Are Passports REALLY needed?

suebug17

If you are a US citizen, and the cruise starts and ends at the same US port, all you need is a certified copy of your birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

This may or may not be true. I am taking a "closed loop" cruise. It starts and ends in Ft Lauderdale and I am a US citizen, but if I don't bring my passport I will not be going on my upcoming cruise!.

The cruise I am on also visits Spain, Greece, Italy, etc! Try to take a cruise to those places without a passport?

My only point is just because a cruise starts and ends at the same US port doesn't automatically mean that you do not need a passport.

This may or may not be true. I am taking a "closed loop" cruise. It starts and ends in Ft Lauderdale and I am a US citizen, but if I don't bring my passport I will not be going on my upcoming cruise!.

The cruise I am on also visits Spain, Greece, Italy, etc! Try to take a cruise to those places without a passport?

My only point is just because a cruise starts and ends at the same US port doesn't automatically mean that you do not need a passport.

The missing info is that to qualify as a "closed loop" cruise the cruise must start and end in the same US city and travel only within the Western Hemisphere as defined by the Western Hemipshere Travel Initiative. Sounds like a wonderful itinerary you have:).

The missing info is that to qualify as a "closed loop" cruise the cruise must start and end in the same US city and travel only within the Western Hemisphere as defined by the Western Hemipshere Travel Initiative. Sounds like a wonderful itinerary you have:).

It is a wonderful itinerary to celebrate our 45 anniversary!

All the answers here so far are correct...I would recommend getting a passport though as you never know when traveling when an emergency could happen. If you plan on leaving the US it's just a good idea to have a passport. I realize the OP said she isn't leaving the ship but in an emergency that could become a necessity so you should be prepared. It is however your choice so do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Your post was the most unnecessary of all. ;)

as opposed to all the opinion posts when all the OP wanted was a yes/no fact answer. ;)

But of course it has been a few days, so a new "do i need a passport" thread was needed. Info in the other 842 threads on this topic was not accurate so we needed a new one. :rolleyes:

True -- but there are also no provisions in US law that requires CBP (or even PERMITS CBP) the authority to GRANT admittance to someone who is "... without the requisite documentation...".

The "CBP Inspectors Manual" provides for admission of someone claiming US citizenship but without a valid passport. Practically speaking, it would be extremely unlikely for an undocumented citizen to get to a Port of Entry, particularly by air. But there is provision . . .

12.5 United States Passport Waivers.

(a) General. Although primarily charged with the responsibility of determining citizenship, you are required to verify the validity of a United States passport when one is required by law. When an applicant fails to present a passport or presents an expired document, the immigration officer shall, if satisfied that the person is a United States citizen, advise the individual of the necessity of having a valid U.S. passport. Although technically you are waiving the passport requirement for the Department of State, no form need be completed. In addition, there is no fee collected by INS. (Paragraph (a) revised 10/21/98; IN99-02)

Edited by CPT Trips

I won't be getting off the ship at all due to mobility problems, but the rest of my family will. We all have birth certificates and drivers licenses.

Your particular cruise does not require a passport, but I did highlight a quote from your question because I want to point out that for other cruises that would require a passport, staying on board the ship does not absolve you from having a passport. When you're in the territorial waters of a foreign country, you're considered IN that country and if a passport is required, it doesn't matter if you stay on board the ship or not, you must have a passport.

The "CBP Inspectors Manual" provides for admission of someone claiming US citizenship but without a valid passport. Practically speaking, it would be extremely unlikely for an undocumented citizen to get to a Port of Entry, particularly by air. But there is provision . . .

You wouldn't happen to have a link to the source document that you could share, would you?

The operative phrase is "if satisfied that the person is a

US citizen". Just how would the agent be so "satisfied" if that person had NO documentation?

US citizen". Just how would the agent be so "satisfied" if that person had NO documentation?

There are multiple databases they can access for one thing and they do have the ability to take finger prints. I've even heard of them calling family if necessary, sometimes to bring documentation to the border. They do have their ways.

No, they cannot legally cross the border from Mexico into the US without a passport.

I am not sure if it is illegal or not. You certainly can't be denied entry if you are a legal US citizen. I can tell you people cross by the hundreds if not 1000's of time per day at the Mexican border between Tijuana and San Ysidro. All that happens is it takes more time to verify that one is a citizen. The custom and border patrol I think has a separate line for those crossing by foot to process those without appropriate documentation. If your in a car, you might get sent to secondary inspection which can be a real pain in terms of extended waiting.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to the source document that you could share, would you?

No url, it was copied from a .pdf . . . Was released after years pending a foia request with some st ions heavily redacted. I have a hunch that manual has been superseded, but the procedure and authority still are in effect.

Heck it's the government. They have you in all sorts of databases. With your name, ssan, dob, and other personal information you provide they can tell you stuff about yourself that you forgot. Then there are also fingerprints . . .

Consider also that you may well have some documents, just not "the requisite documents." That makes it even easier for them.

No url, it was copied from a .pdf . . . Was released after years pending a foia request with some st ions heavily redacted. I have a hunch that manual has been superseded, but the procedure and authority still are in effect.

Thank you. I have no doubt that the authority still exists.

• 3 months later...