Seasickness Remedy for 1st time cruiser?

mickeychicky

As a first time cruiser next week, should I pack something for seasickness as a 'just-in-case' ? I have never gotten seasick before on any boat (small personal boats).

Has anyone experienced seasickness only on large cruise ships and not other boats?

Does Dramamine work for everyone or is there any other recommendations?

Thanks!

You'll be fine. Normally the bigger the boat the less chance of the movement bothering you. I've had a couple cruises where I wish the ship would move a little. Dramamine, Bonine, and other basic over the counter pills work fine for me on smaller boats, mountainous bus rides, helicopters, etc. The trick is to take them before you need them. The lower and more central you are on the ship the less it sways.

Edited by caseymorgan

Do you normally get motion sickness? If so and depending on what degree you could talk to your doctor about the patch. The drug is Scopolamine. Main side effects are dry mouth and drowsiness. My oldest daughter takes it when she cruises. Just another option. Being sea sick is no fun.

Enjoy your cruise.

I was super paranoid on my first cruise because I sometimes get motion sickness in cars and I can't ride roller coasters. As a precaution I take the generic for Bonine which is Meclizine (cheap at Walgreens, about $5 for a package). I take a 1/2 pill in the morning and a whole at night. Never had an issue with drowsiness or interacting with alcohol. I've never had a moment of seasickness, and we've had swells topping 18 ft in the past.

We had a rough day on our anthem cruise this year - went to guest services and they gave out free seasickness tablets which helped a lot - wish I had gone a bit earlier! I think they give these out free on every ship but someone else would need to confirm that.

We had a rough day on our anthem cruise this year - went to guest services and they gave out free seasickness tablets which helped a lot - wish I had gone a bit earlier! I think they give these out free on every ship but someone else would need to confirm that.

On my first cruise, I also bought motion sickness pills on board and never used them... they ended up expiring before my next cruise. :) I have since learned that almost all the cruiselines give out seasickness pills. Also, side note, while you may not get seasick on the ship, sometimes you may have to take a ferry to get to the port (if tendered) or to get to your excursion (we had to take a ferry from Cozumel so that we could see the Mayan ruins in Tulum) and the water can be really choppy and you might get seasick on such a short ride. In case of this, you can try going to guest services the night before and picking up 1 or 2 pills in case it is needed the next day.

I always take a small tin of Ginger 'mints'. They sell them at Fresh Market, Trader Joes - stores like that. Typically found up near the register. They're nothing more than crushed - pulverized ginger pressed into a tablet form that you suck on. (The tin and the shape would remind you of Altoids).

Honestly if you have no history of motion sickness and have never had issues on small boats I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I have never had any issues even on the rare rough night I've experienced.

FOR ME a big part of it is the power of mental suggestion - things I worry about tend to be much more likely to happen whereas the things I don't worry about (like seasickness) don't. Please note, I'm not saying that applies to everyone - I know people who legitimately have motion sickness (though they purposely avoid cruising to not put themselves in a position of feeling sick) - but I do wonder if some first time, never had motion issues people don't worry themselves into issues they wouldn't otherwise have.

Since you already know that you're not prone motion sickness, you'll likely be fine. But what about your travel companion(s)? I think a box of just-in-case generic brand pills is a smart idea, at least for the first time. Not much lost if ya don't need them, but if you do, you'll be more than glad to have them. Be sure to get the non-drowsy formula (probably most are these days) and read the warnings for mixing with alcohol just to be safe. I've heard the patch (Rx given by your doc) has a stronger warning against consuming alcohol. And who knows, though you may not need them, ya might cross paths with someone who does -- you'd be a hero. ;)

I've never had a problem with sea sickness, nor had my husband... until we took that ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen for the mayan ruins excursion. While I managed ok, he got sick (as did a LOT of others who didn't expect to). And once you're sick, it can stay with you all day, even on land. It's really best to avoid it all together. But if you decide to chance it and not take anything... at least consider what your excursion plans are and have something on hand for unforeseeable conditions, if needed (a ginger remedy, maybe).

Enjoy your first cruise!! Trust me, you'll love it and it will be the making of a special memory.

I get horrible sea sickness - even on the ships. I can't remember one cruise I've taken (we've taken 9) where I didn't get sick. I've tried darn near EVERYTHING. I got the patches from the doctor, Dramamine, Bonine, the wrist straps, nothing worked for me. The only thing that helps me is the ginger pills. Even then it's not a 'fix', but it will take the edge off and lets me function.

I was terribly sick the first cruise we went on and bought the wrist bands on board because I didn't want to use medications. A year later I was still sick but not as bad. I still carry the wristbands as a precaution but now I'm fine. I don't get motion sick anywhere else, so it was weird two years running.

The last time we were on board the pool was closed and they were kicking us out of the pool bar because the waves were so rough that the water was coming out of the pool and they had to close the deck.

So, best solution? Cruise more frequently and sit at the bar!

I was super paranoid on my first cruise because I sometimes get motion sickness in cars and I can't ride roller coasters. As a precaution I take the generic for Bonine which is Meclizine (cheap at Walgreens, about $5 for a package). I take a 1/2 pill in the morning and a whole at night. Never had an issue with drowsiness or interacting with alcohol. I've never had a moment of seasickness, and we've had swells topping 18 ft in the past.

You sound like me! I get motion sick in cars too and also cannot do roller coasters. I've not tried the generic and the meds I did try, I never took on a regular schedule (probably a glaring mistake, but I try to minimize medications). I will have to try that next time!

As a first time cruiser next week, should I pack something for seasickness as a 'just-in-case' ? I have never gotten seasick before on any boat (small personal boats).

Has anyone experienced seasickness only on large cruise ships and not other boats?

Does Dramamine work for everyone or is there any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Bonine! We never cruise without taking our daily dose, it works like Dramamine, but it doesn't make you drowsy

I think they give these out free on every ship but someone else would need to confirm that.

They do! You can obtain seasickness pills at either Guest Services OR they are available at the Medical Center (there is box that hangs on the wall full of single packet doses that you can help yourself to).

I definitely agree with all the ginger comments. I buy a bottle of ginger root pills in the supplement section. I take one a day and it does the trick.

I have been prone to motion sickness since I was a small child. I could never ride spinning rides or read in the car. After discovering ginger from a CC post, my life has been changed. I actually started and finished a book on our last long car trip and never had a minute of nausea on our last 2 cruises. I also buy candied ginger in the dried fruit section. You can chew a piece and it will calm your stomach right down.

Why chance it? I get seasick on EVERY cruise, big or small, lots of rocking or just subtle movements. Meclizine is the best medicine with the least side effects. The drug is sold as Bonine or Dramamine non drowsy. I take one pill every 12 hours starting the night before I fly into port for the cruise. No worries, no seasickness with this method. Unfortunately, once you do start to get seasick, it's hard to kick that feeling, so for people like me it's best to take the meds from the get-go.

Edited by clawmachine

+1 Sea Bands work very well for me. I still carry dramamine just in case' date=' but have not needed it in years.[/quote']

Would you find these with the Dramamine or some other section of the store? and they last the whole trip?