Best Things to Buy Before Cruise

kimma11

I also work at a school and am used to wearing a lanyard. I tried the S&S card in my pocket once and lost it- never again! Ditto on meds that you need and a power strip. I also bring highlighter- one color per person (for marking up the Funtimes) and Post-It notes to leave messages on the mirror. Doing laundry -or having it done for you- is great so that you pack less. Check Pinterest for ideas on Cruise Capsule wardrobes. I also bought a waterproof camera pouch at a sporting goods store. My daughter used it to hold her cellphone for taking pictures. I tested it with Kleenex in a sink full of water- no leaks. My DD loved it and still uses it- good for Color Runs, too! I also bring a travel diary. I read years ago in Real Simple magazine that one couple makes a list of 100 great moments on each trip. Every night we list our favorite moments of the day. We now make sure we use more detail as some of the moments we no longer understand! Have fun and bring your sense of adventure. When things go wrong- and they will- remember that those will become some of your funniest memories.

Be careful with power strips: I am told the ones with a circuit breaker built in are now forbidden because they are a fire hazard in the marine electrical environment.

electric strip for all your devices but don't pull it out until later in the day. we had two cabins and we each had one and they confiscated them during the security sweep, had a letter on in our cabin saying it was a hazard.

Actually, bring one that's safe to use: Don't bring one that is a known hazard that can cause problems which could make your trip unpleasant or actually endanger people.

Have fun and bring your sense of adventure. When things go wrong- and they will- remember that those will become some of your funniest memories.

Such a true statement! One of my best memories is our first - and only - camping trip with my step-children. Twenty years later and they still laugh about how awful it was!

Another great story is when hubby and I went to Estes Park, CO on vacation and decided to take stuff with us to make our own meals. We forgot half of it packed up at home. I blamed him, he blamed me. We laugh about it now!

I would bring Bonine for motion sickness. I take one every night starting the night before I cruise. Before Bonine I got motion sickness, since I started taking it no problems. I survived a cruise that was so rough there were puke bags hung from the railings (RCCL).

I also always bring a lanyard for my S&S card. I don't care how geeky it looks. I have one that fits my card and has a zipper part for some cash for tipping. So much easier than carrying a purse. Especially after a few cocktails, I get paranoid that I might leave the purse somewhere, until a few more cocktails. Then I just don't care, which could be a problem. LOL.

Edited by Can'tWait2SetSail
Added

For seven day cruise, I pack:

1 suit (Add a ruffled shirt: instant tux)

several different long sleeve shirts to get maximum use out of suit

1 pair of cargo pants

1 pair of shorts

1 swimsuit

lots of extra socks and underwear -- I may have a dark pair of socks and a white pair of socks for each day. Socks are easy to shove in little packing crevices, and it helps keep my feet clean and dry. Then I have white "day" socks and dark "dinner" socks!

And didn't your mom always tell you to wear clean underwear in case you got in an accident?

"nice" shoes for evening wear, "comfortable" shoes for day wear.

In the past, I have gone all-Hawaiian, all the time with shirts. But this time I am going with wrinkle-resistant golf shirts.

Definitely take meds you might get need -immodium, pain reliever, etc.They take up very little room and are very expensive for on board. Younger ladies, take your feminine supplies. The are also very expensive on board and the shops will likely not have your preferred brand. (Don't assume you won't need them; Traveling can play havoc with cycles.) Take plenty of socks and underwear. I always take an insulated cup -RTIC work just as good as YETI at a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One of the best packing tips I ever read on this board was laundry clothes pins. If you have a balcony room, they're handy for clipping the drapes shut, keeping that thin line of light from hitting you in the face first thing in the morning. And of course you can use them to hang bathing suits up to dry.

I keep some in my toiletry bag all of the time now; they're useful almost every time we travel (hotel rooms included).

Definitely take meds you might get need -immodium, pain reliever, etc.They take up very little room and are very expensive for on board. Younger ladies, take your feminine supplies. The are also very expensive on board and the shops will likely not have your preferred brand. (Don't assume you won't need them; Traveling can play havoc with cycles.) Take plenty of socks and underwear. I always take an insulated cup -RTIC work just as good as YETI at a fraction of the cost.

I can definitely agree with that tidbit of info. I always make sure to carry a "medicine bag" with me when traveling. It's simply a cosmetic bag that has different over the counter medicines (tums, ibuprofen, advil, pepto, sinus pills, nyquil/dayquil, etc.) tampons, hair ties, tide pen, sewing kit, and any other small item you may need but might not have access too while traveling. It's definitely saved me a few times and i won't travel without it!

I purchased a 16-can soft cooler with a removable hard liner before our recent cruise. It acted as the perfect ice bucket in our room which did not have a refrigerator and the hard liner kept it from leaking as ice melted. We asked our cabin steward to refill the ice daily and always had cold cans of soda (which we brought onto the ship). By far the best purchase for our cruise.

Hi! Our first time sailing.... what is the need for the empty gift card for the safe? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

the safe is locked and unlocked by swiping a card. I think it tells you to use your credit card but I lock that up. I've used my sign and sail card in the past. An empty gift card if you have one would likely work as well.

Edited by Saint Greg

the safe is locked and unlocked by swiping a card. I think it tells you to use your credit card but I lock that up. I've used my sign and sail card in the past. An empty gift card if you have one would likely work as well.

Awesome so any store gift card will work?

Awesome so any store gift card will work?

I've never tried it but that's what the person I was responding to said...it seems like it should. And it wouldn't have your name, room number, and the ability to open your room door should you lose it like a sign and sail card.

Ditto the trip insurance. You never need it until you do.

:cool:

This site is littered with people telling stories who wish they had gotten trip insurance and then when they did not looking for ways to get some relief.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am a new cruiser. Tell me the stuff you are glad to have bought prior to the cruise. I have read someone post a must buy is waterproof cameras as they are so expensive on board. I also plan on buying the Cheers package as I know this will save us money. So list your tips on must have purchases prior to cruising. :D

Make sure to take a highlighter. You can use it to highlight the things that you want to see and do in the Fun Times circular that you get every night in your cabin. Print is usually small and the highlighter makes it easier to see.

• 2 weeks later...
the best $20 you can spend will be on an inexpensive white noise machine. Get the sound spa from Bed Bath and Beyond. very small and lightweight but has a wide range of sound and volume.

You will be able to sleep no matter what time of day or where your cabin is located !

[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app