Urgent help needed regarding cabin noise issue

Despegue

Hi all,

After reading a new review, I am in a bit of a panic regarding our choice of cabin location...

We have selected Stateroom 8136 on Zuiderdam. An Aft verandah.

It now seems that this cabin has significant noise issues due to morning cleaning and lounger placements, something that we absolutely can not stand. ( we are very noise sensitive).

Has anyone have experience with this or a similar cabin?

We have already checked in and have our xpress docs. And tags, but do you think we can still change our cabin ? There is availability and prices are the same as when we booked...

Thank you for the assistance,

D.

We had an aft cabin on 8 on Zuiderdam several years ago. We had no issues with noise overhead. It was an Alaska cruise, and I expected a lot of noise on glacier-viewing days, but the crowds all wanted to be at the bow, so it was quiet, even then.

I am also very noise sensitive. I've had cabins underneath an area where they had deck chairs above. You may hear some noise but it's not ridiculous. I think it would be very hard to find any location on a ship where you will not hear any noise. I've heard more noise from inconsiderate passangers.

If you are concerned about overhead noise enough to inquire about it, and there is an acceptable cabin available to switch to, then perhaps you should make the switch.

But do be sure to ask about potential problems in the alternate cabin before you take the plunge.

I would agree, switch if there is an comparable cabin elsewhere and you can transfer with little cost or aggravation. Otherwise you may become so unnerved it could diminish your enjoyment.

As was also suggested, be sure there are no negative reviews on any available option or you'll be in the same situation - someone else's opinion controlling your decision.

Hi all,

After reading a new review, I am in a bit of a panic regarding our choice of cabin location...

It now seems that this cabin has significant noise issues due to morning cleaning and lounger placements, something that we absolutely can not stand. ( we are very noise sensitive).

We have already checked in and have our xpress docs. And tags, but do you think we can still change our cabin ? There is availability and prices are the same as when we booked...

D.

Have you any idea what time this noise starts? If it's before you normally awaken, then I would suggest you call your TA or HAL immediately & do the switch.. You can reprint all your tags & documents (first page only) without any problem..

RuthC,

The alternative would be 6133, which seems to be in a good and quiet location. ( opposite is an inside, so no crew door/closet) and near the aft stairs.

Then do it! Don't wait for posters on here to decide for you..

I wrote the review about cabin noise and I would recommend that you switch. I don't know whether the positioning of the loungers might vary from ship to ship, and consequently noise may not be the same on each ship, but you would have to be a very heavy sleeper not to be woken up.

We booked the cabin knowing that we might experience some disturbance when the decks were washed, but hadn't realised that every evening they stack up the sun loungers and then put them out again each morning. We were advised they have to do this for health and safety reasons. I don't know if this a recent practice, which might explain why people who cruised earlier didn't have an issue.

The trouble we had was that because our itinerary was port intensive, we set an alarm for 7am ready for to get off the ship. Being woken at 5am or thereabouts by noise, meant we were getting so stressed waiting for it to stop that we couldn't get back to sleep before we had to get up again. And that's not a holiday. I did have silicone earplugs with me, but still woke up, so maybe I am just super sensitive to noise disturbance.

Sorry to sound so negative but I wish someone had warned me beforehand of the actual procedure on Lido deck and the possibility of disturbance.

We had an aft under the Seaview, this last cruise on Westerdam, and although it was ok, I wouldn't book it again. There was noise with the chairs being moved above, but that wasn't the big deal. It was 7am so it was fine. It was the vibrations that were rather bothersome to me. A lot of vibration. This was so much better than a lanaii under the kitchen galley. Oh, they should stop selling those cabins. They are a nightmare!

Quick update...

We managed to change cabins for no extra charge thanks to our Travel Agent and kind HAL staff.

Thank you all for your advice! Really appreciated.

The cabin we have now is probably ( partially) refurbished as they put in a connecting door with the adjoining cabin during the Zuiderdam drydock...

Hi all,

D.

I had a room in the exact same position on Nieuw Amsterdam a couple years back. No problems at all from cleaning and set up. Middle of the day there might be an occasional noice but it was obviously from someone moving their own chair etc as it was always a "one off" noise and not something repetitive for any period.

Hope that helps

Quick update...

We managed to change cabins for no extra charge thanks to our Travel Agent and kind HAL staff.

Thank you all for your advice! Really appreciated.

The cabin we have now is probably ( partially) refurbished as they put in a connecting door with the adjoining cabin during the Zuiderdam drydock...

So glad it all worked out for you, now you can sleep at night;)

Safe travels and enjoy your cruise.