Any comments regarding BBKing club on Rotterdam?

PDXgranny

Yes. They play at Crow's Nest. In june (Norse Legends cruise) they were amazing. It gets loud due to the low ceiling, but the energy of the vocalist Tempest was out of this world. I wrote a longer review of that cruise...

Miss Tempest Barnes, female lead vocalist, now entertaining audiences with her talent on Westerdam; awesome~

I am not sure BB King is on the Rotterdam. I thought they were only on the Vista and larger ships. I can tell you in 25 days as we board on Feb 12 :D

I think the Rotterdam is the only "smaller" ship they are on, and, as the original flagship, I think they should be. I could be wrong and am happy to be corrected;)

You might have a hard time between choosing between them and Stryker at the the piano. Or dashing between the venues ;)

Yes. They play at Crow's Nest. In june (Norse Legends cruise) they were amazing. It gets loud due to the low ceiling, but the energy of the vocalist Tempest was out of this world. I wrote a longer review of that cruise...

Very cool - we'll be spending a lot of evenings there!!

Miss Tempest Barnes, female lead vocalist, now entertaining audiences with her talent on Westerdam; awesome~

Agree. Tempest is awesome. Was on Noordam spring '15 and absolutely BEST BB King Band on that cruise. Along with Daryl as lead male, what a performance every nite. They had the place jumping. Sooo enjoyed it. Last few cruises BB King Bands definitely didn't compare to that one.

Edited by jabcruiser

I was just on the 1/2 - 1/13 cruise and BB King played on 8 of 11 nights. (They have 1 night off each week and one member got sea sick one day so they didn't perform.)

They are in the crows nest and I preferred the sound to their venue on the Eurodam in which we have cruised 23 days with BB King. I like the more "in the round" feeling of the venue and it was more intimate. The lights are not as nice but the volume didn't require ear plugs like on the Eurodam.

A new BB King group boarded on 1/13 so I can't speak to their skills, but the one we had was the best we had experienced on any ship and we often skipped the main shows to hear them perform. One of the best things musically that Holland has done. (we do like the classical musicians like Adagio or Lincoln Center Stage but those musicians perform and don't engage those attending.)

I hope you enjoy them as much as we did

Agree. Tempest is awesome. Was on Noordam spring '15 and absolutely BEST BB King Band on that cruise. Along with Daryl as lead male, what a performance every nite. They had the place jumping. Sooo enjoyed it. Last few cruises BB King Bands definitely didn't compare to that one.

Was there also on NODM in 2015. Darryl Johnson and Tempest were excellent

I was just on the 1/2 - 1/13 cruise and BB King played on 8 of 11 nights. (They have 1 night off each week and one member got sea sick one day so they didn't perform.)

They are in the crows nest and I preferred the sound to their venue on the Eurodam in which we have cruised 23 days with BB King. I like the more "in the round" feeling of the venue and it was more intimate. The lights are not as nice but the volume didn't require ear plugs like on the Eurodam.

A new BB King group boarded on 1/13 so I can't speak to their skills, but the one we had was the best we had experienced on any ship and we often skipped the main shows to hear them perform. One of the best things musically that Holland has done. (we do like the classical musicians like Adagio or Lincoln Center Stage but those musicians perform and don't engage those attending.)

I hope you enjoy them as much as we did

Thank you! Sounds like HAL brings in great musicians. We're blues/rock lovers so this will be great. DH is in a local geezer band - so he'll be really glad.

Recently off the Rotterdam from a 42 day cruise. While entertaining, if you really want blues, be prepared to not hear any at the 'B B King Blues Club'. In five appearances, not one blues number. Lots of rock, pop, funk, jazz, motown, you name it - no blues. The small audience turnout didn't seem to mind though. I quit going after the fifth night. Too bad since I was really looking forward to it.

Edited by zbxb006

Tempest Barnes and the rest were on the Rotterdam for the Voyage of the Vikings last summer. I went nearly every night and thought them terrific. The audience nightly was minuscule. Really too bad...they are really talented.

That's a shame. The B B King shows on the Noordam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam were usually packed. If you have been to any of the BB King clubs, the music is very much in line with what the house bands play there. It's definitely more R&B, rock and some disco than Blues. If you go to the House of Blues clubs, it's the same deal. They did always play "Mustang Sally" & "Rock Me Baby," both of which are on the top ten blues songs list.

We never went on the Nieuw Amsterdam TransAtlantic, although we heard just about every word through the ceiling/walls! I was happy to read that they do not seem quite as loud in the Crow's Nest on the Rotterdam.

With another TA of 8 seadays this April, perhaps I can get DH to sit through a few sets!

I agree on the "no blues" aspect. I was also disappointed. However, the musicians were very talented but very loud. Loudness may be a problem for some people.

DD

We spent 55 days on a recent cruise. We went to see BBKing 3/4 times and thought the music was very poor and very loud. We would not want to see them again. Very poor attendance the times that we attended. Poor use of HAL Resources.

• 1 month later...

We saw BB King for the first time on March 2015 Caribbean cruise, and they were the best: Tempest Barnes and Daryl had the crowd hopping. Then we saw Tempest again on the Rotterdam in October 2015 in a smaller band on the Mediterranean, where hardly anyone attended the Crow's Nest. She still puts on a good show, but the Daryl/Tempest combo was the best - just unbelievable. There is a Youtube video from Scott showing their March 2015 performance.

We do not care for BB King and until now thought we were the only ones. They are very loud and their music is not to our liking. However the majority of posters here seem to think they are the cat's meow. I somewhat suspect a lot more don't like them but don't want to post anything negative. There I said it!

Saw her on the Westie in January. She is top quality talent. Anyone who is lucky enough to see her perform will see her sing Whitney, Ella and Etta James incarnate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How was it??

If you are on a cruise w BB King and you plan to listen to them, make sure to bring very good earplugs. I stood outside the venue in the hall and they were still too loud. I have no idea how good they were as I do not need to have my hearing destroyed by overly loud music.

DON