Just so you know where your tips are going.

Tripper10

Interesting and thanks for sharing. I agree with many of the posters that it would be nice to know what percentage I already shared with the staff. That would help to determine how much, if any, to add as an additional tip. I am curious as to why that is a secret? I know this was a Carnival response. I have not cruised on HAL yet. You said the policy is the same but is a percentage given on HAL or do they not disclose that either?

The policy is the same on Hal. Read the last sentence of the first paragraph.

Have read all of the thread regarding this since joining CC and got so frustrated because not everyone agreed and there were so many differing opinions.

This clarifies the issue totally. Again - thank you.

Okie1946

The pooling of extra tips can be frustrating on any line. We had a wonderful serving team on our recent cruise and tipped them accordingly. We were told it went into a pool. Having had another team on one occasion and finding their service lacking, it would have been my intention to tip the team that gave superb service. Looks like that is impossible on Carnival as well as in Blu on X where we dined last cruise.

Anyone have first hand info to know if HAL is the same as Carnival? Does the crew have the same working agreement with management on all the Carnival Corporation ships?

May I suggest that if folks were to recognize that the cost of the meal includes a "Service Charge" and that a "tip" is something given to the staff for especially good service, that there would be less concern over what % of which is going where?

Ira

I'm not sure how the Carnival Facebook post would be relevant. It says:

Thanks for thinking of the servers at our brilliant steakhouses, you are very kind indeed. The $35 does include a gratuity. I am not going to disclose how much but there is a gratuity involved in the $35 charge plus the servers are given salary, of course, by Carnival. As for not tipping in cash because “servers cheat each other if actual dollars are given and keep the cash, "that is simply incorrect in every way. The servers work in pairs and as a team and would never do that -- it is a job requirement.
You can also add an extra tip on the receipt if you wish and 100% of that extra tip is pooled between all the servers as it is in cash.

But it is also just as important to note that when the bill comes and you pay that the wine steward or bartender or the steakhouse manager is the one to bring the check and punch it through, not the servers.

So I thank all our guests who do think that the food and service at our steakhouses deserve an extra tip and, most of all, I hope you enjoy many more great experiences at our steakhouses. Best wishes.

John

The emphasis is mine. In Holland America's specialty restaurants, there is no receipt on which you can write an extra tip. You can leave cash on the table. You can hand cash to your waiter, waitress or wine steward.

If you've ever had a beverage receipt from HAL, like we did that one time, you won't see a line for an extra tip. There's a flat 15% service charge. If you want to tip extra, it has to be in cash.

If you would like to increase the overall "tip," you can go to the front desk or the Neptune Suite and ask to add to your Hotel Service Charge (HSC.) The HSC is pooled. The cash tips are not. Here's the relevant verbiage from the HAL Employee "House Rules."

All ships have the Rewards for Excellence (RfE) Plan which consists of Hotel Service Charges and Beverage Service Charges. If a guest chooses to adjust out of the RfE Plan and instead provide cash tips to an employee, the employee is required to turn in this cash to their Department Head so the money can be added to the RfE plan.
Any "tips" received above and beyond the guests standard amount may be kept by the crewmember.

Here's a link to the PDF on Welcome2Hal.com, the employee portal. The quote above is from page 22, under "Tipping Not Required Policy."

http://www.welcome2hal.com/publications/house_rules.pdf

As long as you leave you your HSC in place, the employees can keep your cash tip. We've seen some instances where bartenders pool their tips, and we've seen some instances where the servers keep the extra gratuities. We've also been on cruises where certain bars pooled and others did not. (Okay. You caught me. We were in a bar more than once.) I was told that the bartenders in this particular venue agreed to pool their tips. The floor waiters and waitresses did not pool, but rather each kept his or her own gratuities. The written policy, however, says that the employee may keep the tips.

If you read the pages on the Welcome2Hal.com site, you can learn all sorts of fascinating stuff.

Based on what HAL itself has said as far back as the beginning of charging for the Pinnacle Grill, I don't either.

HAL Ship Services just verbally told me that the PP speciality restaurant charge (e.g., Pinnacle Grill) includes the gratuity. It is frustrating and confusing when HAL is not consistent on answering questions. After the call I sent an e-mail to HAL to see what the written answer will be. We did leave a tip when we dined in the PG on the Veendam.

Edited by qsuzi

After a wonderful evening in the PG, I find it distasteful to hand cash to the server or to just leave it on the table.

I always put our tips in an envelope and present it to the server.

I'm not sure how the Carnival Facebook post would be relevant. It says:

Thanks for thinking of the servers at our brilliant steakhouses, you are very kind indeed. The $35 does include a gratuity. I am not going to disclose how much but there is a gratuity involved in the $35 charge plus the servers are given salary, of course, by Carnival. As for not tipping in cash because “servers cheat each other if actual dollars are given and keep the cash, "that is simply incorrect in every way. The servers work in pairs and as a team and would never do that -- it is a job requirement.
You can also add an extra tip on the receipt if you wish and 100% of that extra tip is pooled between all the servers as it is in cash.

But it is also just as important to note that when the bill comes and you pay that the wine steward or bartender or the steakhouse manager is the one to bring the check and punch it through, not the servers.

So I thank all our guests who do think that the food and service at our steakhouses deserve an extra tip and, most of all, I hope you enjoy many more great experiences at our steakhouses. Best wishes.

John

The emphasis is mine. In Holland America's specialty restaurants, there is no receipt on which you can write an extra tip. You can leave cash on the table. You can hand cash to your waiter, waitress or wine steward.

If you've ever had a beverage receipt from HAL, like we did that one time, you won't see a line for an extra tip. There's a flat 15% service charge. If you want to tip extra, it has to be in cash.

If you would like to increase the overall "tip," you can go to the front desk or the Neptune Suite and ask to add to your Hotel Service Charge (HSC.) The HSC is pooled. The cash tips are not. Here's the relevant verbiage from the HAL Employee "House Rules."

All ships have the Rewards for Excellence (RfE) Plan which consists of Hotel Service Charges and Beverage Service Charges. If a guest chooses to adjust out of the RfE Plan and instead provide cash tips to an employee, the employee is required to turn in this cash to their Department Head so the money can be added to the RfE plan.
Any "tips" received above and beyond the guests standard amount may be kept by the crewmember.

Here's a link to the PDF on Welcome2Hal.com, the employee portal. The quote above is from page 22, under "Tipping Not Required Policy."

http://www.welcome2hal.com/publications/house_rules.pdf

As long as you leave you your HSC in place, the employees can keep your cash tip. We've seen some instances where bartenders pool their tips, and we've seen some instances where the servers keep the extra gratuities. We've also been on cruises where certain bars pooled and others did not. (Okay. You caught me. We were in a bar more than once.) I was told that the bartenders in this particular venue agreed to pool their tips. The floor waiters and waitresses did not pool, but rather each kept his or her own gratuities. The written policy, however, says that the employee may keep the tips.

If you read the pages on the Welcome2Hal.com site, you can learn all sorts of fascinating stuff.

I agree. I don't think that the Carnival reference is that relevant. Like you, it is my understanding that cash given over and above the HSC is kept by the individual that you give it to with the following exceptions that I am aware of:

the concierges in the Neptune Lounge and the Pinnacle Grill. I was told by staff there that the tips were shared. I don't know if things have changed or not.

HAL Ship Services just verbally told me that the PP speciality restaurant charge (e.g., Pinnacle Grill) includes the gratuity. It is frustrating and confusing when HAL is not consistent on answering questions. After the call I sent an e-mail to HAL to see what the written answer will be. We did leave a tip when we dined in the PG on the Veendam.

Back, in a distant country, far, far away, the specialty restaurants charged a $5 or $10 fee which was for gratuities for the servers in the specialty restaurants. That was all the fee was for. Back in that far, far away time, I didn't sail HAL a lot, but that was the case on NCL and several other cruise lines that I did sail on.

So, cost should still include gratuities.

One reason that this is a difficult question to answer is that while the corporate policy of HAL may be that individuals may keep any tips above and beyond the HSC and/or the automatic gratuity on bar purchases the individual policy by particular servers and bartenders and housekeeping staff may vary.

It is my understanding, based on conversations with several bar tenders, that tips may be shared various ways depending on the servers involved. Bartenders may share tips only with the bartenders at each individual bar - or with the entire staff of bartenders. And it requires that they all agree. The type of sharing may change each time the staff changes.

Edited by richwmn

One reason that this is a difficult question to answer is that while the corporate policy of HAL may be that individuals may keep any tips above and beyond the HSC and/or the automatic gratuity on bar purchases the individual policy by particular servers and bartenders and housekeeping staff may vary.

It is my understanding, based on conversations with several bar tenders, that tips may be shared various ways depending on the servers involved. Bartenders may share tips only with the bartenders at each individual bar - or with the entire staff of bartenders. And it requires that they all agree. The type of sharing may change each time the staff changes.

That's pretty much the way we know it as well. In my example - which was from the Maasdam in 2012 when we sailed with friends of ours who were the guest chefs for the voyage - the Crow's Nest pooled and the Lido Pool bar did not. I mention our chef friends because they own a restaurant and had a lot of operational questions about how things worked on a ship. We got pretty friendly with one of the bartenders who worked in both venues. He's the one that old us that while he was in the Crow's Nest, "tips went in the jar," and at the Lido Bar "tips went in the pocket." It was by mutual agreement. The Crow's Nest on an R class is very busy and usually had multiple bartenders. The Lido pool bar was often a one man show.

We always figure that once the tip leaves are hand, it's no longer any of our business.

That's pretty much the way we know it as well. In my example - which was from the Maasdam in 2012 when we sailed with friends of ours who were the guest chefs for the voyage - the Crow's Nest pooled and the Lido Pool bar did not. I mention our chef friends because they own a restaurant and had a lot of operational questions about how things worked on a ship. We got pretty friendly with one of the bartenders who worked in both venues. He's the one that old us that while he was in the Crow's Nest, "tips went in the jar," and at the Lido Bar "tips went in the pocket." It was by mutual agreement. The Crow's Nest on an R class is very busy and usually had multiple bartenders. The Lido pool bar was often a one man show.

We always figure that once the tip leaves are hand, it's no longer any of our business.

Bolding is mine and that is about it and sums it up well:)

Edited by kazu

We sail on Saturday and will eat in the specialty restaurants at least 3 times. What would be an acceptable gratuity? A percentage of the surcharge or a number higher than that? I know that it is a personal choice but a bit of direction would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Laurie

I will continue to believe that the $35 PP IS the tip...they won't tell you, because you wouldn't tip additionally, if you knew you (as a couple) were paying $70 in tips!!!! That would mean your food bill would be $350 to incur a $70 tip...and that doesn't include drinks!

I will continue to believe that the $35 PP IS the tip...they won't tell you, because you wouldn't tip additionally, if you knew you (as a couple) were paying $70 in tips!!!! That would mean your food bill would be $350 to incur a $70 tip...and that doesn't include drinks!

May I ask where the $35 pp came from? I thought Pinnacle is $29 PP. Not trying to be picky, but I just want to know for certain if that is what you were referring to.

May I ask where the $35 pp came from? I thought Pinnacle is $29 PP. Not trying to be picky, but I just want to know for certain if that is what you were referring to.

Pretty sure it's not a reflexive 20% tip ($6) on the $29 cost. ;)

I don't belive the OP is correct

Based on what HAL itself has said as far back as the beginning of charging for the Pinnacle Grill, I don't either.

I also do not believe the Pinnacle charge includes a tip.. We've always been told the charge did not include an extra tip..

When we were on the Prinsendam in 2013 for 68 days, we ate in the Pinnacle several times..

Because this question constantly arises I went to the Front Desk & specifically asked if the charge had a tip built in & they told me "NO".. The Front Desk people have no reason to lie to Passengers..

I do believe that many of the waiters & bartenders pool their extra tips, but IMO what they want to do is no concern of us!

SIZE]

We sail on Saturday and will eat in the specialty restaurants at least 3 times. What would be an acceptable gratuity? A percentage of the surcharge or a number higher than that? I know that it is a personal choice but a bit of direction would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Laurie

When eating at the "Pinnacle Grill" we found out at the end that it is not possible to add a tip on the receipt you get ( something which you can do for example in Celebrity's specialty restaurants) so I asked the head waiter about how it's done on HAL ships and he told us that they can keep cash tips. So we did just that: we tipped 10 $ for the two waiters and 5 $ for the sommelier for their first-class service and they seemed to be quite happy with the amount. In Tamarind where we ate a number of times we got such exceptional service that we tipped 10$ as well. Not coming out of a country with a tradition for tipping, I'm not sure if that was too much or too little but I don't care about that. I felt the recipients were happy and we felt it was an amount they deserved. On the other hand we noticed that quite a lot of the guests in the specialty restaurants just went away without giving anything. At least we didn't see cash changing hands or lying on the tables but of course didn't want to be too inquisitive... So it's obviously your choice.

Another thought on the subject: I mentioned the exceptionally good service and care we had received in the Tamarind restaurant on a comment card - and this was noticed immediately. The two young waitresses got a free lunch in a restaurant in Copenhagen , paid for by their department and a recommendation out of it. So besides giving cash this is obviously another way of saying "thank you" for exceptional service.

Put me on the list of those who do not think the upcharge for Pinnacle includes anything for tips.

I really don't care where or how the tips are distributed. I don't care when I go to a local restaurant, when I tip a housekeeper in a hotel, when I tip a bellman, hair salon, florist delivery ....... once I tip, what happens to that money is no longer any concern of mine.

I know many disagree but it surprises me the amount of fascination and mad desire to know where every bit of every tip goes on cruise ships.

When eating at the "Pinnacle Grill" we found out at the end that it is not possible to add a tip on the receipt you get ( something which you can do for example in Celebrity's specialty restaurants) so I asked the head waiter about how it's done on HAL ships and he told us that they can keep cash tips. So we did just that: we tipped 10 $ for the two waiters and 5 $ for the sommelier for their first-class service and they seemed to be quite happy with the amount. In Tamarind where we ate a number of times we got such exceptional service that we tipped 10$ as well. Not coming out of a country with a tradition for tipping, I'm not sure if that was too much or too little but I don't care about that. I felt the recipients were happy and we felt it was an amount they deserved. On the other hand we noticed that quite a lot of the guests in the specialty restaurants just went away without giving anything. At least we didn't see cash changing hands or lying on the tables but of course didn't want to be too inquisitive... So it's obviously your choice.

Another thought on the subject: I mentioned the exceptionally good service and care we had received in the Tamarind restaurant on a comment card - and this was noticed immediately. The two young waitresses got a free lunch in a restaurant in Copenhagen , paid for by their department and a recommendation out of it. So besides giving cash this is obviously another way of saying "thank you" for exceptional service.

The only place you can write a tip on a HAL tab is in the salon as far as I know. It is easy enough to put a few dollars in your pocket when you know you are dining in an alternative restaurant. Should you forget, it is simple enough to excuse yourself, go to your cabin and get some tip money.