Drum roll please..........

Lois R

....First, I am glad review has brought out so many kind and informative

replies.

And now......I have been home just over one week...really?:eek: and

I have booked my 2nd River cruise already!

I am going on AMASonata from Amsterdam to Basel for May 2017.

It is "THE ENCHANTING RHINE" and looks really good:)

I had such an awesome time and for this one I will actually have 2 days

pre-cruise in Amsterdam so I will at least have time to see a couple of

museums. If you recall, I flew in only 1 day early on this first cruise.

I learned something;)....and really like Amsterdam so am giving myself

another day. AND I will stay in Basel overnight at the end to see some

of it too.:)

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the help before my first cruise

and I am sure I will have questions for this one too. Now I have to

wait another year:D:eek:

That's pretty awesome. I think we will probably want to do the same thing but for the second one I probably won't go so over the top like I have on this trip. I'm sure it can be addicting. Travel in general is for me.

That's pretty awesome. I think we will probably want to do the same thing but for the second one I probably won't go so over the top like I have on this trip. I'm sure it can be addicting. Travel in general is for me.

May I ask what is it you are doing that is over the top?

replies.

Wow, Lois, that's awesome! We sailed on Sonata and loved it (her). I would really like to do the cruise you have chosen....wish I was going along!

Sharon

Amsterdam is on my bucket list. I was trying to figure out how to visit it on this upcoming River cruise but I don't think I can. Just gives me another excuse to go back. :) We are going on our first River cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg in June. I have read so much from the difference of ocean cruise to River cruise. I am very excited.

I know you will have a great trip. The hardest part is the waiting.

You did a great review of you first river cruise. I enjoyed it.

Lois: So glad you had a good time and I loved your review!! Amsterdam to Basel is wonderful...we did it last year and I only wish we had more time. Each port was lovely with so many things to see and do. What's your itinerary? Ours was with Vantage so they could vary a little but probably not much.

Congratulations, Lois! Go for it. I knew you would catch the bug.

I got quotes from my TA, and will be booking another Danube cruise this week. This time I'm doing the eastern side - Bucharest to Budapest. I decide to start in Bucharest rather than Budapest because I was able to explore Budapest quite a bit on my first river cruise last year.

Something leaving from Amsterdam is definitely going to be on my list for 2018. Do you have any ocean cruises booked?

Roz

Lois: So glad you had a good time and I loved your review!! Amsterdam to Basel is wonderful...we did it last year and I only wish we had more time. Each port was lovely with so many things to see and do. What's your itinerary? Ours was with Vantage so they could vary a little but probably not much.

Hi:)...yes, I loved it:)

My itinerary is:

Amsterdam (this time I will get in 2 days early)

Cologne

Koblenz

Rhine Gorge

Rudesheim

Mannheim

Strasbourg

Breisach

Basel

There are 4 days of land options post cruise but I really cannot be

away that long. I will probably stay in Basel for the day/night though

and fly home the next day.

I do understand your other post but it is funny......I am just starting my

"RIVER CRUISING" and you are going to Ocean......;)

Edited by Lois R

Congratulations, Lois! Go for it. I knew you would catch the bug.

I got quotes from my TA, and will be booking another Danube cruise this week. This time I'm doing the eastern side - Bucharest to Budapest. I decide to start in Bucharest rather than Budapest because I was able to explore Budapest quite a bit on my first river cruise last year.

Something leaving from Amsterdam is definitely going to be on my list for 2018. Do you have any ocean cruises booked?

Roz

Hi Roz,:) I have a weekend cruise booked in November with a group of

friends I know from Cruse Critic. We all live around the state of Florida.

That is a 3 nighter...other than that? Nope, I have nothing else booked.

I am actually trying to figure out what to do.:eek:....I have quite a bit

of vacation time available and so I am beginning to do some research.

There are not a whole lot of cruises in October (to the Caribbean). I

haven't done a land trip in almost 15 years and not sure I want to....

Hi:)...yes, I loved it:)

My itinerary is:

Amsterdam (this time I will get in 2 days early)

Cologne

Koblenz

Rhine Gorge

Rudesheim

Mannheim

Strasbourg

Breisach

Basel

There are 4 days of land options post cruise but I really cannot be

away that long. I will probably stay in Basel for the day/night though

and fly home the next day.

I do understand your other post but it is funny......I am just starting my

"RIVER CRUISING" and you are going to Ocean......;)

I do everything backwards!!! :D Your itinerary is a little different than ours but not a lot. If you've been to Cologne before let me know, we've went out on our own and had a blast...not to be missed in Cologne: the berliners that JFK made famous....best in the world. Rudesheim is also lovely...we were there on our first river cruise...as I recall its a great place for blown glass....or cafe sitting. Breisach and Strasbourg were nice too. I know everyone loves Strasbourg....I enjoyed it but was a little "underwhelmed"....boat ride was the best part. Will you have a opportunity to visit Luxembourg? It was an optional on our trip, but worth every penny....poured rain and we still loved it! the American cemetery and guide explaining Battle of the Bulge was amazing...and Porta Negra in Trier is not to be missed if you're stopping there.

Edited by Hydrokitty

I do everything backwards!!! :D Your itinerary is a little different than ours but not a lot. If you've been to Cologne before let me know, we've went out on our own and had a blast...not to be missed in Cologne: the berliners that JFK made famous....best in the world. Rudesheim is also lovely...we were there on our first river cruise...as I recall its a great place for blown glass....or cafe sitting. Breisach and Strasbourg were nice too. I know everyone loves Strasbourg....I enjoyed it but was a little "underwhelmed"....boat ride was the best part. Will you have a opportunity to visit Luxembourg? It was an optional on our trip, but worth every penny....poured rain and we still loved it! the American cemetery and guide explaining Battle of the Bulge was amazing...and Porta Negra in Trier is not to be missed if you're stopping there.

I have never visited any of the places on the cruise.....just like I had

never visited any of the places on my first cruise. It is all new:)

My most recent cruise to Europe was to the Med back in 2012 on

Celebrity's Equinox.......we went to Rome, Sicily, Naples, Athens,

Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes and Turkey.....so all these Northern

European cities are new for me.:) I don't know recall seeing Luxembourg

on the itinerary anywhere.

May I ask what is it you are doing that is over the top?

I generally would never spend this much on a single vacation but so far here's our plan:

- Flying Business/First from Hawaii to Prague, Paris to Hawaii via Dallas.

- Rented an apartment right on Old Town Square in Prague.

- Doing some of the usual stuff in Prague but nothing too over the top. I did book both a sunrise and a sunset photography tour.

- Booked the Royal Suite on the Artistry II (Avalon). That was by far the biggest expense.

- In Paris I have booked a three hour photoshoot with an amazing photographer which will end with a gourmet picnic lunch in a park near the Eiffel tower (which will also be photographed). I'm having my hair and make up done by a couple coming to our hotel room to make me look all spiffy :).

- Finally, my husband, who rarely makes any requests for our trips, wanted to dine in the Eiffel Tower so I arranged for that on his birthday. I got him the Dinner Gift box which includes a tour of the kitchen, meet up with the Chef, and a 6 course meal with wine pairings.

Lots of other things happening like a night bus tour that serves a nice dinner while you take in the sights followed by the Crazy Horse Cabaret.

I'm really excited for all the things we have planned. He also doesn't know it yet but when we land in Dallas, his son will be there to meet us so we can all have dinner together. He lives with his mom so my hubby doesn't get to see him much.

I generally would never spend this much on a single vacation but so far here's our plan:

- Doing some of the usual stuff in Prague but nothing too over the top. I did book both a sunrise and a sunset photography tour.

- Booked the Royal Suite on the Artistry II (Avalon). That was by far the biggest expense.

- In Paris I have booked a three hour photoshoot with an amazing photographer which will end with a gourmet picnic lunch in a park near the Eiffel tower (which will also be photographed). I'm having my hair and make up done by a couple coming to our hotel room to make me look all spiffy :).

- Finally, my husband, who rarely makes any requests for our trips, wanted to dine in the Eiffel Tower so I arranged for that on his birthday. I got him the Dinner Gift box which includes a tour of the kitchen, meet up with the Chef, and a 6 course meal with wine pairings.

Lots of other things happening like a night bus tour that serves a nice dinner while you take in the sights followed by the Crazy Horse Cabaret.

I'm really excited for all the things we have planned. He also doesn't know it yet but when we land in Dallas, his son will be there to meet us so we can all have dinner together. He lives with his mom so my hubby doesn't get to see him much.

Have you taken any National Geographic/Lindblad photography tours? I know they would fit into this same over-the-top budget category, but it sounds like you would appreciate them.

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned:)...wish I could afford

business class. I walked through 1st class, then business class and I

was in Economy Plus:rolleyes:......boy, those folks have LOTS OF ROOM.

I am sure you will have an awesome trip:) and I am sure your husband

will love it when he sees his son too:)...THAT is an awesome surprise!

Have you taken any National Geographic/Lindblad photography tours? I know they would fit into this same over-the-top budget category, but it sounds like you would appreciate them.

I have looked at them but would not want to drag my poor husband along. He's very patient and understanding when I want to take pictures but I don't want to put him through a full tour of it. There's a great Washington based photographer by the name of Jack Grahm that does small guided tours to Iceland, all over Vietnam and that area, and a bunch of other places. One day I will try to take a tour with him...

I'm looking forward to it for sure. I hate trying to cram my poor husband into coach. He's 6'2 and a pro heavy weight body builder. Even a short flight in coach is very uncomfortable for him. This is a long trip for us. Thankfully I had a lot of AA miles and was able to book us for a pretty good price, even with all of the fees BA added on. Way cheaper than booking and paying full price.

I am so excited...I just wish July would hurry up and get here.

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned:)...wish I could afford

business class. I walked through 1st class, then business class and I

was in Economy Plus:rolleyes:......boy, those folks have LOTS OF ROOM.

I am sure you will have an awesome trip:) and I am sure your husband

will love it when he sees his son too:)...THAT is an awesome surprise!

Lois,

I'm glad to see that you travel, even alone. There's so much of the world to see and nothing should hold you back. A few years ago my aunt came out to house sit for me while we went on a trip (one advantage to living in Hawaii, easy to find a house/pet sitter when you offer a free place to stay and a car in paradise). She brought a friend of hers that really wanted to experience Pearl Harbor. It was the first vacation she had taken in the 15 years since her husband had passed. She stayed home, crocheted and took care of her cat. By the end of the trip, we had her zip lining :). She just stopped experiencing life when she lost her husband. No matter what path your life takes, you should never stop experiencing everything it has to offer.

Look forward to reading your planning for your next cruise.

Rebel

Lois,

I'm glad to see that you travel, even alone. There's so much of the world to see and nothing should hold you back. A few years ago my aunt came out to house sit for me while we went on a trip (one advantage to living in Hawaii, easy to find a house/pet sitter when you offer a free place to stay and a car in paradise). She brought a friend of hers that really wanted to experience Pearl Harbor. It was the first vacation she had taken in the 15 years since her husband had passed. She stayed home, crocheted and took care of her cat. By the end of the trip, we had her zip lining :). She just stopped experiencing life when she lost her husband. No matter what path your life takes, you should never stop experiencing everything it has to offer.

Look forward to reading your planning for your next cruise.

Rebel

Good morning, nice post:)

I am 58 and have been divorced for over 30 years (never re-married).

And yes, I love to travel:D....forturnetly for me, I like my own company;)

AND I meet people very easily. And staying home is just not an option.

I do work and will be for quite a few more years......(gotta work to

cruise)..

Lois R,

congratulations on choosing another river cruise. I am sure you will have a great time on the classic Rhine tour. The castles are fascinating. Do try and make it up to Marksburg. The castle is great, the shop next to it is nice for children's gifts and playful grown-ups souvenirs :).

Luxembourg is unlikely to be an optional on your trip, neither is Trier likely to be included as both towns are quite a way from Koblenz especially on a coach. Normally not that much time is spent in Koblenz to make a trip that far out feasable for a cruise company.

Trier is the oldest town in Germany and very interesting, Luxembourg is also worth exploring, if you do have the chance...

By the way, I mean exploring, if you like to see, albeit slightly pricey, shops, the Mittelstraße in Cologne is a good place to go. Past Neumarkt and the church St. Aposteln. Bought myself something very nice there two years ago.

In Mannheim you will be stopping quite likely for the coach trip to Speyer. Mannheim is interesting in its own right with a palace and an old town planned on a grid (17th century), it is not medieval therefore very different from Speyer.

http://www.tourist-mannheim.de/en/Home

http://www.speyer.de/sv_speyer/en/Tourism/

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

replies.

So nice to read this Lois. Glad you liked Amsterdam.We never made a rivercruise but have been in the Rhine region a few times since it is a short drive from The Netherlands. Very nice there with a lot of history, castles and of course wines!

In Basel hotels will give a free pass for public transport.

I donot think you have been there last time, but if you have time in Amsterdam and like to see some still working windmills, check this:

http://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/

It is just a 30 minutes busride from Amsterdam.

It is close to the place we live, so by that time maybe a meeting is possible.

This sounds absolutely fabulous!!!! Your husband will LOVE dinner at the Eiffel Tower....followed by a romantic cruise on the Seine?

Iceland is a photographer's paradise, IMHO.

This sounds absolutely fabulous!!!! Your husband will LOVE dinner at the Eiffel Tower....followed by a romantic cruise on the Seine?

Iceland is a photographer's paradise, IMHO.

Definitely considering the cruise as well. So much to do and see....hard to fit it all in with such a short time to be there.

Iceland is one of my bucket list places.