and/or salad and an entrée and if I see an entrée I think I may like but not sure as I am a picky eater I will ask for it as well and ask for just the item I would like to try, but have been told entire entrée needs to be brought out..ok so be it. Granted yes obesity is a problem but for people to make blanket statement like that really irritates me. I eat healthy and workout 6 days a week and most of my meals are either grilled chicken and salad or some fish with salad or brown rice so when I am on vacation I do tend to eat items I normally wouldn't and use this time to splurge in desserts or entrees I normally would not have or make for myself...plus it is not like the entrees are heaped on the plates. Land based restaurants to me have way more portion on their entrees than I see on princess ship.

I will have to say that I'm probably not as up-to-date on the unwritten dining expectations as many here seem to be. I just spent time perusing through both the Princess and Celebrity websites in both their general home section as well as their dining sections. Although they may have in the past touted "all you can eat" at any venue for the price of the cruise, that doesn't seem to be their marketing strategy anymore. And perhaps that change is what is disappointing for many cruise veterans.

What I did find on both sites were many references to "fresh" food and ingredients; much diversity in the type of cuisine; many options on where to dine on the ships; 24 hr. room service and the 24 hr. International Cafe on Princess ships. A newer cruiser might well come away with the perception that they could eat all day long trying out the different venues; but I didn't see anything to lead to the expectation that one could regularly order multiple courses in the main dining rooms. Again, that may have been advertised in the past and has been a long-held expectation by those who have been cruising for years.

As far as your observation that Princess has smaller portions than land-based restaurants, you're probably correct. With a little googling it was easy for me to find multiple articles on how the average food portion at both chain and independent restaurants in the U.S. has dramatically increased in the last 20 years. It is often one of the first things commented on by visitors from many other countries.

I, like you, am at a healthy weight and keep active. At the same time I certainly put myself in the category of occasionally splurging while on vacation or after having had a bad day. But if either you or I were eating that way on a daily basis, we would probably be part of the 33%+ of Americans who are medically obese.

We had friends on the Crown T/A from FLL to Southampton. They had a lot of legitimate complaints, it seems the Crown was not functioning well on the hotel side earlier this year. I suspect that these complaints might be unique to the Crown, we certainly have not run across similar issues in the dining rooms on Princess, or at the MTP parties, etc. I certainly hope this does not become the norm fleet wide, and has been corrected relative to the F/B service people on the Crown.

If we had even encountered such situations, not only the Maitre d' Hotel, but also the Hotel General Manager would have been informed of what we experienced. By the way, we do not hesitate to praise outstanding service when we encounter it as well.

I will have to say that I'm probably not as up-to-date on the unwritten dining expectations as many here seem to be. I just spent time perusing through both the Princess and Celebrity websites in both their general home section as well as their dining sections. Although they may have in the past touted "all you can eat" at any venue for the price of the cruise, that doesn't seem to be their marketing strategy anymore. And perhaps that change is what is disappointing for many cruise veterans.

What I did find on both sites were many references to "fresh" food and ingredients; much diversity in the type of cuisine; many options on where to dine on the ships; 24 hr. room service and the 24 hr. International Cafe on Princess ships. A newer cruiser might well come away with the perception that they could eat all day long trying out the different venues; but I didn't see anything to lead to the expectation that one could regularly order multiple courses in the main dining rooms. Again, that may have been advertised in the past and has been a long-held expectation by those who have been cruising for years.

As far as your observation that Princess has smaller portions than land-based restaurants, you're probably correct. With a little googling it was easy for me to find multiple articles on how the average food portion at both chain and independent restaurants in the U.S. has dramatically increased in the last 20 years. It is often one of the first things commented on by visitors from many other countries.

I, like you, am at a healthy weight and keep active. At the same time I certainly put myself in the category of occasionally splurging while on vacation or after having had a bad day. But if either you or I were eating that way on a daily basis, we would probably be part of the 33%+ of Americans who are medically obese.

So based on your several references to the cruise web-sites rather than personal experiences, am I then to gather you've not sailed on a Princess ship ??

Just curious

Srpilo

Chain of Command:

Hotel Officer

Food and Beverage Officer

Maitre 'd Hotel

Head Waiter

(Often waiters move into specialty restaurants on their way to becoming a Head Waiter)

Waiter

Jr. Waiter

I have become friendly with a couple of Maitre 'd Hotels who are the nicest persons.

Because of my request for a special diet, I am in contact with my Head Waiter at almost every dinner. Most are very hard workers who clear tables, set up tables, and do many other jobs to help those in his section. Over the years, I have seen former waiters become head waiters. The screening process is very competitive.

There are also Assistant Maitre d's. We met a lovely Assistant Maitre d' on our last Princess cruise on Sun. She came up to the Sanctuary to say hello to us every day. She seemed to be in charge of the speciality restaurants and also the buffet.

Depending on the size of the dining room there will be 3-5 Head Waiters in each. Each Head Waiter is responsible for one section of that dining room and manages the waiters and assistant waiters in that section.

I'm 5'1, 120 pounds. I regularly exercise, eat fairly healthy, but on a cruise, I do enjoy myself in the "foodie" department.

As for the idea that it is "endless entrees", for us that was brought on by waiters on previous cruises; when we asked if they recommended selection "a" or selection "b", they brought both, without us asking.

This has happened several times...

I can't think of any land restaurant, where one orders from a menu, that permits ordering additional entrees at no additional charge. How did that ever become the norm just because one is on a ship? I always thought that people who want multiple entrees, desserts, whatever, would frequent buffets (land or sea) where that is expected.

There are reasons that 33.7% of United States adults were listed as medically obese (BMI of 30 or more) in 2014. Indulging in multiple courses (and usually not a salad course) as a norm is probably one of them.

Apples and oranges........the rest just plain Nasty.

So based on your several references to the cruise web-sites rather than personal experiences, am I then to gather you've not sailed on a Princess ship ??

Just curious

Srpilo

As my signature shows, I sailed on Coral Princess in May of this year. We also have a Regal Princess cruise planned for next February and a Celebrity in 2019. Enjoying getting back to cruising after sailing 3 times in the early 2000s on Celebrity. I mentioned looking closely at the cruise web sites today because I wanted to be up-to-date on how they market the dining experience.

As this thread shows, there is great variation on what is important regarding the cruise experience.

i wonder if the "one plate after the other" is less chiding and more keeping the food at the right temp and table space constraints. maybe some were at smaller tables where extra plates aren't as easy to accommodate?

But I didn't want to eat the meals sequentially. I wanted a surf and turf experience. What I got was turf, followed by surf. My wife and I always opt for a table of 8-10, so space shouldn't be an issue and I'd prefer the Wellington and the lobster show up at the same time to avoid the rest of the table having to wait for the dessert course.

I would always opt for the surf and turf option at the crown grill as we'd make a point to eat there at least once a cruise. I'd order a small filet minion so that I'd finish everything including the lobster. Now with the $10 charge for the extra main, I'll probably skip the lobster and go for the porterhouse if we ever do decide to go back there. -Haven't been to Sabatini's since they stopped the 10, or so, course feasts that they used to have.

I know some ships allow you to order only one entree at a time. Can ask for more after

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That seems reasonable. At times I've had 2 main courses on order & cancelled the second one since I knew it would go to waste.

But we were presented above with the situation that a group of four wanted to share one extra entree. Four people should not have to finish their entrees before they can then get 1/4 of a different entree they wanted to try.

16 cruises and the only thing I was ever told was they cannot deliver them at the same time. I have to finish one first. My only problem with that is that I do not each starches and it hard to order them without so I get the entrée and it seems like I am wasting some which I did not ask for to begin with.

There are also Assistant Maitre d's. We met a lovely Assistant Maitre d' on our last Princess cruise on Sun. She came up to the Sanctuary to say hello to us every day. She seemed to be in charge of the speciality restaurants and also the buffet.

Depending on the size of the dining room there will be 3-5 Head Waiters in each. Each Head Waiter is responsible for one section of that dining room and manages the waiters and assistant waiters in that section.

On the Crown, there was also an Assistant Maitre d' who was in charge of Specialty Restaurants.

But we were presented above with the situation that a group of four wanted to share one extra entree. Four people should not have to finish their entrees before they can then get 1/4 of a different entree they wanted to try.

Of course not.

I still believe this was a complete misunderstanding of some sort & nothing has changed. How on earth could they refuse a person a second meal if the first one was insufficient, not cooked properly or just plain terrible? :confused:

That's one reputation that I seriously doubt no cruise line would want especially considering the minimal cost of the additional meal.

If it's true about limiting only one main course, I'll have to experience it for myself next cruise.

But I didn't want to eat the meals sequentially. I wanted a surf and turf experience. What I got was turf, followed by surf. My wife and I always opt for a table of 8-10, so space shouldn't be an issue and I'd prefer the Wellington and the lobster show up at the same time to avoid the rest of the table having to wait for the dessert course.

I would always opt for the surf and turf option at the crown grill as we'd make a point to eat there at least once a cruise. I'd order a small filet minion so that I'd finish everything including the lobster. Now with the $10 charge for the extra main, I'll probably skip the lobster and go for the porterhouse if we ever do decide to go back there. -Haven't been to Sabatini's since they stopped the 10, or so, course feasts that they used to have.

DH sometimes orders fettuccine alfredo with a chicken breast which he slices into the fettuccine. Would he have to eat the pasta first and then order his chicken?

Oh, my. I hadn't considered the speed at which one eats when we selected to dine at a table larger than just ourselves. I thought it would be nice to meet another couple through the dinning experience. We may do a lot of just waiting at dinner. Live and learn, I guess.

we've never had this problem... We've dined with a variety of people since we always agreed to share a table during our Anytime dining.

Oh, and on all 5 of our cruises, most of the multilple main dishes came out at the same time or following each other back to back.

I only had a couple of "bad service moments", when the waiter forgot to bring another appetizer or entrée. Or it took 10+ minutes to get a dessert menu after the plates have been cleared off.

We'll see how the upcoming cruise goes. This will be the first time cruising for our parents. Dad and I eat very quickly*, hubby and his mom eat at an average speed, and my mom eats very slowly. Friend's family eats at an average speed. :) I think we'll be just fine.

*both of us can easily eat 2 entrees in the time it takes my hubby to eat one entrée.

There are reasons that 33.7% of United States adults were listed as medically obese (BMI of 30 or more) in 2014. Indulging in multiple courses (and usually not a salad course) as a norm is probably one of them.
lol. Oh, yeah, indulging in multiple courses once a year is totally the reason for my obesity. But then - hubby orders at least 2 entrees, and he is very slender. Darn, there goes the explanation.

51 weeks out of a year I don't indulge in multiple courses. Far from it.

lol. Oh, yeah, indulging in multiple courses once a year is totally the reason for my obesity. But then - hubby orders at least 2 entrees, and he is very slender. Darn, there goes the explanation.

51 weeks out of a year I don't indulge in multiple courses. Far from it.

Do you eat Itchy & Scratchy burgers during that week or Crusty burgers,:D

I usually only order one entree but I have been on cruises (one of my Alaska cruises comes to mind) where when I wasn't sure what I wanted that night, the waiter would recommend I get multiple entrees. I have never had any problems in requesting more than one entree or salad or dessert. And I have never had a problem asking for another entree when the one I ordered wasn't to my liking.

Getting off the topic to discuss obesity and the reasons for it seems to be a waste of bandwidth. The issue originally posed was around whether one can order multiple entries and if there has been a change in Princess policy. Based on our experiences on all of our Princess cruises, that answer would be no on the policy change. It also would be the answer on our Celebrity cruises as well.

Edited by huskerdan25

We were on a cruise a few years back with the same formal dinner menu. I asked for the beef Wellington and a lobster tail side dish for a "surf and turf and puff" dinner. I was told that I could only have the lobster tail after I finished the Wellington dish!

Talk about revisiting one's childhood! :)

We were on a 14 day Hawaii cruise 3 or 4 years ago and had the exact same experience. I thought a 'surf and turf' sounded good. The only way to make it happen was they brought out the beef, I ate the meat and some of the sides, then they brought out the lobster and I at that and some of the sides. I guess they wanted to make sure I was still hungry after the first entree. It did not bother me that they served it that way, but I would have liked it better if they had just put the lobster tail next to the beef wellington to start with, and I think it would have been easier and less work all around.

maybe someone is seeking a combination that isn't offered on the menu - maybe they want their fettucine alfredo with ground beef, so they order a burger (because that's going to be more accurate than if the waiter tries to have the kitchen put the two together).

Maybe someone is on the fence regarding two entrees, and since it's flat-rate/pre-paid/whatever, they can just order both.

Maybe my wife wants a salmon or shrimp dish (because of the flavors she enjoys), but she needs more protein (she's lost 119 pounds in 18 months, partly through a high-protein meal plan, and if she doesn't eat enough protein, she gets grouchy, and you don't want that to happen, as she's a redhead), so she orders a second dish with the intent to focus on the protein found in that dish.

Maybe they just want it because they walked a lot of steps in the cold on their alaska hiking excursion, and they know their caloric burn was way higher than a normal day.

Maybe it's none of your business.

bingo!

...I would have liked it better if they had just put the lobster tail next to the beef wellington to start with, and I think it would have been easier and less work all around.

Take the Ultimate Ship Tour sometime and you'll see the organization and production it takes to serve up hundreds of meals to order at the approximate same time. It's a production line Accommodating "one-off"s like the protein serving from two entree's on one plate would "throw a monkey wrench in the works".