Help! How to use 2.5 gallon bags for packing

FLUFFLULA

I've read several posts about using 2.5 gallon bags to pack clothes before putting them in luggage, but I don't know the best way to use these bags. If you have used them for packing, is it best to pack a single outfit in each bag, multiple outfits in a bag, several pairs of shorts in a bag, etc? I want to try using them on our upcoming cruise so I appreciate your advice for using the bags the most effective way.

do you mean the vacuum bags?

Put as much as you can in a bag then squish the air out or if the vacuum ones suck the air out

I roll it & zip it then lay flat in the suitcase

Remember to weigh your bag as you can get more items in but the weight is the same without the bags ;)

But not less weight - keep that in mind.

KEY POINT! If you are truly successful in putting more in your bag by this method, you could also run the risk of extra charges for weight. We have never used this method...and have pushed the weight line (50 lbs domestically, 70 for international) a couple of times.

They don't have to be vacuum bags - regular ziplock bags from the dollar stores will work. I use them primarily for bulkier things. For example, I fold some knit polo shirts neatly and stack 4 or 5 of them, put them in the bag. I zip it most of the way closed, then press out the remaining air and finish closing. The point about the weight is very important - if you don't have a luggage scale, get one. It will save many times over its cost.

I use the big ziplocks to segregate clothes by the section of the trip I'm on:

Coming up, I'll use one big ziplock for the light weight, dressier tops and bottoms I'll need for New York (hot in August!).

One ziplock for the heavier, but still nice tops and bottoms I'll need in Reykjavik and for a land tour in Iceland.

One ziplock for the hiking layers I'll need on the expedition cruise from Greenland.

The outer layers and sweater will fill in any loose gaps in my suitcase.

This way, when I get to New York, I simply lift out the ziplock I need, the rest stay packed away, ready to head off to the next segment.

I very rarely take only a cruise. I combine a cruise with a longer trip in the area I cruise from. The ziplocks help make packing much more organized for that style of travel.

For me it depends on the trip. I pack undies in separate Ziplocks also socks. Then I just put the bag in a drawer at destination. That way my stuff doesn't touch the drawer, and easy just to put each bag in a drawer. I also do this with T-shirts, swimsuits, and accessories etc.

My daughter, however, when packing for kids puts a complete outfit in a bag with a name on the front. Easy for kids and saves mix-ups if you have similar age/gender kids.

Really love those bags!

There's no right or wrong way to pack using plastic bags, packing cubes, folders, bundle wrapping etc. or a combination of things.

Need to figure out what's best for you. Mom, Sis and I cruise together. Each of our packing styles is different.

One consideration is how you're getting to port. We pack one way when we're driving or take the Los Angeles Metro to port and carry on our luggage. We pack a different way (cross pack) if we are checking in luggage or flying to our port.

Lots of packing advice on the fashion board.

Edited by SadieN

KEY POINT! If you are truly successful in putting more in your bag by this method, you could also run the risk of extra charges for weight. We have never used this method...and have pushed the weight line (50 lbs domestically, 70 for international) a couple of times.

:eek:

I have never even reached the 50lbs limit even with the zipbags

what the heck do you pack:D

we have done month long cruise with 35-40lbs each

:eek:

I have never even reached the 50lbs limit even with the zipbags

what the heck do you pack:D

we have done month long cruise with 35-40lbs each

We commonly take one large suitcase and two carry ons. We have had our large suitcase in the high 40 lb range. And yes, for vacations/cruises of 25-30 days. For example, our 29 days in Australia (17 day cruise, rest land tour), our checked bag was 51 (70 is the limit for international) pounds.

So, you are saying 35-40 lbs for each person, in their own checked bag, we are talking 50lbs total, in one bag.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I pack 3 of DH's golf shirts in one zip-lock bag. I fold them as I normally would, then gently roll them and easily put 3 in a bag. I leave a little bit of air as a cushion and find they don't wrinkle at all. I can put up to 6 t-shirts in a bag - using the same method. I use a larger zip-lock to pack DH's tux - check out the You Tube video for instructions - it works like a charm. Again, be sure to leave a little air in the bag so it works like a cushion and things don't get squashed. Ditto for his tux shirt.

We also cross-pack (half of each other's clothes in 2 suitcases); that way if one piece of luggage gets lost, you still have something to wear until the other piece catches up with you.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Lordy..just pack as normal in a suitcase. You don't need bags, or separaters....

We, too, "cross-pack"...something for everyone in each suitcase.

Perhaps you only pack for yourself or a companion, packing in bags is great for families so that stuff for one person is together. Also, I find that drawers, both on ships and hotels, are not always super clean, or may have rough edges that can snag clothes; so much simpler to pack in bags and put the bag in the drawer.

Our first cruise I packed all the kids clothes in zip bags. It was very handy to have each outfit in a bag. I think two kids shared a suitcase at that point. Then I discovered packing cubes. Similar idea, but reusable. There are many brands out there and come in loads of colors. I got mine on Amazon.

Lordy..just pack as normal in a suitcase. You don't need bags, or separaters....

We, too, "cross-pack"...something for everyone in each suitcase.

For an uncomplicated trip, that works fine. For a trip spanning three very different climates / clothing requirements, the bags really help.

We usually roll our outfits for each day, including socks and skivvies, and pack...since we do variation of tshirt and shorts each day, makes life easy to just grab a roll. I will pack my maxi dresses in a gallon bag to keep them from getting too wrinkly. (This trip, our formal is going to be more casual...specialty dining.)

Also, for our carry on bags, we usually cross pack -- I have a outfit for my hubby and myself, and visa versa. We always pack those complete outfits in a ziplock just to streamline space in the bags...should make a good cushion for the wine, too!:D Extra gallon bags always come in handy.

Guest maddycat
Our first cruise I packed all the kids clothes in zip bags. It was very handy to have each outfit in a bag. I think two kids shared a suitcase at that point. Then I discovered packing cubes. Similar idea, but reusable. There are many brands out there and come in loads of colors. I got mine on Amazon.

I reuse my ziploc bags.

I have used the zip lock bag method for years, for both cruise packing and other trips, and consistently find non-wrinkled clothes when unpacking.

My method is to put 4-5 of my knit tops, or other clothing items, in each bag, lay it on a flat surface ( I either use the bed or a card table that I use for folding), zip the bag about 80% closed, then sweep my forearm across the bag from bottom to top to burp the air our of it, and then finish closing the "zip".

I place the filled bags flat in the suitcases, as I have found that rolling them results in wrinkled clothes that have to be pressed before wearing.

But not less weight - keep that in mind.

So true, our challenge is not space it is weight. We do use plastic cleaner covers when packing garments, keeps them from wrinkling, usually one per garment, we fold vs roll garments.

I iron every piece of clothing very thoroughly and fold them very carefully on a flat surface. I have very few wrinkles. Haven't tried the bags, but I can see that they would be useful in a number of different ways. Have to try them!

For an uncomplicated trip' date=' that works fine. For a trip spanning three very different climates / clothing requirements, the bags really help.[/quote']

Yep,

One April we took a repo cruise LA-Vancouver. Packed our jackets (2 per) in space bags. Was able to get them into the front slit pocket of our luggage.

Edited by SadieN