New Dining Room Menus

ksmaxey

Captain Albert in his blog for 12/9/16 mentioned the changes that have been much discussed here including the new interactive tv's and the new room service breakfast menus. He also mentioned that HAL is rolling out new Dining Room menus. Has anyone experienced the new menu or heard any news about them?

Captain Albert in his blog for 12/9/16 mentioned the changes that have been much discussed here including the new interactive tv's and the new room service breakfast menus. He also mentioned that HAL is rolling out new Dining Room menus. Has anyone experienced the new menu or heard any news about them?

Don't know if these were "new menu" items, but on our recent Veendam last month, we had a lot more international type choices. Less meat and potato type dinners. Smaller portions, greater variety and all quite nice. One can compose an array of choices and flavors, from across the new variety of offerings.

However, this has been in place now for several cruises so not sure if this is the "new" or not. I like the changes so I assume things will get even better - as for variety and choice as well as keeping many of the traditional offerings as well.

I did miss liver and onions on our last cruise - don't know if it has left the menus totally or I just missed it that night.

I think the new menus are on this site.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

I did miss liver and onions on our last cruise - don't know if it has left the menus totally or I just missed it that night.

I had great liver and onions on Maasdam in September. I'd hate it if that were gone.

I'm not a big red meat eater and love the vegetarian selections. I'll be happy with salmon, halibut, shrimp and lobster.

Liver:eek: Here kitty kitty. I have a treat for you:)

Well, I guess we can't eat together on our upcoming Zaandam cruise :):):). <just kidding, only kidding>

Seriously, a couple at our fixed seating table on Maasdam was grossed out by me nearly every night. I'm an "offal" eater.....so when it was on the menu, I ordered the liver, carpaccio, oxtails, sweetbreads, etc, in the MDR. Glad they didn't see me (and some friends) eating the beef tartare in the PG. And I can't stand the smell or taste of cooked fish. Luckily, I live in the Seattle area and have great sushi at least once a week.

Liver Here kitty kitty. I have a treat for you

Haha! When I first went with SveaGirl to my future in-laws for dinner I was shocked that her Mom took a bowl of liver out to the farm cats. I asked my future bride about it and she said they never ate liver (they raised their own beef) and always fed it to the cats. I had a friend when I was young whose Dad was long time Navy (Commander of Seattle base on Harbor Is.) and ate liver and onions (with bacon) every morning so when I stayed overnight there that's what breakfast was. Learned to love it! But DW still won't touch it - it's cat food to her.

I'll have to be on the lookout for it on Oosterdam.

Caribbean 14-day cruises use a 7-day Series A and B menu system with only some slight MDR entree changes between the two.

I'm curious. Are the 7-Day Series A and B menus used on a 14 day cruise, the same menus they would use on a 7-Day cruise? Perhaps A for Eastern and B for Western or vice versa?

I'm still looking for the menus that will be used on my forth coming (march 17) Oosterdam Western cruise.

Haha! When I first went with SveaGirl to my future in-laws for dinner I was shocked that her Mom took a bowl of liver out to the farm cats. I asked my future bride about it and she said they never ate liver (they raised their own beef) and always fed it to the cats. I had a friend when I was young whose Dad was long time Navy (Commander of Seattle base on Harbor Is.) and ate liver and onions (with bacon) every morning so when I stayed overnight there that's what breakfast was. Learned to love it! But DW still won't touch it - it's cat food to her.

I would have skipped breakfast.

Liver is cat food.

I'm curious. Are the 7-Day Series A and B menus used on a 14 day cruise, the same menus they would use on a 7-Day cruise? Perhaps A for Eastern and B for Western or vice versa?

I'm still looking for the menus that will be used on my forth coming (march 17) Oosterdam Western cruise.

Generally speaking, you'd have A menus one week and B menus the following week. For ships that alternate Eastern & Western Caribbean itineraries, you have series A one week and series B the next. It's usually fairly consistent A - B - A - B, etc, but there will be some variation as ingredients go in and out of season.

LOL Got kick out of your post.. I love liver with bacon & onions, but I can't stand to handle it or cook it..

Once in a great while, we go to a small local restaurant & I can get my Liver with bacon & onions.. :) But DH will not touch it:eek::eek:..

Edited by serendipity1499

He's put up the new menus for the longer cruises. No seven day menus.

Yes, I'd also like to see the 7 day Caribbean menus. Would they generally use 7 of the 10/11 day menus? Or are they completely different?

Do they actually have sushi at the Lido at lunch every day? is it any good?

Yes, I'd also like to see the 7 day Caribbean menus. Would they generally use 7 of the 10/11 day menus? Or are they completely different?

Do they actually have sushi at the Lido at lunch every day? is it any good?

IMHO for provisioning purposes for cruises out of FLL the 7-day menus are probably included in the 10/11-day menu series. Until someone posts the 7-day menus for this season, a comparison cannot be made.

Sushi was available on the Nieuw Amsterdam May 2016 and Zuiderdam Nov 2016. Sushi quality is in the palate of the diner and I have not tried the HAL sushi lately.

Sushi quality is in the palate of the diner ...
Ain't it the truth? Though, at least one bit of objective info you could share, perhaps? Did it seem chilled? (That would be bad, imho, and a reasonable indicator of several other aspects of their addressing of sushi, i.e., climbing on a trend versus actually offering a cuisine with integrity.)

IMHO for provisioning purposes for cruises out of FLL the 7-day menus are probably included in the 10/11-day menu series. Until someone posts the 7-day menus for this season, a comparison cannot be made.

Sushi was available on the Nieuw Amsterdam May 2016 and Zuiderdam Nov 2016. Sushi quality is in the palate of the diner and I have not tried the HAL sushi lately.

So HAL still offers Sushi for free? Sadly main competitor Celebrity does not offer it anymore unless you are willing to pay extra for it, what I wouldn't do at all.

Did HAL offer it for dinner @lido cafe?

Seriously, a couple at our fixed seating table on Maasdam was grossed out by me nearly every night. I'm an "offal" eater.....so when it was on the menu, I ordered the liver, carpaccio, oxtails, sweetbreads, etc, in the MDR. Glad they didn't see me (and some friends) eating the beef tartare in the PG. And I can't stand the smell or taste of cooked fish. Luckily, I live in the Seattle area and have great sushi at least once a week.

You sound like my kind of foodie....I would have had to change tables if I sat with others who were vocally disgusted at my dining choices. That's partly the reason why I've given up on sitting with strangers in the dining room. I don't need your opinions on my plate if you haven't paid for my cruise.

Well, I guess we can't eat together on our upcoming Zaandam cruise :):):). <just kidding, only kidding>

We'd really have had an interesting time together, being that we eat nothing other than fish, shellfish, and vegetarian dishes. ;) Edited by bUU