Norwegian Fjords -- Land Discovery prices?

Wendy The Wanderer

I am going to defend the CC suites layout as I really like what they did in dry dock - but then different things are important to different people. We are used to deep drawers because that is what the designers did when we redid our own room last year and we have seen the huge advantages for us at home.

One thing guests might like to consider is buying and taking a pack of these with you - they fold flat so take up no space in the luggage.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/small-storage-organisers/clothes-organisers/skubb-box-set-of-6-white-art-00192631/

We do use them at home and also onboard - it keeps items organised and for choosing what you want I just lift out the whole cube onto a surface. As each pack has two of each size cube we take one pack between us. They are actually quite big when knocked up into cube shape so for me socks etc can go in the smallest, underwear in the middle or largest. I hang t shirts and there is plenty of space for that for two people in the wardrobe as well as hanging everything else we bring - and we bring two large cases each.

I am going to defend the CC suites layout as I really like what they did in dry dock - but then different things are important to different people.

Couldn't agree more. The new CC suites are terrific, especially with a choice of tub or walk-in shower now. I don't expect a cruise line, hotel, resort, or whatever to design a guest room exactly as I would have.

Wendy,

DH and I did this cruise last year. If you let me know your email address, I'd be happy to send my detailed itinerary.

Pam

Thanks Pam. I am now booked! We'll see if I actually go, it's 15 months out, but we can live in hope!

I'd love your notes. My public email address (the one I use when I post) is: w _ harrison _ ca at yahoo dot ca

As for the CC cabins, to each his own. We chose a Verandah on deck 7 this time.

BTW, would anyone care to comment on the Living Room as an indoor observation lounge for viewing the fjords?

If you want to take pictures go to the forward part of the top deck, pull a table up close to the glass wall, step up [not quite high enough] and hold your camera over your head [bingo!]. If your camera has an articulated screen, you can angle it down and see exactly what's in the picture. Most of my pictures of Troll Fjord were done this way [see link in signature for Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016, section 10 (Lofoten Islands)]

If you want to take pictures go to the forward part of the top deck, pull a table up close to the glass wall, step up [not quite high enough] and hold your camera over your head [bingo!]. If your camera has an articulated screen, you can angle it down and see exactly what's in the picture. Most of my pictures of Troll Fjord were done this way [see link in signature for Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016, section 10 (Lofoten Islands)]

Thanks, but no, my camera does not have an articulated screen, it's just a good quality point and shoot. And I'm more interested in *seeing* the fjords than taking pictures of them. Mostly I'm wondering if we can get a good view when it's chilly outside--many of the Hurtigruten ships have panoramic lounges with two-storey windows around three sides.

NEVER, if at all you can avoid it, shoot through a ship's window. Camera lenses are significantly more "refined" and accurate than windows. Just back from Antarctica on Hurtigruten's Fram with its fantastic observation lounge forward. The windows are tinted to limit UV transmission and color images light blue. Its easy to keep a coat with you and don it quickly for imaging orcas, icebergs, mountains, seals, "flying" penguins and sunsets.

We traveled Norway on Quest July 2015 and arranged tours, both in Scotland and Norway, separate from Azamara's tours. Its very easy in Norway. The Flam railway can sell out so that must be purchased as soon as ticketing opens - there were 3 cruise ships in Flam disgorging a total of about 4,000 tourists at one time. Nordkapp is an easily arranged pre-booked bus from Honningsvag leaving from the small souvenir shop just off the pier. Found that arranging excursions ourselves costs less than half of what Azamara was asking for the very same trip. We did rely on Azamara's excursions during Middle East stops on a Mumbai-Piraeus cruise and they were well worth it - on sale at half price.

Do excursions lower in price the closer you get to sailing?

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

No, in fact I have seen them be a higher price once I got onboard but that was the exception - certainly not a supply and demand pricing as happens on the actual cruise fare.

• 1 month later...
Wendy,

DH and I did this cruise last year. If you let me know your email address, I'd be happy to send my detailed itinerary.

Pam

Pam, I am looking at doing this cruise with my parents in June. Last minute, but would love to take a look at your itinerary. I prefer to do most of our booking on our own. I know it is late, and we may not get to do all we would like to, but going to give it a go!!!

kyra_60@yahoo.com

Thank you so much,

Kyra