Don't Blame HAL for Exchange Rates

Tom O.

There have been a few discussions here that have included posts with people irritated about HALs policies involving exchange rates. The U.S. Dollar is quite high right now especially in relation to the Canadian Dollar. All of HAL prices are based on US Dollars.

So if someone makes a deposit on a cruise, excursion or whatever, from outside the US, the charge to their credit card will reflect the current exchange rate. If that purchase later gets canceled, for any reason, HAL will refund the exact amount of US Dollars it originally received. But, if the foreign currency went down in value during that time, the person will lose some money.

You cannot expect HAL to make compensation for the difference in the exchange rates. Besides, if the US Dollar should go down in value before the purchase was canceled, the person could actually make a profit. HAL would not ask you to compensate them, for the profit you made.

I understand people lamenting the exchange rates, as it costs them more to cruise, especially Canadians. Most posters here understand it is a swing in the world economy and not HALs fault. But a few just don't seem to get it.

Who is blaming HAL? HAL's rate, like many other cruise lines, is very attractive. Our dollar is weak-certainly not HAL's fault.

We are being inundated with offers for Florida and Arizona vacations. Some places are offering accommodation at par, others a 25 percent discount on stays in excess of one week. This makes it more attractive. I can understand these offers.

We were in a 5 star AI in Cancun last week-daughters destination wedding. We met so many Canadians who had changed their vacations to AI's in Mexico etc rather than go to Florida, Hawaii, Arizona, cruise, or both. It was a bit of a surprise to us since many people booked cruises in advance and were able to take advantage of more attractive exchange rates.

We decided to pass. Going to Thailand in two weeks. May pick up a cruise during our travels but the probability is low since prices are out of line with value (to us).

Edited by iancal

Funny, I haven't read any posts where people were blaming HAL for the terrible exchange rates.

I have read people expressing regret that the exchange rates are so awful for them, and they are right. I have read at least one person suggesting that a refund on a canceled plan already paid for could not just be converted to OBC. Since the cruise itself was not canceled, this seems like a reasonable accommodation. Just because the procedure does not currently exist does not mean that it couldn't be set up.

When the cruise is canceled, then returning funds at the going rate is probably all that can be done. But when the cruise remains intact, then refunding as OBC makes a great deal of sense, no matter which party gets the better end of the deal.

Perhaps the OP is referring to a recent post of mine. However, in that instance, it was HAL's fault in that HAL inadvertently cancelled the booking (along with all the prebooked shorex) instead of re-faring the booking and maintaining the original booking number. The resultant cancellation of the shorex created exactly a scenario as the OP describes where the rebooked shorex (which were booked in USD on a CDN credit card) cost us more than when they were originally booked.

HAL made us whole through a refund and OBC once someone in the know looked up the booking(s) and said "Oh, my. What have we done?!". As I recall, it was substantial enough to make the fuss. Particularly since it was through no fault of our own.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

HAL made us whole through a refund and OBC once someone in the know looked up the booking(s) and said "Oh, my. What have we done?!". As I recall, it was substantial enough to make the fuss. Particularly since it was through no fault of our own.

That was the fair thing for HAL to do. It made you whole.

I guess you folks didn't see the post that I saw. I am not going to quote it here because it got kind of nasty and the thread was closed by the moderator.

But the person was upset that his refund from HAL was less than he paid (because of a difference in exchange rates), after HAL canceled his dinner reservation.

There is a lengthy conversation of this sort on the NCL forum. Their thread is more along the lines of disliking the way NCL is handling pre-purchase of OBC but it is unfavorable to Canadian cruisers.

There is a lengthy conversation of this sort on the NCL forum. Their thread is more along the lines of disliking the way NCL is handling pre-purchase of OBC but it is unfavorable to Canadian cruisers.

I think that is the limiting of buying $1,000 and if you've already bought it they're refunding anything over $1,000 no matter what the length of the cruise. There are some people booked on 30+ Day sailings. $1,000 sure isn't going to go far

I guess you folks didn't see the post that I saw. I am not going to quote it here because it got kind of nasty and the thread was closed by the moderator.

But the person was upset that his refund from HAL was less than he paid (because of a difference in exchange rates), after HAL canceled his dinner reservation.

Am I understanding this correctly???

You started this thread and made a general statement on blaming HAL because of ONE post????

Like the others and I am Canadian and have posted about this, I have seen no one blaming HAL. I have seen people comment how the cost has affected them and that is quite normal IMO

Tom...IMO you are misinterpreting the posters complaint.. I saw the same closed thread..

Are you referring to posts No. 56, 62 & 64 in this thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2309902&page=3

The poster was sold a dinner by HAL & he paid for it on a Canadian Credit Card.. HAL took two weeks to tell him they will no longer sell that particular dinner..

Then the Poster asked that the amount be converted to OBC & HAL refused to convert it to OBC.. Instead they refunded the money & he lost some of it due to the exchange rate.. He was annoyed that they would not convert it to OBC.... I would be annoyed to if they accepted my money & waited two weeks to tell me that they were in error..

He is not blaming HAL for the exchange rate..He is blaming them for taking two weeks & not being willing to convert those funds into OBC.../B]He understands he lost the money due to the exchange rate..

IMO HAL should never have accepted payment on the dinner in the first place & they should have immediately refunded the money..

The important thing is that anyone paying in Non-US dollars could loose money, if they pay in Non US funds.. So many Canadians understand that they should use USD when purchasing cruises etc., but others do not..

Edited by serendipity1499

I saw a post that reminds me of what you are referring to but I don't remember where it was.

Edited by sammiedawg

Tom...IMO you are misinterpreting the posters complaint.. I saw the same closed thread..

Are you referring to posts No. 56, 62 & 64 in this thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2309902&page=3

The poster was sold a dinner by HAL & he paid for it on a Canadian Credit Card.. HAL took two weeks to tell him they will no longer sell that particular dinner..

Then the Poster asked that the amount be converted to OBC & HAL refused to convert it to OBC.. Instead they refunded the money & he lost some of it due to the exchange rate.. He was annoyed that they would not convert it to OBC.... I would be annoyed to if they accepted my money & waited two weeks to tell me that they were in error..

He is not blaming HAL for the exchange rate..He is blaming them for taking two weeks & not being willing to convert those funds into OBC.../B]He understands he lost the money due to the exchange rate..

IMO HAL should never have accepted payment on the dinner in the first place & they should have immediately refunded the money..

The important thing is that anyone paying in Non-US dollars could loose money, if they pay in Non US funds.. So many Canadians understand that they should use USD when purchasing cruises etc., but others do not..

Yes, that is exactly the post I was talking about. And the thread was closed so I couldn't respond there.

I thought I made it perfectly clear in my original post here, that most people understood the exchange rate problem and didn't blame HAL or any other cruise line. I certainly did not mean to offend Canadians or any other nationality.

One challenge for many Canadians when buying and subsequently getting a refund on a product or service is that they automatically loose 5 percent just in bank Visa charges- 2 1/2 percent hidden admin fees are added on each transaction. So, even if the exchange rates are identical, there will most likely be a 5 point delta.

Yes, that is exactly the post I was talking about. And the thread was closed so I couldn't respond there.

I thought I made it perfectly clear in my original post here, that most people understood the exchange rate problem and didn't blame HAL or any other cruise line. I certainly did not mean to offend Canadians or any other nationality.

Highlight mine.

If 'most people' are not blaming HAL, then what is the purpose of the original post?:confused::confused:

>SNIP<

Currently we are booking the actual cruise in Cdn $s because the exchange rate HAL is using to convert the cruise pricing to Cdn $s is in our favour. Can't complain about that :)

For other US $ expenses, such as pre purchasing excursions, buying OBCs, hotels and meals in the US, we use our US $ Visa card. We have a little supply of US $s in our US $ bank account, so we are under no pressure to pay whatever the exchange rate is on a particular day. We will replace the US $s we spend, but will pick the timing for purchasing those $$s :) Works for us. I'm surprised more Canadians don't do this, to be honest.

Currently we are booking the actual cruise in Cdn $s because the exchange rate HAL is using to convert the cruise pricing to Cdn $s is in our favour. Can't complain about that :)

For other US $ expenses, such as pre purchasing excursions, buying OBCs, hotels and meals in the US, we use our US $ Visa card. We have a little supply of US $s in our US $ bank account, so we are under no pressure to pay whatever the exchange rate is on a particular day. We will replace the US $s we spend, but will pick the timing for purchasing those $$s :) Works for us. I'm surprised more Canadians don't do this, to be honest.

Understand that.. Many of our Canadian Friends are doing just that.. I'm talking about the ones who spend time here every year..They all seem to use Canadian Credit Cards only in Canada & U.S.$$ Credit cards here..

If you pay with your Canadian Card, will you be able to get all the Canadian $$ back or do you have to pay an admin. fee if you cancel?

BTW when I was very young & needed special shoes, I spent my summers up on the St. Lawrence river on the N.Y. side.. I needed special shoes in those days.. My Mother used to come up during her vacations & take me over to Canada on the Ferry to buy me the special shoes..Then when I was first married in the 60's & lived with my Husband in Detroit, money was scarce & I was still job hunting...I would cross over to Windsor every week to buy our groceries. as our USD went further then..Our USD those times went farther in Canada..

BTW I would never bash Canadians.. My Father was a Canadian, so I guess I'm 50% Canadian..

Understand that.. Many of our Canadian Friends are doing just that.. I'm talking about the ones who spend time here every year..They all seem to use Canadian Credit Cards only in Canada & U.S.$$ Credit cards here..

If you pay with your Canadian Card, will you be able to get all the Canadian $$ back or do you have to pay an admin. fee if you cancel?

BTW when I was very young & needed special shoes, I spent my summers up on the St. Lawrence river on the N.Y. side.. I needed special shoes in those days.. My Mother used to come up during her vacations & take me over to Canada on the Ferry to buy me the special shoes..Then when I was first married in the 60's & lived with my Husband in Detroit, money was scarce & I was still job hunting...I would cross over to Windsor every week to buy our groceries. as our USD went further then..Our USD those times went farther in Canada..

BTW I would never bash Canadians.. My Father was a Canadian, so I guess I'm 50% Canadian..

That's what we do, like your Canadian friends do -- use our Canadian $ credit cards in Canada, and use the US $ credit card in the US. (I made the mistake once of using my US $ card in Canada, ouch ouch ouch! :D )

For buying our cruise in Cdn $s, we deal directly with our HAL PCC, and there is no admin fee or anything if we cancel before final payment date. The same as when we were buying our cruises in US $s.

Nice memory of your mom Serendipity. Too bad you are so far from the Canada border now -- your $ would go pretty far here again!

Perhaps your friends are in a better financial position then some Canadians since they spend part of the year in the USA. Most people I know can't even afford to visit for two weeks. The usa credit cards I've seen come with a hefty yearly fee. That's just adding insult to injury. While that may work for some folks it shouldn't be expected that is a remedy for everyone. Hal should not be holding onto money from Canadians for two weeks for a dinner they know they don't do any more. There is no way to put a positive spin on that.

Edited by cruz chic