Question about guarantee

lbfluffy

We booked an inside guarantee for our cruise on the Crown on November 28. We were assigned cabin 249 on the Baja deck. My TA told me I am still set up to get an uograde if available. Do people get upgraded even after a cabin has been assigned? Thanks.

We booked an inside guarantee for our cruise on the Crown on November 28. We were assigned cabin 249 on the Baja deck. My TA told me I am still set up to get an uograde if available. Do people get upgraded even after a cabin has been assigned? Thanks.

Yes.

But never count on n upgrade, if you book. Guarantee be prepared to get the lowest category.

One remain we stopped doing guarantees.

Yes.

But never count on n upgrade, if you book. Guarantee be prepared to get the lowest category.

One remain we stopped doing guarantees.

Yes, but once assigned into a cabin, they won't be re-assigned back down to a lower category. If still in GTY status, you could end up assigned in that category.

Yes, but once assigned into a cabin, they won't be re-assigned back down to a lower category. If still in GTY status, you could end up assigned in that category.

But the question was could they still get an upgrade, no mention of downgrades that's why I didn't address that issue.

Last year I received 3 upgrades. First I had an inside, then a better inside, then an obstructed view, and then a balcony. Each time a room was assigned. That will probably never happen again. My cruise for next month has had no upgrades.

Today, most Princess upgrades are within a type of cabin. So you could get upgraded from a low category balcony to a higher category balcony.

If they are moving someone to a better type of cabin (ie, inside to oceanview), they usually offer an upsell to generate a little extra revenue.

Princess is moving away from free upgrades.... they're going to get very rarely offered, if at all. Upsells will happen more frequently.

I keep reading this here, but I guess it's from financial release statements and no particular policy change? Did "the word" go out to TA's? Is there any further info or statements on this? (Not questioning your word, just looking for any additional insight or info because it makes one think twice about booking a GTY going forward).

Today, most Princess upgrades are within a type of cabin. So you could get upgraded from a low category balcony to a higher category balcony.

If they are moving someone to a better type of cabin (ie, inside to oceanview), they usually offer an upsell to generate a little extra revenue.

Yes, but are you thinking of what I call a "true upgrade" from an assigned/selected specific cabin to a better category assigned cabin, or are you thinking of a "GTY upgrade" where a customer has purchased a lower category as GTY and they are then assigned in to a higher category? The GTY purchase and then assignment to a better letter grade seems to be the majority of upgrades already.

Anything is possible.

We booked a Balcony GTY on our Grand Med cruise on the Ruby. Booked it almost a year in advance.

We first were sent an email with an upgrade to an Aloha deck Balcony. We accepted it.

We were next upgraded (another email)to a Lido deck balcony which we refused due to location and noise reports.

Finally we were upgraded to a Dolphin Deck Mini suite. We accepted and loved it. Would take another any time!

Also between the time we booked and the mini suite upgrade, we took advantage of 3 price drops for a total of $1000 each.

Hoping for another upgrade on our next cruise, but already have been assigned an excellent balcony and just got a price drop.

Will continue to book Balcony GTYs as so far the results have been nothing but good. :cool:

Dixon

Princess is moving away from free upgrades.... they're going to get very rarely offered, if at all. Upsells will happen more frequently.

Right on, I notice it more and more, and you read it here time and time again. :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

If passengers were not hoping for upsell offers and then paying for them, then there would be more free upgrades.

Princess reconfigured the cabin categories within the past few years. That's resulted in fewer upgrades since they no longer have just a few cabins in the lowest level cabins to sell as guarantees. We've still had good luck with upgrades on our recent cruises but generally within the same type of cabin category.