School me on luggage tags

I'm been reading the Amazon thread, and it's great. Many of the the things on there I have. But not luggage tags. They have come up more than a few times, and I'm wondering why do people buy special luggage tags. We've been traveling for a long time without them, but if there's a good reason to, I will buy some for our luggage.

Back when Carnival changed from sending luggage tags via mail (several years ago) to having cruisers print their own, we opted to buy the clear plastic tag holders from favors by serendipity dot com. I refused then, and still do now, from making it an arts & crafts project to attach luggage tags to our suitcases. No need for staples, tape, a hot glue gun, rivets or anything else. We just fold the tags and put them in the reusable sleeves. Very simple.

Back when Carnival changed from sending luggage tags via mail (several years ago) to having cruisers print their own, we opted to buy the clear plastic tag holders from favors by serendipity dot com. I refused then, and still do now, from making it an arts & crafts project to attach luggage tags to our suitcases. No need for staples, tape, a hot glue gun, rivets or anything else. We just fold the tags and put them in the reusable sleeves. Very simple.

I have used those from Serendipity my last 5 cruises. I give them to everyone I cruise with.

I always have to fly to port, and I find it's easier just to have my printed tags in the clear plastic holders to whip out of my suitcase and attach once I'm on my way to the port. That way I don't have to worry about finding somebody with a stapler or carrying anything. Plus I know they'll stay attached, they'll protect the paper, and they're reusable. And they look classy--I print my tags in color. :)

I bought a set from Amazon and love them. Easy on and easy off. I tend to "put them away" between cruises and can't find them so I order more.....my next cruise is in November so I better start looking now. For the price it is well worth it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The clear plastic luggage tags are way more convenient that packing tape and they really aren't that expensive at all. If you plan on cruising more than once in your life, I would highly recommended them. Just take a look by all the racks of luggage waiting to be fork lifted onto your next cruise and you may see a few of the paper ones scattered about. Not worth the risk to me.

Good luck!

No need to buy them , we staple them around our luggage handles and never had a problem in over 30 cruises.

You've been lucky then, my first ever cruise a tag got torn off one of my bags after checking it with carnivals baggage handlers. It wasn't until after dinner I was able to get it. My other bags arrived by 1:00pm. I thought they had lost my bag cause they couldn't find it until after 7pm. It was the bag that had my cloths in it. I was already making plans after dinner to buy some cloths from the fun shops and then more at our first port. After that ordeal, never again, I bought the highwind luggage tags.

I usually put packing tape over mine, hole punch & affix with an elastic ponytail holder. I also make a small one & attach to my camera strap. I have thought about ordering the plastic sleeves, but haven't yet. I guess it doesn't bother me to fold & tape enough to spend money on tag holders. We rarely check our luggage, but I like having a tag on carryons, totes, etc. On the off chance that we will inadvertently leave something behind, my hope is that someone would turn it in to guest services.

Just take a look by all the racks of luggage waiting to be fork lifted onto your next cruise and you may see a few of the paper ones scattered about.

Hmmmmm...never seen that. You make it sound common.

My Tag fell off and I didn't get my luggage until the next morning sitting the in the middle of the floor by guest services. Since then the luggage tags are the way to go for me because of the medal piece that hold it on there and the plastic case help prevent it from ripping.

We have the heavy clear plastic sleeves. Love them. We change them out from one cruise to another. No tape or staples needed.

We bought ours at AAA for a very reasonable price. Have used them on 5 cruises so far and they still look like new.:D

Like others have said, you don't necessarily 'need' them. But the clear plastic ones are nice, and it makes it really easy to use the self-printed luggage tags. You don't have to worry about stapling or taping it enough to prevent ink runs, or to prevent the paper from ripping off. And they're pretty inexpensive.