Beer and Food and Vegemite

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions on what to serve and your wonderful Australian humor. I am LOL over my typo for "pawns on the Barbie" instead of "prawns on the Barbie."

With us, will will have a total of 12 for our dinner. Hopefully it will not rain and we can be out on our deck. We will be in late Spring so we will either have rain or hot weather.

We were in Australia and New Zealand in February and March. We did a back to back cruise from Sydney to Auckland and then back to Sydney where we spend several days. Some of the highlights included attending the Sydney Royal Easter Show... We spend the whole day and even went to the evening performance of " The Man from Snowy River" and going to the Te Papa museum in Wellington and seeing Peter Jackson's exhibit on Gallopoli which was very moving ( I cried). We do love Australia and New Zealand. 💖💖💖

Get some mates to put on a re enactment of "Man" in your back yard, while reciting the poem...

There was movement at the station

For the word had got around

That the Colt from "Old Regret"

Had got away

And all the cracks had gathered to the fray.

Maybe line by line and get the guests to try and figure out things like

What's a station

What's a crack

And on and on.

Damn it! I now feel like a sausage sizzle. Pity it's a Thursday, I can't run up to Bunnings and grab one (under the disguise of getting stuff for the garden!)

Those Bunnings sausage sizzles are dangerous.

To my waist line anyway.

Hard to resist, aren't they? :eek: :D

Any sausage sizzle is hard to resist. The smell of bbq onion wafting. Our local Bunnings is even trickier, they kick off with Bacon and Egg sangers first up, it's a plot I tell you. If you arrive at the wrong time you just have to have a b&e on the way in and a sausage and onion on the way out.

A plot I say

A plot

But Kudos to Bunnings who supply the bbq the tables the gazebo and the gas a great public service, one day when the group whose turn it was couldn't staff it the store manager got staff to do it and donated the money to the groups that usually take turns to run it.

and better than Man From Snowy River, play them John Williamsons Waltzing Matilda and let them figure out

Swagman

Billabong

Billy

Matilda

Jumbuck

Tucker Bag

Squatter

Trooper

Koolibah

Etc.

Keep em busy for a while.

Edited by GUT2407

and better than Man From Snowy River, play them John Williamsons Waltzing Matilda and let them figure out

Swagman

Billabong

Billy

Matilda

Jumbuck

Tucker Bag

Squatter

Trooper

Koolibah

Etc.

You could add to that. How many meanings for the word "blue".

Blue was havin' a blue and copped a bluey.

I would toast some bread and spread with butter and vegemite (sparingly if you aren't used to it), top it with cheese and stick it under the grill until the cheese is turning brown. Cut them up into small squares to serve as a before barbie snack. Hmm this is our weekend breakfast.

This way it doesn't take too long to make in case no body likes vegemite :eek:

At our bbq's we always cook the snags first and eat them in bread with sauce while cooking the rest of the meat. Extra points awarded if you spill the sauce down your top!

My mum used to make a the best lamingtons for afters. Chocolate was my favourite although the strawberry wasn't far behind.

Enjoy your bbq!

Swagman

Billabong

Billy

Matilda

Jumbuck

Tucker Bag

Squatter

Trooper

Koolibah

Etc.

How many people (Aussies) know what the swagman's name was???????

I was recently introduced to vegemite topped with avocado on biscuits ie crackers in USA. Delicious. My USA friends love our tim tams and twisties, have to take a good supply over when visiting them.

I was recently introduced to vegemite topped with avocado on biscuits ie crackers in USA. Delicious. My USA friends love our tim tams and twisties, have to take a good supply over when visiting them.

I like it topped with celery.

Cannot believe that nobody has suggested a Damper with butter and Golden Syrup.

Pumpkin Scones are good too and go well with some billy tea. has to have some ash from the fire.

If you want to go up market cook some Barramundi with a crust of crushed Macadamia Nuts and Lemon Myrtle. Serve with a jacket potato and sour cream with chives.

Cannot believe that nobody has suggested a Damper with butter and Golden Syrup.

Pumpkin Scones are good too and go well with some billy tea. has to have some ash from the fire.

If you want to go up market cook some Barramundi with a crust of crushed Macadamia Nuts and Lemon Myrtle. Serve with a jacket potato and sour cream with chives.

Thought damper might be a bit complex, used to lave making the dough, wrap it around a sick, cook it, pull out the stick so you have a hollow cone of damper, fill that with syrup.

Yummy.

In celebration of our love for all things Australia, we are having an Australian cattleman' dinner with Pawns on the Barbie and steaks and emu meatballs. I need help in figuring out what side dishes to serve. What would you recommend? And how is Cooper's beer? ( that is the only Australian beer that we could find to buy in the New Jersey, New York, and Eastern Pennsylvania area). For dessert we are making a Lamington cake and a vanilla slice custard pastry. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. We were also trying to figure out how to make a tasty appetizer with some vegemite as one of the ingredients.

Although it's not BBQ food, no Australian themed gastronomical extravaganza would be complete without some meat pies. The quintessential and definitive Aussie food.

I don't know if you can find or make them, but party pies like these, always go down a treat with me and mine.

http://www.recipetineats.com/party-pies-mini-beef-pies/

Add in some tomato sauce, preferably Fountain brand, and Bob's your uncle.

You might get emu meatballs in South Australia. The pub at Parachilna used to have signs out on the track saying 'Bring your own roadkill and we'll cook it for you." They had kangaroo, emu, feral camel, goat, all sorts served as steaks, hamburgers, casseroles. Even pizza.