Changing from Celebrity to Azamara - Will I love the difference?

beaveh

Me and hubby have tried a couple of cruises on RCL, then a couple on Celebrity S class ships( found it a much nicer/ posher experience) We are now thinking of an Azamara cruise for the med in the summer.

We love good service / friendly staff and great food. These things all seem to be perfect for an Azamara cruise. I like the fact the ships are smaller. We also like to have a variation in dining that Azamara seems to offer without the cover charges the speciality resturants on X have.

We liked the Celebrity touches of iced face cloths when you rejoined the ship after a days excursion, sparkly wine on ice when you embarked ( concierge / aqua class). Foot stools on the balcony.

We like port visits a bit of lounging by the pool, gym and saunas and aren't overly fussed about shows on board. Is Azamara a good choice?

Edited by beaveh

Hello beaveh,

We would love you to give our ships a try!

One point of clarification, our Specialty Restaurants are complimentary for all suite guests. Otherwise there is a $30 pp cover charge.

Here's the link to our dining page: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/life-onboard/dining-wines

We also offer dining packages: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/onboard-packages/specialty-dining-packages

We did not try the Specialty Restaurants but found the food and service on Azamara to be of an exceptionally high standard.

The show Lounge is more suited to Cabaret acts. The sets are simpler than those found on Celebrity RCCL but the quality of singers and dancers is every bit as guide. The entertainment team are much involved in day time activities which means you can get to know them as people.

So you should enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello beaveh,

We would love you to give our ships a try!

One point of clarification, our Specialty Restaurants are complimentary for all suite guests. Otherwise there is a $30 pp cover charge.

Here's the link to our dining page: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/life-onboard/dining-wines

We also offer dining packages: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/onboard-packages/specialty-dining-packages

Thanks for the clarification about dinning - I hadn't picked the difference up! Due to the cost, we would be booking as lowly balcony state room passengers but still want to make sure we enjoy everything.

I see that aqualina and prime c are listed a specialty restaurants, does that mean that main dinning, patio and cafe dining are included in the base price? - That would give us a nice choice!

Edited by beaveh

Thanks for the clarification about dinning - I hadn't picked the difference up! Due to the cost, we would be booking as lowly balcony state room passengers but still want to make sure we enjoy everything.

I see that aqualina and prime c are listed a specialty restaurants, does that mean that main dinning, patio and cafe dining are included in the base price? - That would give us a nice choice!

Yes, just Aqualina and Prime C are extra charge. I enjoy eating in the buffet much more on Azamara. Whilst they are smaller and offer less choice I always find something to eat and like the fact it is easier to navigate than Celebrity. The theme nights there are very nice and I don't feel the need to always dine in one of the other restaurants. The Patio is a nice half way house. Casual and outside, but with a nice evening menu and table service. At $30 I feel it is well worth trying at least one of the specialty restaurants.

I've cruised quite a bit on both lines and have just come back from a b2b on Journey followed by a b2b on Reflection. This brought sharply into focus the differing service on each and how much more superior I feel it is on Azamara. Friendly in a genuine way. The ships don't have the wow factor of the S-Class, but are nonetheless very nice following their refurbishment earlier this year. The standard cabins and balconies are smaller so be prepared for that, but I've never had an issue on Azamara. It's never too far to walk to the public spaces! Most importantly for me is the peace and quiet you can still get on Journey and Quest. I've gotten fed up of the noise on Celebrity.

Azamara isn't for everyone, but I'd say give them a try.

Beaveh: I agree that you should give AZ a serious look, maybe a 7-day to see if it is to your taste? Some clarification on dining: The Discoveries Main Dining Room, Patio & buffet are all free (included in your fare). I think the food quality is better on AZ, definitely way better in the buffet. The fitness center and saunas are better on AZ because they are less crowded. I echo others that I prefer the peace and quiet on AZ to the hubbub on X. And I add that one big attraction for me is the conviviality among guests. Passengers are very friendly and you really get to know each other

I have never felt the need to eat in Speciality restaurants, as I have specials made for me as I am Lactose Intolerant.

There is a daily Chef's special on Azamara which is served in the Window's cafe. However, it can also be ordered if you eat in Discoveries.

There was also food bought at the local markets by the Chef and HD ( e.g. Mussels and Cheeses in France and Cod in St John's Newfoundland)

I had not come across this on Celebrity.

Here is a link to someone else's opinion of the superb food on Azamara, which I really think surpassed any I had had served before hand.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2409860

Edited by upwarduk

We cruise both lines almost exclusively and we are very active young 40-50 age range. If the Celebrity night life and bar scene is something you enjoy, then you will miss it on Azamara as we do.

That is about it for us although we do like the restaurant options on S-class ships too.

Just cannot beat Azamara's service/staff/crew, ports and length of time in them.

Edited by LOP

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a T/A on "Sillie"...and TBH..it will be our last T/A on X.

We are Elite Plus...I hate that name...but that does show that we have sailed with X and AZ many times...so I hope that gives me some "cred" here.

I realized about the first night that we had not done a T/A on X for many years...and now I know that we won't do any in the future!!! It was a ZOO the entire time at the "Elite" events...either the "corporate office" ...blamed over and over again for the lack of pre-planning...or the staff on board ...did not plan for the 1200 Elite and Elite Plus members on board!!!! And I suddenly remembered ...we had done our T/As recently on AZ or O...a much smaller ship and far less passengers..and a very different passenger "Mix".

so...I have '17 and '18 booked on AZ for the fall T/As...looking forward to again enjoying the ship and the staff and our friends who might be on board!!! I will still use X for the other cruises...eg. Asia and NZ/OZ in '17 and '18...because TBH I can't afford the rates that AZ charges for these type of cruises...so...we do what we have to do, right??? LuAnn

We have also booked our first Azamara cruise, Barcelona to Rome in Oct 2017. Looking forward to trying out a smaller ship but also to try out a cruise line we bave heard so many wonderful things about. We have a club continent suite and I was told it came with one dinner in each of the specialty restaurants. Perhaps another reason I wanted to try Azamara is because it offers ports that Celebrity does not go to.

We have always enjoyed our cruises on Celebrity and met many great people whom we continue to sail with.. I have eaten in the MDR, Blu and Luminea. While Blu and Luminea are much better ( like eating in a specialty) I have always found something good in the MDR. Following our Azamara cruise we will be returning home on the Silhouette TA.

While we don't plan on giving up on Celebrity, we hope to really enjoy cruising on Azamara also, as this will open up new ports for us to visit.

Hi LuAnn, it's interesting to me that you so regularly sail on TransAtlantic crossings. I've started a new AZamara Asks question on our sub-forum of the same name. I'd love to hear from everyone who loves TransAtlantics!

And, thank you for booking our 2017 and 2018 TA's!

Here's the link:

AZamara Asks! - Q30 - TransAtlantics: What Do You Love About Them?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51613871#post51613871

Hi LuAnn, it's interesting to me that you so regularly sail on TransAtlantic crossings. I've started a new AZamara Asks question on our sub-forum of the same name. I'd love to hear from everyone who loves TransAtlantics!

And, thank you for booking our 2017 and 2018 TA's!

Here's the link:

AZamara Asks! - Q30 - TransAtlantics: What Do You Love About Them?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51613871#post51613871

We are done with X...for the T/As...and as mentioned we are booked for AZ for '17 and '18....and so looking forward to those sailings!!! I could just get in a ship and sail around in a circle...I love the ocean and the time on board...I really don't need any ports...any more...as I have been lucky enough to sail the 7 continents...and found AZ a number of years ago...you/they are the best!!!! LuAnn

We just returned from a T/A on "Sillie"...and TBH..it will be our last T/A on X.

We are Elite Plus...I hate that name...but that does show that we have sailed with X and AZ many times...so I hope that gives me some "cred" here.

I realized about the first night that we had not done a T/A on X for many years...and now I know that we won't do any in the future!!! It was a ZOO the entire time at the "Elite" events...either the "corporate office" ...blamed over and over again for the lack of pre-planning...or the staff on board ...did not plan for the 1200 Elite and Elite Plus members on board!!!! And I suddenly remembered ...we had done our T/As recently on AZ or O...a much smaller ship and far less passengers..and a very different passenger "Mix".

so...I have '17 and '18 booked on AZ for the fall T/As...looking forward to again enjoying the ship and the staff and our friends who might be on board!!! I will still use X for the other cruises...eg. Asia and NZ/OZ in '17 and '18...because TBH I can't afford the rates that AZ charges for these type of cruises...so...we do what we have to do, right??? LuAnn

Hi LuAnne: We agree. The crowds and activities on X are not our cup of tea, and we do love the crossings on AZ. But since we last saw you, we've done 3 crossings on the Queen Mary 2 and will be on another in December. It works for us, in spite of some issues. We recently booked a crossing on O for 2017 and are looking forward to it for the food. Best wishes to you!

Hi LuAnne: We agree. The crowds and activities on X are not our cup of tea, and we do love the crossings on AZ. But since we last saw you, we've done 3 crossings on the Queen Mary 2 and will be on another in December. It works for us, in spite of some issues. We recently booked a crossing on O for 2017 and are looking forward to it for the food. Best wishes to you!

We have been on QM2 once...when she was almost brand new...the "Fall Colors" R/T out of NYC...and we LOVED her...and the experience!!! My only concern is how "dressy" it can be?..your thoughts on that??? KK doesn't like the "coat and tie" much anymore...as I'm sure you remember!!!??? :) We are trying to put together a group of past CC cruisers for '18 and one is a single and I think Cunard offers some good deals for a single passenger so thinking about trying to "cobble" that together...maybe the one from NYC to Hamburg or the other direction!!!

Will this be your first time on O? Sorry..can't remember? I think you will love it ...and the food is the best...IMO. Love "Red Ginger"...and just the entire experience ...but it is different than AZ. AZ is much friendlier and the interaction between the staff/passengers is such fun...plus we love our AZ friends we meet along the way!!!! :)....will you two be onboard for the fall '17 or '18 crossings on AZ? Would so like to try and spend more time getting to know you!!!! LuAnn

We have been on QM2 once...when she was almost brand new...the "Fall Colors" R/T out of NYC...and we LOVED her...and the experience!!! My only concern is how "dressy" it can be?..your thoughts on that??? KK doesn't like the "coat and tie" much anymore...as I'm sure you remember!!!??? :) We are trying to put together a group of past CC cruisers for '18 and one is a single and I think Cunard offers some good deals for a single passenger so thinking about trying to "cobble" that together...maybe the one from NYC to Hamburg or the other direction!!!

Will this be your first time on O? Sorry..can't remember? I think you will love it ...and the food is the best...IMO. Love "Red Ginger"...and just the entire experience ...but it is different than AZ. AZ is much friendlier and the interaction between the staff/passengers is such fun...plus we love our AZ friends we meet along the way!!!! :)....will you two be onboard for the fall '17 or '18 crossings on AZ? Would so like to try and spend more time getting to know you!!!! LuAnn

Hi Again LuAnn: We are not big fans of the dress-ups on Cunard, but we put up with it and found the work-around of wearing black suits and white shirts with ties, something that we can use while traveling as well as on the ship. The crossings schedules on the QM2 work for us. This will be our first time on "O" so we will see if it is our cup of tea. We got a good deal and are looking forward to trying something new. Have no more bookings on AZ as their schedule and crossing itineraries do not fit our plans for 2017 or early 2018, but I'm sure we will return someday. It would be fun to spend some more time with you and Ken. Meanwhile, happy travels!

Just booked our first trip on Celebrity. Had sworn never to cruise on a 2000+ boat ever again but this is the only one that will get us from A to B at the time we need to get back to Europe. Azamara does not do this route until a couple months later. Comforting to know that quite a few Azamara fans also cruise on Celebrity so shall hope for the best.

Hi Again LuAnn: We are not big fans of the dress-ups on Cunard, but we put up with it and found the work-around of wearing black suits and white shirts with ties, something that we can use while traveling as well as on the ship. The crossings schedules on the QM2 work for us. This will be our first time on "O" so we will see if it is our cup of tea. We got a good deal and are looking forward to trying something new. Have no more bookings on AZ as their schedule and crossing itineraries do not fit our plans for 2017 or early 2018, but I'm sure we will return someday. It would be fun to spend some more time with you and Ken. Meanwhile, happy travels!

I will be anxious to hear what you think about "O"....what/when are you sailing with them? LuAnn

We are about to do the opposite in January going from Azamara to Celebrity though we are cushioning the blow with a slightly larger suite - after all the delights of a small ship and living very happily with limitations we do not even notice now it is going to be interesting to see how we react to the larger, busier, nosier ship. Its an itinerary driven decision and we have already decided to take a $5 fine jar with us - every time we say "its not like this on Azamara" there is going to be a fine. The idea is to condition ourselves to maybe think something but not to waste precious cruise time verbalising it or dwelling on it.

Lets see what happens - though our earplugs are being packed:)

Edited by uktog

We are about to do the opposite in January going from Azamara to Celebrity though we are cushioning the blow with a slightly larger suite - after all the delights of a small ship and living very happily with limitations we do not even notice now it is going to be interesting to see how we react to the larger, busier, nosier ship. Its an itinerary driven decision and we have already decided to take a $5 fine jar with us - every time we say "its not like this on Azamara" there is going to be a fine. The idea is to condition ourselves to maybe think something but not to waste precious cruise time verbalising it or dwelling on it.

Such a good idea!!! ;) We sailed once with friends on O who had recently been on Regent...and the entire trip was "Well...this was different on Regent"...and it drove us crazy!!! :eek: Good to go with an open mind!!! Enjoy...where are you cruising to on X? LuAnn

[quote=uktog;51624920

Its an itinerary driven decision and we have already decided to take a $5 fine jar with us - every time we say "its not like this on Azamara" there is going to be a fine.

I think you may possibly have enough "fines" for the deposit on your next Azamara cruise Ann! :)

I banned myself using the "A" word in October on Reflection unless requested just in case;)

We have cruises on all the Celebrity ships. We missed the Century class of Celebrity ships.

We are looking at sailing on Azamara because of its sizes of ships and their restaurant outstanding reviews.

We are in our late 60's and enjoy fine dining. Is Azamara a good fit for us ?

Edited by cruise47

We have cruises on all the Celebrity ships. We missed the Century class of Celebrity ships.

We are looking at sailing on Azamara because of its sizes of ships and their restaurant outstanding reviews.

We are in our late 60's and enjoy fine dining. Is Azamara a good fit for us ?

Yes I think so, I was impressed with the variety.

Read this report from our recent TA on Quest:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2409860

Edited by upwarduk