Gyms on Solstice class ships?

39august

I am sort of a gym rat and am curious about the gym on Solstice class, specifically Silhouette. Is there enough open space for doing your own bootcamp or cardio routine? We have sailed RCI for years, and last year when I sailed Serenade, I was very unhappy with how small that gym is! Can anyone compare to RCI's Freedom or Voyager class gyms, please?

They have a reasonable size gym on the S-Class Ship. My experience is that the Elliptical and Treadmills are in heavy demand and often have people waiting. The remainder of the equipment is sparsely used and could be used for circuit training.

The gyms are actually quite nice...they feature a variety of machines and yes, there is space to do your own workout. Enjoy Silhouette,we certainly did :)

I am sort of a gym rat and am curious about the gym on Solstice class, specifically Silhouette. Is there enough open space for doing your own bootcamp or cardio routine? We have sailed RCI for years, and last year when I sailed Serenade, I was very unhappy with how small that gym is! Can anyone compare to RCI's Freedom or Voyager class gyms, please?

It's a decent sized gym. Obviously not a Planet Fitness type gym. Usually about 2:30-4:30 the gym wasn't too busy. This was on the Eclipse during my recent 14 day trip.

I don't think you should have a problem. I've had plenty of space for my workout including lots of weighted walking lunges. On occasion I've had to wait for a bench. I usually go late morning after it's calmed down a bit.

Agree - there is plenty of room once everyone is gone :) It will be busy in the morning so yes, you can get a workout in but sometimes space is limited. So if you must go during peak times then you will be disappointed. Go other times you'll have the gym to yourself.

They also have a room off to the side where they hold classes and that is available when no classes are in progress.

Last cruise there was one evening that I ended up working out around 7 pm. Ha ha, no one there :) Hit the hot tub after then showered and enjoyed the evening. You don't have to go to those extremes.

Agree with others on the quality of the S Class gyms, Silhouette's is quite nice. However, if you are looking for enough room to do a boot-camp style workout with plyos, it's going to be difficult. They have a single rower that gets lots of use and the other open areas within the gym are designed more for relaxing than movement. I tried doing something similar on Reflection last summer and gave up after the second day. Just too hard to work around the crowds. Bottom line, you cannot set up stations to move from one set to another set because people will want to use the space you are leaving.

I was on the Silhouette, a month ago, you won't be disappointed. Couldn't ell you when the peak hours are; whenever I went, it was never overcrowded.

• 4 months later...
I've scanned previous threads re: Solstice gym equipment, and kettle bells weren't available in 2014. Does anyone know if the ship equipped with kettle bells now in 2017.

Just got off Equinox last week, no kettle bells.

My favorite gym amenity: the cold towels!

• 3 weeks later...

What does the fitness center on stolstice have in terms of free weights? I don't mean machines. How heavy do the dumbells go? Do they have kettlebells and if so how heavy? Any preset weight bars? I saw those on a couple of NCL ships.

What does the fitness center on stolstice have in terms of free weights? I don't mean machines. How heavy do the dumbells go? Do they have kettlebells and if so how heavy? Any preset weight bars? I saw those on a couple of NCL ships.

No kettle bells. Dumbells go up to 75lbs. No barbells.

They also have bosuballs, medicine balls, exercise balls, foam rollers.