Okay, so what's the best thing you've eaten in a HA cruise... and the worst?

jeepers13

The Master Chef Table is our best. Enjoy all of it :) Food is always delicious, beautiful setting,superb service. Who can ask for any more?

Worst - scrambled eggs. I avoid the egg "potion" like the plague ;)

Best: some kind of dessert at the MDR, frozen, creamy, with a hint of orange.

I cannot say something about worst food, because if I don't like it, I don't eat it. Sometimes I try something I am not sure about, but if it is not what I expect or like to eat I will not eat it.

Best? Cinnamin ice cream (making my mouth water just thinking about it!) and the veal that was on the old Canaletto menu. Oh, and a simple pb&j sandwich that we once ordered from room service along with an icy cold glass of milk. Sure hit the spot after a long 14 days of over indulging on one of the 14 day Alaska itineraries. Sometimes the simple things really ARE the best.:)

Worst? Pizza from the lido. Not enough sauce and not near enough cheese for this cheese lover.

Best: Steak tartar in PG.

Worst: being originally from The Netherlands and enjoy the smoked mackerel, DH tried Smoked Mackerel on some sort of pasta. Wow! The worst tasting stuff in his whole life. To this day just thinking about it makes us gag.

Edited by OVgirl

First nite roast beef--oh where did it go. Lamb chops, osso bucco, Tamarind food and the Choc. Covered Fortune cookies are my best.

Worst: Pizza, Choc, Vanilla and Strawberry ice cream (Like the special flavors)Most desserts don't excite me. (but this is a good thing):)

Hubby's best is definitely the cold soups. He says they taste like melted ice cream! My favorite is the blue cheese crusted steak in the Pinnacle at lunch. He also loves the Dive-in Burgers. I have to have my crab eggs benedict at least once on a cruise!

Karen

Best - the gnocchi with baby onions (not seen it in a while) and pizzas from the new NYC deli on Koningsdam ...nearly forgot the fries with peanut sauce from the Dutch Cafe ....

Worst - Grits ... What on earth are those things ??? I was expecting something like polenta but they were weird and even my husband wouldn't touch them and he eats anything !

Best - where to start? Lamb in the MDR or Pinnacle Grill, eggs florentine in the Lido, so many great meals! Worst ever was a really dry, tough piece of veal, which was quickly replaced with something much better, that's about all. Love ALL the soups in the MDR, for sure.

I really enjoyed the vast majority of the food on my HAL cruise on Maasdam. Some of the standouts though were the lamb and duck dishes and the prime rib in the MDR and the made-to-order omelets in the Lido. One night nothing really appealed on the dining room menu, so I asked my waiter what he thought and went with his recommendation of the oxtail dish. That was really good!

Now the not so good--room service omelets and scrambled eggs (really no bueno). A very undercooked salmon filet in the MDR (couldn't eat anything that night after that). There was also a mushroom risotto that was pretty meh. The pizza in the Lido. The Dive-In burgers weren't all that exciting--not juicy and too much sodium in them and had to wait forever. Also I did a cooking class where the chef made the food that we prepared in class for real and I wasn't too impressed with the main fish dish. Tasted okay but not warm enough.

Desserts I thought were generally good. I ate those appetizer fruit soups as dessert sometimes, really good. There was a sourdough bread pudding with a berry mixture that was really good. The first baked Alaska I had was the best, but they used different combos of ingredients on other evenings that weren't equally successful.

Best drinkie I had was recommended by our dining room wine steward, something called a Miami Vice, which as I recall was part pina colada and part strawberry daiquiri. The first time I had it, it was great, but ordered it again two nights later and it was mixed differently, not nearly as good.

now I'm hungry....

• 2 weeks later...

Best: Butternut Squash with Huckleberries soup (Le Cirque dinner in PG) which was on the original Le Cirque menu but was taken off a few years ago, so my current Best is Chateaubriand (Le Cirque) followed fairly closely by Zuppa di Pesce (Canaletto)

Worst: Amuse-bouche (Le Cirque), but only because I cannot abide the taste of pate in any way, shape or form.

Best: Steak Diane in the PG (no longer on the menu), next Petite Filet in the PG. Best Dessert: Bread Pudding in Lido.

Worst: Turkey Bacon, sushi.

Ooooh, right! I remember the Steak Diane in the PG. Sure do miss that :(. Now I drown my sorrows in their steak tartare and lamb chops.