Power Strips, Surge Protectors, Charging Hubs

m8zenblue

I won't do this as well as our resident chief engineer, and I'm uncertain of the wiring in the UK, so this problem may be different for you...

A typical US land-based circuit has a hot wire, a neutral wire, and a ground. The surge protector interrupts the hot side when it senses a surge. On the ship, you have two hot wires that each supply 55-60V; there is no neutral and there's a floating ground. So a fault in the ships system can translate upstream on the neutral side of a surge protector, potentially causing a fire (there are USCG bulletins on this. chengkp75 has posted multiple times that no ship's systems are surge protected; not needed, wouldn't work.

If, as I recall, the UK/European 220V system have two hot wires, then a surge protector for 220 shouldn't have the same problem, but I am not an electrician or an electrical engineer.

The difference is the wiring on the ship.

Thanks for the reply.

U.K. Land systems are the same as US, just a different voltage (240v, live , neutral & earth in U.K. speak).

I won't pretend to understand the difference in using 2 live wires but I'm happy that there is a genuine reason .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a long thread elsewhere on CC explaining what is allowed & what is not (and why)

My understanding is that anything with a circuit breaker is allowed but simple multi-strip is allowed.

We took a simple 3-plug adapter on a recent trip & it was fime.

I will also note, however, that the 4-USB plug had seemed to have had 2 of its sockets blown away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have something like this in a us version, plus I bought this with a eu plug which is my new cruise companion so I don't use a regular plug. Just sailed Feb-Mar, no issues.

41OqYAF67RL._AC_US218_.jpg

Do you have a manufacturer or model for the device you posted? I've been looking on Amazon for something similar and there are so many it's hard to narrow down my search. I'm on the Solstice in June and am looking for an approved device for charging our electronics during the cruise. Thanks!

If it's surge protected, don't bring it.

Even if you have brought a surge-protected device in the past, don't use that as a justification for bringing an unsafe device on future cruises.

The device I posted is simply a 4gang extension with no added circuitry . Perfectly safe.

I can't say whether this is surge protected or not, but lots of UK stuff isn't. What i will say, is that UK/European power strips tend to be safer onboard ships than US ones. This is because the on/off switch slash circuit breaker will open both legs of the power circuit, not just the hot one like US. Also, the UK plugs usually have a fuse in them as well, for added protection.

The item in the pic is not surge-protected.

ALL UK 13A plugs MUST have a fuse of the appropriate rating incorporated.

Although they are called 13 Ampere plugs they are often fitted with 3 Ampere (older ones with 5 Ampere) fuses depending upon the device being used.

I have something like this in a us version, plus I bought this with a eu plug which is my new cruise companion so I don't use a regular plug. Just sailed Feb-Mar, no issues.

41OqYAF67RL._AC_US218_.jpg

While this unit is not surge protected, due to having only a two prong plug (surge protection requires a path to ground), I would not recommend this unit, as using the power socket, which accepts a 3-prong grounded plug gives the impression of safety for the user should that device become grounded, but in fact since the plug is only 2-prong, there is a chance of shock.

Thanks for the reply.

U.K. Land systems are the same as US, just a different voltage (240v, live , neutral & earth in U.K. speak).

I won't pretend to understand the difference in using 2 live wires but I'm happy that there is a genuine reason .

The reason ships don't use a neutral connected at the same potential as the ground is that ships use a different "source" for ground. On land, there is a metal stake driven into the earth to provide a pathway to "earth" or "ground", the base potential, and current can flow freely into the ground with no harm. On a ship, the equivalent "ground" would be through the steel hull of the ship to the ocean water. The problem with allowing current to flow through a steel structure when submerged in sea water is that is causes electrolysis wastage of the steel, which is never a good thing. So, ships keep the ground separated from the "neutral" wire, and also run the ground back to the neutral point of the generators, so that only accidental ground current would flow through the hull. Monitoring systems are installed to detect when something onboard has failed to ground, much like a ground fault circuit breaker does in homes.

The problem with surge protectors is that they do not "interrupt" the current when a voltage spike happens, they "dump" or redirect the current from the hot leads to ground, so the excessive voltage does not harm the equipment protected by them. Here, if you are interested, is a thread where a CC poster, with an EE background, did not understand the problems with surge protectors, so he took my advice and went to experts, electrical engineering professors at maritime universities, and found out that surge protectors are indeed dangerous onboard ships, see post #10:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2271143

I am sailing next week. Just to be clear, is a regular, US extension cord WITHOUT any kind of surge protection allowed on the ship or not?

Thanks for your help

The what not to pack list includes:

Electrical extension cords

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan-and-book/before-you-go-getting-ready?tab=before_you_go_getting_ready

The list really needs to be updated as they are clearly cracking down on most forms of multiple outlets/power strips, surge protectors, etc. as also being a fire hazard.

I am sailing next week. Just to be clear, is a regular, US extension cord WITHOUT any kind of surge protection allowed on the ship or not?

Thanks for your help

From some of the posts saying they sailed recently, it seems like they enforce the rule differently depending on the ship. My experience was any cord with the ability to plug in more than 1 electrical item into it, was taken away. We had packed several. A single plug in cord was ok. Meaning you plug it into an electrical outlet at one end and you plug something into the other end for power. I got the impression, the cruise line does not want multiple electrical items plugged into one power cord, surge protector or not. Because there was no electrical outlet in the bathroom of the Summit, and only a few in the wall near the desk, there wasn't much opportunity to plug more than one cord into an electrical socket anyway.

Hopefully this answers your question. Just don't bring a cord that allows more than one item to be plug into it for power and you will be ok.

If no outlet in the bathroom how do you ladies plug in any hair tools? Or are they even allowed? lol I'm looking to be able to bring atleast a flat iron if not one other device (curling wand). Are hairdryers provided?

They do provide hair dryers, and the outlets at the desk (where there is also a mirror) are for you to use for hair styling devices.
Thank you!

Can anyone tell me if something like this will be a problem?

https://smile.amazon.com/Design-iClever-BoostCube-Charger-Foldable/dp/B01KWY73KI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490726935&sr=8-3&keywords=dual+usb+plug

Can someone tell me why anyone would need a strip that has six outlets on a cruise? OK, if you have a medical device, probably. All my electronics, camera batteries, nintendo's, etc, charge in less than two hours. So, if necessary, I would be able to charge 8 or 9 devices per day. With two outlets in a room, that's 16 to 18 charges. Why would someone need that strip?

That should be fine.

I usually carry an Anker USB power hub (6 port) with a short two prong cord. Although Amazon says it's surge protected, the consensus seems to be that this type of two pronged adapter doesn't have the same issues as surge protected power strips.

I always take a 4 gang (NOT surge protected) trailing socket - never had a problem.

Similar subject. Cel X are always pushing Modern Luxury'

Surely USB charging isnt too modern even for them ?

I always take a 4 gang (NOT surge protected) trailing socket - never had a problem.

I have installed these sockets (myself) in each room in our house (except bathrooms of course [emoji41]) Why cant X ???

Sent from my iPhone using ForumsIMG_1490731299.092299.jpg.193d1a31a9b76a860dc9cd0ed8a522e6.jpg

While aboard Infinity, we noticed that the light duty electrical outlet in the bathroom is now gone. It was built into the hair dryer housing mounted on the wall. The hair dryer has been replaced by a night light. I presume this is true for all M class ships.

They would not retrofit sockets just to include USBs, but I'm sure Celebrity Edge Class will have them as they've become much more prevalent. When Azamara updated their two ships a year or so ago they included a couple of USB charging sockets in the cabins and they are very useful. I bought a universal adaptor which includes two USB sockets that I always take with me on trips abroad, not just for the ship, but hotels too.

While aboard Infinity, we noticed that the light duty electrical outlet in the bathroom is now gone. It was built into the hair dryer housing mounted on the wall. The hair dryer has been replaced by a night light. I presume this is true for all M class ships.

Yes this is true. Once an M-class ship goes thru it's dry dock change, the bathroom socket is gone. It was difficult to only have a few available at the desk. And I didn't like having to dry and style hair at the desk/mirror area. The lighting is not the best there. It was a pain but workable.

....They would not retrofit sockets just to include USBs, but I'm sure Celebrity Edge Class will have them as they've become much more prevalent..

Why ???

it took me less than 3 minutes to replace each socket

They were advertising 'Modern Luxury' when selling S class cruises - false on both words IMHO

The what not to pack list includes:

Electrical extension cords

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan-and-book/before-you-go-getting-ready?tab=before_you_go_getting_ready

The list really needs to be updated as they are clearly cracking down on most forms of multiple outlets/power strips, surge protectors, etc. as also being a fire hazard.

I would pack it. You might need it at the hotel before or after the cruise. If you need one on the cruise for a medical device the cruise line will provide if needed.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app